banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone NOT like Sprauge Orange Drop capacitors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Anyone NOT like Sprauge Orange Drop capacitors?

Originally posted by STRATDELUXER97 View Post
    Welcome new member.....Tone is a combination of "all" the right components and not just 1 single aspect of it...
    Well, that's the thing that frightens me.

If something causes a difference physically, and it is too weak to hear it, but it is just right below the threshold that you can hear, then you will cause a better sound by combining several of these barely-not-audible differences ...

... if you manage to pick the right value for each without hearing it.

Comment

Originally posted by uOpt View Post
      Well, that's the thing that frightens me.

If something causes a difference physically, and it is too weak to hear it, but it is just right below the threshold that you can hear, then you will cause a better sound by combining several of these barely-not-audible differences ...

... if you manage to pick the right value for each without hearing it.
      Talking about this stuff doesn't frighten me,but getting bad tone does,plus it's not fun...
      Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Paper in oil caps are nice...but the biggest advantage to Spragues? I can get those and they don't cost an arm and a leg. I've seen some outfits charge as much as 40 dollars or more...for a capacitor!!!!

Come on now!!!

Sure...it's not as responsive (I know this...yeah, I'll admit it), but they work, and they're definitely a step up from the cheap caps found at Radio Shack or the Jensen caps which are found on a lot of high end guitars.
        Pleased to Meet You...Hope You Guessed my Name...

Comment

Originally posted by hermetico
          I really don't understand all this.
          Buy only what you want if it worths the money for you (or either if you are in love with its look) and let the rest to do whatever they want.

What are we really discussing here? The price of a cap?
          What's the price of a cap compared with the whole price of a guitar?
          Are you sure you aren't wasting money in other expensiver things that doesn't add tone, only fashion?.
          How long will last this cap in your hands? maybe in the same guitar, maybe in other guitar...
          Is a one time expense for the rest of life...

I thought the discussion was about if someone can hear or not differences, how big they are and if there is some technical reasons behind.
          Conclussions are:
          1. Some hear differences, some doesn't.
          2. Those that hear differences, say that they aren't as big as to mod other parts of the guitars but, is one more drop that fills the cup of tone.
          3. Some of those that hear differences think that they doesn't worth the money and go to cheaper caps.
          4. Some others use any cap that is around and doesn't care about differences.
          5. Some others buy caps because read in several posts (here or anywhere) that they are awesome. They could here a difference or not but they feel happier than before.
          6. Some choose their caps based on the easier that is to work in their wiring projects.
          7. Some others because they look fashion.
          AND EVERYTHING IS RIGHT TO ME.
          Be happy and let the rest be also happy.

(You is used here in general, not talking exactly about YOU).
          Stylistically it's also what works for you hermetico. I know a lot of guys who are constantly adjusting their tone knobs...for guys like that? Sure, it makes all the sense in the world to get the paper in oil caps. I know firsthand the different between going from 7 to 8 is off the charts when adjusting the tone knob.

On the same token? Live...I have to do double duty as a singer/guitarist. It's enough for me to concentrate on singing, playing, and adjusting the volume...tone's a bit much, so for me it's more of a case of "set and forget"...and Spragues, at least in my opinion, are just fine for that.

Point: If you don't have to spend extra money, then why bother?

PS: I don't think anyone's gonna convince me of any valid reason for a cap to cost more than 20 dollars...even for a high end one.

Comment

Originally posted by hermetico
            I NEVER tried to convince no one.
            Just, do the same.

Comment

Originally posted by STRATDELUXER97 View Post
              Welcome new member.....Tone is a combination of "all" the right components and not just 1 single aspect of it...
              You're right !

I experienced a lot with my guitars and I'm conviced the truth is to be found between your ears. There's no real rule and the choices i've made on my bluesy LP Burny with alnico 5, my jazzy Epi custom with alnico 2, my old japanese wierd country model (ARIA?) and my fantastic everything vintage armoured strat are not standard and not written in the users manuals ! nothing follows the same logic. It's everytime a new experimentation, but as you say, with always the right component that fits the right place for the right match of the "all".

Comment

i can't believe this thread is still going! lol
                our first drummer died in a bizzare gardening accident!

I won't dance in a club like this,
                'Cause all the girls are sluts,
                And the beer tastes just like piss.

Comment

Originally posted by jake_xms3_punk View Post
                  i can't believe this thread is still going! lol
                  Here I'll keep it going.... ;o) Bump
                  Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

lol

Comment

I agree with Sammy, he knows tone!

Peace,

Darrin

Comment

Bump.

Bwahahaha!

Comment

Interesting read.

Comment

lol na keep them coming

Comment

Originally posted by Sporky McGuffin View Post
                              I would like to point out (probably for the third or fourth time) that the only valid listening test is a blind test - and preferably a double-blind test.

I listen to stuff as part of my job and I am painfully aware that much of the time I am unable to make a valid judgement because I can't do it in a way that rules out expectation.

It is impossible to listen to one thing, then another thing, and make valid comparisons if you know what the two things are. The human hearing system is not capable of this. Not yours, not mine, not anyone's.

I'd recount my (fairly) recent experience with blind cable tests but no-one listened last time and no-one will listen this time.
                              It's not just sound, but a difference in pick attack and note feel, blind, double blind, hi tech, lo tech. I hear and feel a distinct difference between different caps of the exact same measured value. No toleranace myths.

Comment

Originally posted by FuelGTRX View Post
                                My Les Paul Standard has Sprauge Orange Drop capacitors in it. I bought it used like that. Right now I have a Pearly Gates in the bridge position and an Alnico II Pro in the neck position. Recently I installed a Pearly Gates in my strat. I wired it up with 500K pots with a typical .022 disc cap. Now I know guitars are going to sound different from each other, but the PG in the strat has considerably more output and is a bit more open sounding. Could the Orange Drops be choking the sound of my Les Paul a bit? I'm not sure what value they are, the coding on the side of them does not list the rating.
                                What is the distance between the strings and pup?

Cap 'Brands" should not make a big difference in volume.
                                Support Code 211 - Stop the bad boys, you know COPS!
                                When we do right nobody remembers when we do wrong nobody forgets!
                                Red Devils - 1% all the way!
                                Screw anyone who post negative crap on my post!
                                Finding out that there really is a lot of traffic on the Highway to Hell, but no waiting line on the Stairway to Heaven.

Comment

Working...
                                X