No announcement yet.

What Is Fender's "Twisted Tele Pickup"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What Is Fender's "Twisted Tele Pickup"?

Originally posted by MacBradley View Post
    FYI, you can buy the Twisted Tele pickups by themselves from Fender. You don't have to buy a Tele with one already in it to get one.
    yah i know, but they're being sold as set i just wanted the neck pickup so i was wondering maybe seymour duncan was selling a neck pickup exactly like the twisted set neck pickup

Comment

Originally posted by kjatexas View Post
      I saw a Fender promo video where it was pronounced that the twisted tele pickup sounds more like a Strat pickup. Fender, if I wanted a Strat sounding guitar, I would buy a Strat. I buy a Tele, because I want a Tele sound.
      I realize that this is an old thread, but figured I'd add my 2 cents.

I picked up a 2013 American Tele second hand which came stock with the "twisted" pickup in the neck and the Broadcaster in the bridge. Comparing it to other Telecasters the overall sound is a bit fuller and richer. It doesn't sound like either of my Stratocasters, but it does sound exactly like a Tele, only richer. This model also has the contour back instead of the flat slab which I like very much.

Comment

Muddy ? I'll show You muddy : )

Click image for larger version

Name:	M W  Rd.T.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	5793203

Comment

55,000+ views? I had them in my Baja Tele. They're round and deep and clear sounding with a little of that Strat bite. But I was having single coil hum issues with this guitar at that neck pickup slot no matter how much I rewired it and grounded it. So I replaced them with Fender SCN neck pickup which sounds similiar, although a bit humbuckery.
          Crash49 - my music on amazon and itunes
          http://a.co/8ht5Qes

Comment

Hardly anyone uses the tone control on the neck pickup of a vintage style Tele.

Why make a dull sounding pickup even duller?

So put the tone control on the bridge pickup only.

That'll brighten up the neck pickup.
            “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

the twisted Tele works awesome and AT 40 - 45 Bucks it's a bargain ~ U'd be throwing $ away on Anyone else's version .
              Also, when ya barely ever use the tone knob ~ it hardly matters where you wire the cap to .
              Last edited by KNUCKLHEAD; 06-14-2016, 08:04 PM.

Comment

I have a stock AS Tele with the twisted tele neck pickup that I actually used as my main guitar in a pink Floyd tribute act I was in. I love that the neck pickup could capture a bit of that strat neck pickup bite that was great for Shine On and could do a fair approximation of the bridge p90's on his gold top. Also the bridge pickup was powerful enough that with a muff and boost could fake his late 70's FS-1 tones with the tone rolled back a bit. Very versatile guitar.
                "We look forward to the time when the Power of Love will replace the Love of Power. Then will our world know the blessings of peace." Sri Chimroy, 1948

Comment

I concur on the twisted the only other neck pickup I've ever liked as well ( almost ) was a vintage 50's wiring Neck that seymour wired for scott lentz in my Last Tele ~ Got Stolen : ( I believe i've come to agree that I get a more Diverse array from the twisted -T. though , It's staying in my 300 hour build Tele that I did completely, It's not going Anywhere . I'm beginning to really dig some of the Tones . Use a chopper T in the Bridge ( just cant seem to leave a S coil in the Rear - Ever . I like that the Chopper is about Right on the Warmth ~ for Myself . Used to run a Super D for bridge in the Me & Lentz Tele but I always knew it was a tad too broken up when U really put the juice to it . Seems like the Chopper gives me good punch with good , acceptable bite ~ It's not leaving either , i doubt for my Style i will ever bother changing either after using zillions of configs over the 40+ years of playing the T's . ( again, these are MY Experiences )

ebagjones ~ Enjoy that Tele man , I cant live without 1 in the quiver
                  Last edited by KNUCKLHEAD; 07-20-2016, 03:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lewguitar View Post
                    Hardly anyone uses the tone control on the neck pickup of a vintage style Tele.

Why make a dull sounding pickup even duller?

So put the tone control on the bridge pickup only.

That'll brighten up the neck pickup.
                    Pardon my ignorance.

A few questions. Please could all questions be answered? That would be amazing!!

1. If a Tele ALWAYS has the tone set to 100% on (the brightest setting on the guitar) -
                    would the neck pickup tone actually become brighter if the guitar was rewired so the tone control only affected the bridge pickup?
                    If this actually made a difference - is it enough to turn a dark/dull neck pickup into a more articulate neck pickup?

2. My Tele neck pickup (Seymour Duncan STR-1 - considered vintage style) I believe has a brass pickup cover.
                    I consider this pickup too dark/dull compared to the STL-1b (broadcaster) which I also have installed. I love the STL-1b (Broadcaster)!
                    [ These 2 pickups form the "Broadcaster Set" that SD recommend are paired together. They are NOT a good tonal match at all!!! ]
                    If the brass STR-1 pickup cover was replaced with a nickel cover - would this brighten up the pickup sufficiently so it became a good tonal match for the STL-1b?

3. If swapping the brass cover of an STR-1 neck pickup for a nickel cover does not brighten it sufficiently to be paired with the STL-1b (Broadcaster) pickup - what would be the
                    best Tele neck pickup (SD or other brand) to pair with the SD STL-1b (Broadcaster).
                    Apart from being matched tonally - it must be the right output match too so there are no great volume differences between the 2 pickups.
                    For reference - here are the output figures for the STR-1 (that I potentially want to replace) and the STL-1b (Broadcaster) that I want to keep.

STR-1 (potentially want to replace this)
                    OUTPUT DCR:7.6
                    MAGNET:ALNICO 5
                    CABLE:CLOTH PUSH-BACK

STL-1b - Broadcaster (Want to keep this!)
                    OUTPUT
                    DCR:8
                    Last edited by Numerov; 01-07-2017, 12:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Numerov View Post
                      Pardon my ignorance.

A few questions. Please could all questions be answered? That would be amazing!!

1. If a Tele ALWAYS has the tone set to 100% on (the brightest setting on the guitar) -
                      would the neck pickup tone actually become brighter if the guitar was rewired so the tone control only affected the bridge pickup?
                      If this actually made a difference - is it enough to turn a dark/dull neck pickup into a more articulate neck pickup?

2. My Tele neck pickup (Seymour Duncan STR-1 - considered vintage style) I believe has a brass pickup cover.
                      I consider this pickup too dark/dull compared to the STL-1b (broadcaster) which I also have installed. I love the STL-1b (Broadcaster)!
                      [ These 2 pickups form the "Broadcaster Set" that SD recommend are paired together. They are NOT a good tonal match at all!!! ]
                      If the brass STR-1 pickup cover was replaced with a nickel cover - would this brighten up the pickup sufficiently so it became a good tonal match for the STL-1b?

3. If swapping the brass cover of an STR-1 neck pickup for a nickel cover does not brighten it sufficiently to be paired with the STL-1b (Broadcaster) pickup - what would be the
                      best Tele neck pickup (SD or other brand) to pair with the SD STL-1b (Broadcaster).
                      Apart from being matched tonally - it must be the right output match too so there are no great volume differences between the 2 pickups.
                      For reference - here are the output figures for the STR-1 (that I potentially want to replace) and the STL-1b (Broadcaster) that I want to keep.

STR-1 (potentially want to replace this)
                      OUTPUT DCR:7.6

STL-1b - Broadcaster (Want to keep this!)
                      OUTPUT
                      DCR:8
                      I'm gonna assume you just want answers (not explanations!) in which case:

1) yes

2) very likely (they ARE a 'correct' combination in the sense that they will make a Tele sound like a Tele!)

3)assuming you've not grounded the new cover AND you don't often come into contact/rest ya hand on it then it sounds like the Twisted Tele WOULD be for you...

Please always keep in mind that tone is subjective ��
                      Last edited by merseymale; 07-21-2017, 06:31 PM. Reason: Typo etc

Comment

Originally posted by Funkfingers View Post

Quick story. A few years ago, I bought a pre-owned Squier JV series Telecaster from a local music store. The shop assistant praised the sound with the selector switch in the middle position but did not rate the neck position. I immediately asked for a screwdriver to demonstrate the instrument's pre-67 style wiring. Conclusion, the tone of that Squier Tele neck pickup was not so bad. Just of very low output.
                        Interesting. I have a real '54 Esquire that a previous owner put a standard Tele neck pickup in. Those old Esquires are routed for a neck pickup so it's easy to install. It's wired in the "new" way with the middle position being the neck and bridge combined. I tend to use the middle setting when playing rhythm. Sounds better to me than the neck pickup by itself, which does indeed sound a little muffled, tho nowhere near as muffled as those Teles with the capacitor on the neck pickup to give it a bassy sound.

My favorite Tele neck pickup is a standard Strat pickup but that requires some body routing.

My next favorite is the Fralin Tele Blues Special which is the stock size and has no cover. It's excellent.
                        Last edited by Lewguitar; 07-21-2017, 08:15 PM.
                        “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire View Post
                          The deal is that with a traditional Telecaster neck pickup you are stuck with that small bobbin so you have to use 43 gauge wire, just like vintage Tele neck pickups. This works but you get a sound thats not as clear as a Strat pickup for example even thought the DC resistance looks to be the same or higher the output is actually a little lower than a typical strat pickup.

So, with the Twisted Tele they use alnico 5 magnets from a Jazz Bass pickup, which are the same diameter but slightly taller, this allows them to use a taller bobbin, which allows them to use 42 gauge wire, like a Strat pickup. This allows for the use of a "typical' amount of magnet wire as well so that the tone and output is about the same as a typical Strat pickup. In addition to this they use a nickel/silver cover as oposed to the traditional brass cover used in the 50's...

Those old school brass covers do attenuate a LOT of top end on their own. The taller bobbin, filled with 42 gauge wire and a cover thats a LOT more transparent than the old brass covers gives you a pickup that is a lot closer to a Strat in tone than any traditional Tele pickup ever would be.

If you're not into Fender pickups there are several pickup winders doing pickups like these now, truth is Fender wasn't the first! I've tried them and if you want a more Strat like tone in the neck they are great...I actually prefer the darker tone of a typical vintage Tele neck pickup but I know that I'm in the minority!
                          Good explanation, I have a twisted in the neck of one of my Tele's, the sorta strat sound works well.

Comment

Where has Christian been?
                            -Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
                            “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

I know this is old but seems to have spanned some years. Just got the Lollar Royal T which is Lollar's take on the Twisted Tele. The basics of these pick-ups is longer pole pieces which in turn allows space for the same number of windings with thicker wire - 42g instead of 43g. That spec is somewhat similar to a Stratocaster pickup albeit taller/thinner - hence Twisted Neck and Lollar Royal T sound 'similar' to a Strat neck pup. I'm replacing a neck Nocaster neck pup as find, although it's very Tele sounding, it's just too bassy to be used in a band situation - get's lost in the mix. It would make a uber perfect jazz neck pup. That Strat neck blues/rock vibe is where I need to be - without changing to a Strat. I have an APS1 neck RWRP with a P90 Phat Cat on another guitar so I have the range I need in just those two guitars. Interestingly there a shedload of Custom Shop Tele's with Twisted Tele neck pups and something like a Nocaster or Broadcaster bridge configuration - so at $2500 a pop that combination must be selling.

Comment

I've a ltd edition Tele with the Twisted PU and I confirm it to be a really satisfying strat sounding neck single coil.
                                Duncan user since the 80's...

Comment

Working...
                                X