No announcement yet.

Celestion Vintage 30's are horrible...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Celestion Vintage 30's are horrible...

My response is extreme... just so used to G12T75's Realize that some good sounding Greenbacks are in order... maybe WGS Green Berets
    I can see where V30's can have there place... and even if they were not so efficient, I could mix one. I learned a lot during this post.

I knew I always liked GT75's... But now in comparison to V30's they sound like Celestion Blue's!!
    I just purchased a new Egnater 4x12 loaded with V30's and thank God I've got some GT75's that I can use!
    Because I think these V30's sound horrible... It's all those upper mid feq that I never want to hear! They are just ringing with 800 to 1K Yuck!
    Now, If all you care about is cutting through... these will diffidently do that! and very loudly. But...
    Last edited by sonnyblu; 03-24-2011, 05:53 PM.
    "Play like a Champion"
    PRS DGT, Fender Tele and Strat
    Marshall JTM45 w/ Creambacks
    Fav SD Pups C5, Jazz, PG's, 59's

Re: Celestion Vintage 30's are horrible...

i know.

a pair of them mixed with something else can be great though. once they break in they do sound better too. having said that, they are a good live speaker. it keeps the tone focused in a fairly narrow range which means you punch thru a mix and stay out of other instruments way. also some amps like them better than others.

some people love them, some hate them. personally they arent my thing but i dont like the 75's either

Comment

I absolutely hate them as well.
      - KEVIN

MY BAND: http://thefathom.bandcamp.com

Budda Superdrive 80 II Half Stack; Mesa D-180 + Custom Emperor 2x12 Bass Cabinet
      Music Man John Petrucci (Scream'n Demon/Jazz); Ibanez S2120 (Full Shred set); Steinberger GR4
      Ibanez SR3006; Ibanez BTB1005

Originally posted by DankStar
      I'm the Betty Crocker Easy Bake OvenŽ of riffs. Ding! Another batch is done.

Comment

I want to try V30's. I've heard you can't go wrong with them. I tried the GT-75's, and they were okay, but not my ideal tone. I'm a greenback guy, and from what i've heard V30's should work well for me... what do ya think ?
        1975 Fender Stratocaster W/ Floyd Rose + mods
        2001 Gibson Les Paul Studio w/Floyd Rose, Scalloped neck, EMG 81/85 Combo
        Marshall FJA Signature modded JMP 1979 50 watt
        Marshall JVM205H
        Marshall 1960AX cabinet(w/ 2 V30's & 2 G12M Greenbacks)
        Empty(unloaded)Laney 2x12
        + a bunch of pedals

Comment

Thanks Jeremy... I was thinking about maybe leaving one of them in... but being so efficient, I thought they might still overpower all the other 3 speakers... I was kinda' wanting to mix anyway... perhaps a Cannabis Rex or Tone Tubby in there also.
          "Play like a Champion"

Comment

Originally posted by Invader09 View Post
            I want to try V30's. I've heard you can't go wrong with them. I tried the GT-75's, and they were okay, but not my ideal tone. I'm a greenback guy, and from what i've heard V30's should work well for me... what do ya think ?
            Do you like a huge spike in the upper mids that makes everything you play sound nasal + thin? If so, then you will love the Vintage 30.
            - KEVIN

MY BAND: http://thefathom.bandcamp.com

Budda Superdrive 80 II Half Stack; Mesa D-180 + Custom Emperor 2x12 Bass Cabinet
            Music Man John Petrucci (Scream'n Demon/Jazz); Ibanez S2120 (Full Shred set); Steinberger GR4
            Ibanez SR3006; Ibanez BTB1005

Originally posted by DankStar
            I'm the Betty Crocker Easy Bake OvenŽ of riffs. Ding! Another batch is done.

Comment

All the tone is VERY focused on the upper mids... if that is what you want...

I don't mean a little bit.... I mean VERY focused on I'd say 500 to 1K not even 2K! Yuck!

If you have a graphic EQ take all the middle bands a push them up... make a big frown...
              There you have it.... That's a V30 basically!
              "Play like a Champion"

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                a pair of them mixed with something else can be great though. once they break in they do sound better too. having said that, they are a good live speaker. it keeps the tone focused in a fairly narrow range which means you punch thru a mix and stay out of other instruments way. also some amps like them better than others.

some people love them, some hate them. personally they arent my thing but i dont like the 75's either
                I can understand why people dislike them, but they are by far my favorite speaker.

With that said, I only use them in my ''live rig'' cab. My combo at home has an eminence C90 black shadow that is more balanced, but my 2x12 has V30s.

When I shopped around, I chose this cab, because my bassist and I have great chemistry, that heavily relies on not taking up each other's space in the mix. The V30s allow me to fill in that mid-midhigh-high range, and leave the lows to him, creating a band sound that is both full, but clear and pleasant.

I agree with Jeremy that some amps do like them better, and I think mesa is one of those examples. When running higher gain, I kinda want that focus, so everything doesn't become mush.

So yeah, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.
                - Gibson CS ES339 - Gibson Les Paul Trad - Gibson J-200 Standard - Fender Hwy1 Strat - Gibson Captain Kirk Douglas SG - Takamine E-series Acoustic - Fender Blues Deluxe - Fender Excelsior -

Comment

Originally posted by ksmith63 View Post
                  Do you like a huge spike in the upper mids that makes everything you play sound nasal + thin? If so, then you will love the Vintage 30.
                  Originally posted by sonnyblu View Post
                  All the tone is VERY focused on the upper mids... if that is what you want...

I don't mean a little bit.... I mean VERY focused on I'd say 500 to 1K not even 2K! Yuck!

If you have a graphic EQ take all the middle bands a push them up... make a big frown...
                  There you have it.... That's a V30 basically!
                  I have never had my tone sound thin or nasal. It's true that I do play through a big cab, a 2x12 rect cab, but I feel it's very balanced.

Speaking of EQs... people often say that mesa amps are very sensitive when adjusting EQ, which is maybe why they match well with that speaker.

What kind of amps are you guys using?
                  - Gibson CS ES339 - Gibson Les Paul Trad - Gibson J-200 Standard - Fender Hwy1 Strat - Gibson Captain Kirk Douglas SG - Takamine E-series Acoustic - Fender Blues Deluxe - Fender Excelsior -

Comment

I think out of the box they are very harsh. Broken in, a little better. Still mid/uppermid heavy though. But then again, so is a guitar!

Comment

I have Eminence Cannabis Rex, Texas Heat and GT75's I love all of them...
                      And I have played through Celestion Blue's and was very impressed.
                      I like Tone Tubby's also...

I mix a Marshall JTM45's and Plexi 50 watt, non master volume... Chime + Plexi
                      I go for a David Grissom kinda' tone.

What speakers do you like Jeremy? or anybody else here too?
                      "Play like a Champion"

Comment

Originally posted by sonnyblu View Post
                        What speakers do you like Jeremy? or anybody else here too?
                        Greenbacks
                        1975 Fender Stratocaster W/ Floyd Rose + mods
                        2001 Gibson Les Paul Studio w/Floyd Rose, Scalloped neck, EMG 81/85 Combo
                        Marshall FJA Signature modded JMP 1979 50 watt
                        Marshall JVM205H
                        Marshall 1960AX cabinet(w/ 2 V30's & 2 G12M Greenbacks)
                        Empty(unloaded)Laney 2x12
                        + a bunch of pedals

Comment

I have them in a 2x12 mesa cab closed back and they smoke!!!
                          Work them in a little, I must say that they fit in a band mix perfectly!!!
                          This is where I think they especially shine. They definetly do not suck!!
                          There's a reason why alot of top players prefer them!!!

Comment

V30's are not my fav Celestion but I think they are good speakers that get a bad rap...

Interesting to point out that when Celestion designed the V30 their gold was to get a ceramic speaker that sounded like an alnico blue...
                            If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

That is what suprized me so.... because they are basically the industry standard now....
                              Every new cabinet is loaded with them.... Like the GT75 used to be...
                              So I really wasn't expecting to dislike them so much.

I play with a 7 string bassist that covers a lot feq space also... but I don't think I want to be quite this regulated!!! lol

No, of course to each his own... ;-)
                              "Play like a Champion"

Comment

Working...
                              X