No announcement yet.

Celestion Vintage 30's are horrible...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Celestion Vintage 30's are horrible...

I think the V30's are a great sounding rock and roll speaker. That being said, I love the one in my Supersonic, which is an open back combo, but don't care for them as much in my Marshall 4x12.

The best tone I've had in a 4 x 12? Celestion g12H30 anniversary speaker x 4. However, I must say the 4x12 sounds quite good with 2 Vintage 30's and 2 g12H30's too, and covers more of the eq spectrum that way.
    2007 Strat ('78 bridge, a2 Pro neck)
    1976 Strat (Antiquity 1 set)

Fender, Mesa, Marshall Amps

Comment

I can't stand the GT 75, way too scooped and I hated them in both cabs I've had them in regardless of the type of amp I ran through it. Personally, I think the V30 is a great spearker, it's loud, it cuts, and stays clear. In a 4x12 I would run it in an X pattern with something else, but for rock you can't really go wrong with a V30

Comment

Well, I liked the 12t75 loaded 1960 I borrowed (it would have been from the 80s and gigged very hard for at least 10 years)
        This was with a marshall modded valve junior.
        But, I also have a WGS v30 clone, and it was pretty bad at first, but once broken in it sounds Awesome. This is in a big 1x12 1/2 open back. It is now my fav speaker to use. Im actually about to make it a combo.
        Originally posted by MikeS
        a "career" of playing sold-out bedroom shows to the posters on my wall.
        Originally posted by JB_From_Hell
        whats becoming of this generation
        We want to listen to music while we mow the lawn.

Comment

I used to be a V30 fan.

I still don't mind 'em, but The G12K100 is my favorite Celestion these days. Bigger bottom end, smoother on top, but still cuts through the mix with ease.

Comment

I'd say to put a good 50-100 hours of playing on them & report back but that goes for any new speaker! If you can't "wait" for them to break in then do it with a CD player.

IMO, the 75's are some fairly craptacular speakers... all bottom & fizzy top with no mids. Great for metal... Maybe 15 years ago I compared my stock marshall 4x12 to my buddies which had 75's that he swapped out for V30's. The '75s had more deep bottom but the V30's had more usable low end, smoother top end... dynamic midrange... good stuff. The 75's were pulled out of my cab shortly after.

So now I've got a pair of roughly 15 year old V30's in a Rivera 2x12 cab and a pair of GB's that are equally as old in a THD 2x12 cab. There's "better" speakers out there for sure but those combos in those cabs keep me happy.
            J. 'Moose' Kahrs
            mixer|producer|recordist
            mooseaudio.bandcamp.com

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire
            All you need to make a record is a mic, some tape and maybe some bad reverb...

Comment

Originally posted by JB6464 View Post
              G12-65 Celestions or Warehouse Guitar Speakers ET-65's. You get the best of both . Higher wattage Greenback tones with smooth mids & highs with clarity.
              Never liked vintage 30's, never liked 75's either. Currently my 2x12 has a celestion heritage g12-65 with a celestion alnico gold. Great combo (not cheap though).

Comment

Hey Al,

Good to se ya buddy.
                Hope all is well.

Peace,

Darrin

Comment

Well I had a poor man's Mesa at one point, and it sounded good with a greenie/v30 combo. Not so good with gt75s. I now have a QR, and it sounds better with a WGS Reapers. I suspect it would be better still with a quad of G12t75.

You change your amp, and you may very well expect to have to change your speakers. They seem to just go hand in hand.
                  Originally posted by Pink Unicorn Horsey
                  Dumbness on massive idiocy with the stupid dumb-dumbnity of ridiculous WTFation in the dumbass of you-idiot.
                  Originally posted by Sosomething
                  "How do I improve the tone of my ThrasherKidzz-O-Blaster combo??"

The answer is always "burn it, dumbass."

Comment

I have them in my Mesa Maveric 212s, my DC-3 and in a 212 horizontal Recto cab. While I love the EVMs in my Mark Series amps, I do like the V-30s.

Bill
                    When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

I had a set of broke in 88 G12T75's that I hated. I thought they were way brighter (in the bad way) than V30's.

Non-broke in V30's are indeed horrible, but after a year or two of abuse they settle in. I always use some sort of beam blocker with V30's too.

The G12H30 is better than either, in my opinion.

Comment

I love the V30s and have them in a Vox 2x12 cab and the Marshall A/V 4x12....I hated them at first,but only until they loosened up and now I Love em! Not sure if it matters,but mine are England or earlier made V30s and not the newer ones? The Marshall cab is from 99/2000..
                        Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

I've had 3 combos with a Vintage 30 in:

Bluetone - very good.

Cornford - amazing.

Marshall - garbage.

Comment

Originally posted by poweredbysoul View Post
                            I have them in a 2x12 mesa cab closed back and they smoke!!!
                            I have the same kind of Mesa cab. I like the sound of the Vintage 30's in that cab too. It has had probably 15 years for the speakers to break in. That's how long I've owned it.

I also have a 4-12 cab with the 75 watt Celestions. They sound nice too.
                            "Just like bad gas, they (metal riffs) sneak out every once in a while."
                            Jah Paul Jo - Dread Zeppelin
                            guitar pic site
                            Original prog rock on soundcloud
                            Original ambient guitar pieces on soundcloud
                            Original blues on soundcloud.com

Comment

Sounds kinda like maybe the cabinet has just as much tonal influence as the speakers themselves...I'm sure overall speaker cab diameter and the wood used matters alot also(In fact I Know it does)
                              Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Originally posted by sonnyblu View Post
                                I have to say Celestion Vintage 30's are among the worst speakers I have ever heard!
                                I thought one of our mantras around here was not to diss other companies or thier products. There are alot of things that I don't care for, but if we all started posting negative threads, there would be a whole lot of pissing matches going on. I prefer a positve enviroment. My .02. Hooray.

Peace,

Darrin

Comment

Working...
                                X