No announcement yet.

Celestion Vintage 30's are horrible...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Celestion Vintage 30's are horrible...

^ Haah, yep. Vintage 30s are "team player" speakers. They work well in groups.

Comment

Originally posted by Lewguitar View Post
      The four speakers in a sealed 4 x 12 cabinet also vibrate each other and each causes the cone of each other speaker to vibrate in sympathy to each other. Most of this induced resonance is in the low end. You've got speakers resonating like both active radiators and passive radiators. The result is a very good tone, IMO.

If anyone doubts this observation, disconnect one of the speakers in your 4 x 12, seal the cab up again and then play through it and lightly touch the cone of the disconnected speaker. You'll find it's vibrating in sympathy with the other speakers and producing bass frequencies that are very audible.
      +1

When you double the cabinet size/speakers (example 1x12 vs. 2x12; 2x12 vs. 4x12) you increase the SPL by 3db and the fs is lowered (exact amount depends on speaker). This is caused by sharing airspace + being on the same baffle. This is how the monster Ampeg 8x10 bass cabinets hit the low frequencies with just 10" speakers.

Passive radiators (as Lew described with disconnecting one speaker) act like a port tube = out of phase + delayed sound. These work best if you don't have tons of room for port tubes in the cabinet.
      - KEVIN

MY BAND: http://thefathom.bandcamp.com

Budda Superdrive 80 II Half Stack; Mesa D-180 + Custom Emperor 2x12 Bass Cabinet
      Music Man John Petrucci (Scream'n Demon/Jazz); Ibanez S2120 (Full Shred set); Steinberger GR4
      Ibanez SR3006; Ibanez BTB1005

Originally posted by DankStar
      I'm the Betty Crocker Easy Bake OvenŽ of riffs. Ding! Another batch is done.

Comment

Here is this new Egnater cabinet... I will be using it instead of hauling the two smaller 2x12's
        Just roll it in... I had Marshall 4x12's back in the day... wish I still had one... Egnater is handsome though!
        Last edited by sonnyblu; 12-16-2009, 04:14 PM.
        "Play like a Champion"
        PRS DGT, Fender Tele and Strat
        Marshall JTM45 w/ Creambacks
        Fav SD Pups C5, Jazz, PG's, 59's

Comment

Yes, In reading more of your reply's I really hit on something you said... and why I don't care for them as much.
          I try to get a very big open sound... bawwwwwjngggg! Ya' know?
          I guess that's also why I play stereo... even though I know 15 feat away it might not matter.
          But I love the sound of it for me personally onstage... Big and Open!
          I don't want my sound so focused... Leads, well yes that might be nice...
          Well so anyway... I'm using a couple of Cannabis Rex's, a GT75 and a V30...
          I'm leaving one of them in there... lol for now... ;-)
          "Play like a Champion"

Comment

I personally don't care for them.

Comment

I put one in a Deluxe Reverb on the recommendation of a good friend. My DR is from 67 and has been modded a bit, but I never really liked using the amp. It was farty & very hard to get any decent cleans out of it. I almost gave up on it and sold it but I got this british made V30 that had less then 10 hours on it. I had to make a new baffle for it but it worked out great. This speaker was exactly what I felt this amp needed. Now it has a lot more headroom and the cleans are much better. With a good guitar you really don't need any pedals.... it's all there. Normally I would resist putting a Celestion in a Fender because I think it sucks much of the "Fender" out of them, but in this case I love it!
              "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
              "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Originally posted by sonnyblu View Post
                I have to say Celestion Vintage 30's are among the worst speakers I have ever heard!
                Although my music taste and vintage says I should I have never been able to get into the dual-rectifier and/or V30 business. The only artist using this stuff that I like the the Nightwish man who's name is impossible to remember. Even though must of my music is metal or at least hard rock nobody else uses rectos or V30s (opinion subject to sample size limit).

Of course in the case of speakers there's no place to put an EQ anymore so you are stuck-stuck

I'll get a G12-65 setup. I'll try clones first and if that doesn't work sell another guitar and get originals to fill my 4x12. Whatever it takes.

Comment

Yes, My GT1275's are not efficient enough to be heard now...
                  They are only 97db... So I may mix a Eminence Wizard and or a
                  Man o War along with my Cannabis Rex's...
                  They all have similar very efficient volumes. Such as the V30's
                  "Play like a Champion"

Comment

uOpt , if your looking for G12-65 clones get the Warehouse Guitar Speakers ET-65's. I have two quads of them and they sound fantastic. Their actually Celestion parts from England then assembled in KY. They are really smooth and no ice pick tones.

Comment

I too have a 4*12 cab with V30s in them and I really like them. The amp I use is a THD Univalve. Thin or nasal or harsh are not words I'd use when describing the cab. I do agree that it is a middy speaker but I find it a good thing, especially in a band setting. To me it's a healthy sound with a nice growl. I do understand why they're not for everyone, though.
                      There are two kinds of people in this world that go around beardless—boys and women, and I am neither one

Comment

Originally posted by sonnyblu View Post
                        Yes, My GT1275's are not efficient enough to be heard now...
                        They are only 97db... So I may mix a Eminence Wizard and or a
                        Man o War along with my Cannabis Rex's...
                        They all have similar very efficient volumes. Such as the V30's
                        That was my main complaint with the G12T75's... they're not as loud as V30s so they end up getting overpowered. At least in a 2x12. Maybe with a 4x12 in an X pattern that wouldn't happen.

The V30 and the Man-O-War are a more even volume match, Although the MOW is bassier and less trebly than the G12T75.

Comment

Whew! I thought it was just me. I have 4 Vintage 30s loaded in my stereo Marshall 4x12 and it sounds terrible. Actually they are Hellatones which are V30s pre-broken in. I drive the cab with Mesa Dyna 20/20 tube power and Marshall 9001 all tube pre.

So, based on what I'm reading in this thread I ought to replace at least one of the 12s on each side to start with. Which ones do y'all recommend to counter-act the V30s nasal and get closer to a Chicago blues tone?
                          Guild Bluesbird
                          Gibson Blueshawk
                          Fender Fat Strat
                          Fender 1957 Commemorative Stratocaster
                          Rickenbacker 360-6 Jet-Glo
                          Gibson ES 137 Classic
                          PRS Santana SE with SD Phat Cats
                          Fender Jazz Bass
                          No talent to speak of.

Comment

Normally for Chicago Blues among Celestions = Green Backs

But were your mixxing them in =G12H30. The H30 has the same sensitivity as the V30 so they won't be over powered. The H30 also has less in your face mids, so it makes a good alternatove to T75's or G12-65's when they get over powered.

For Chicago Blues you may also want to check into American voiced speakers rather than Celestions.

Comment

Well this is what I have finally gone with... Cannabis Rex (Tone Tubby)
                              on the bottom and And Private Jacks (Greenback25's) on the top.

I am very glad I posted this comment... even though I'm sorry I didn't word things better...
                              I have learned a lot... just the same.
                              I would have really liked to have some Celestion Blues or Red Fangs...
                              But $$$$$ put me in the Private Jack camp...

Hey everyone... Thanks... We all know, This is Forum #1!!!!
                              "Play like a Champion"

Comment

V-30's are confusing.
                                In my Prosonic combo they were harsh, nasal and overly bright. However in my closed back Avatar 2/12 they were just sludge mud thick with no definition and bite. Same cab is balanced and sounds GREAT with Celestian 75's though.
                                I have a pair in the top of my Yamaha 4/12 with a pair of WGS Vet 30's in the bottom and it ROCKS.
                                Don't know what to think about them ??
                                Guitars
                                Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                                Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Working...
                                X