No announcement yet.

Celestion Vintage 30's are horrible...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Celestion Vintage 30's are horrible...

I have the V30s in two seperate cabs and love em!
    Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

I'm a greenback man myself. My old Marshalls just sound better with them likely because they were voiced around those speakers.

I like the Texas Heat model from Eminence for the old Fenders but Greenbacks are the preferred speaker for a Plexi

Comment

Originally posted by Ascension View Post
        V-30's are confusing.
        In my Prosonic combo they were harsh, nasal and overly bright. However in my closed back Avatar 2/12 they were just sludge mud thick with no definition and bite. Same cab is balanced and sounds GREAT with Celestian 75's though.
        I have a pair in the top of my Yamaha 4/12 with a pair of WGS Vet 30's in the bottom and it ROCKS.
        Don't know what to think about them ??
        The top end on the 75's will tear your head off.. If that Avatar cab is bottom heavy it makes sense they would be a good match for it

Comment

I like the 75's as far as celestion goes. But i'm more a fan of Eminence speakers....

Black Powders, Texas Heats, Cannabis Rex, The Governor, Swamp Thangs. all of them i've owned.

I LOVE using 2 Texas heats and 2 swamp thangs and putting them diagonally from each other in a 4x12. killer set up. (I think they sell a set like that that's called the metal pack or something...)

Originally posted by wilas101 on homemade talk boxes
          If I put a hose in an 18" sub cabinet will it sound like I have James Earl Jones in my guitar?
          Beet sugar tastes like ass coated ass dipped in ass.

Comment

Originally posted by sonnyblu View Post
            Well this is what I have finally gone with... Cannabis Rex (Tone Tubby)
            on the bottom and And Private Jacks (Greenback25's) on the top.

I am very glad I posted this comment... even though I'm sorry I didn't word things better...
            I have learned a lot... just the same.
            I would have really liked to have some Celestion Blues or Red Fangs...
            But $$$$$ put me in the Private Jack camp...

Hey everyone... Thanks... We all know, This is Forum #1!!!!
            That Cannibus Rex takes a LOOONG time to break in, but when it does....sweet! I had a custom built hand wired Bassman in a 2X12 tweed combo with a C Rex and a G12H30 that sounded huge. It sounded equally good for SRV or rock type stuff and hard rock/metal. Good luck and don't forget to let the speakers take awhile to break in. Way back when I got the amp, I think it was Jeremy or Gearjoneser who told me to take a CD player and play it through the amp for something like forty or eighty hours, which I did and it cut down the breakin time to almost nothing. Moderate volumes, nothing crazy. I'm sure someone else will chime in on that techniqe.
            My songs....enjoy! (hopefully )

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=652921
            or for older stuff too, but slower downloads
            http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp...=301569&T=7414

Originally posted by DankStar
            700 watts is ok for small clubs, but when you play with a loud drummer or at a medium-large sized venue, you really need 1,500-watts at least. no one should be left alive.

Comment

I think I'll try to tame mine by installing two Eminence Screamin' Eagles, one on each side of the stereo cab. If the blend doesn't work I'll replace the other two V30s as well.
              Guild Bluesbird
              Gibson Blueshawk
              Fender Fat Strat
              Fender 1957 Commemorative Stratocaster
              Rickenbacker 360-6 Jet-Glo
              Gibson ES 137 Classic
              PRS Santana SE with SD Phat Cats
              Fender Jazz Bass
              No talent to speak of.

Comment

Originally posted by sonnyblu View Post
                I knew I always liked GT75's... But now in comparison to V30's they sound like Celestion Blue's!!
                I just purchased a new Egnater 4x12 loaded with V30's and thank God I've got some GT75's that I can use!
                Because I think these V30's sound horrible... It's all those upper mid feq that I never want to hear! They are just ringing with 800 to 1K Yuck!
                Now, If all you care about is cutting through... these will diffidently do that! and very loudly. But...

I have to say Celestion Vintage 30's are among the worst speakers I have ever heard!
                I really agree with this. They are great for power chords, but for soloing they lack character, IMO, and they have no bass if that is important to you.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                  i like the g12h, g12m, and blue of the celestion offerings.
                  cannabis rex and red fang of the eminence line
                  tone tubby alnicos are great too.

there are lots of good speakers, depends on what the rest of the rig looks like

Or what tubes you're running.

When I think if Mesa, I think 6L6's with V30's.
                  When I think of Marshall, I think EL34's with GT12-75's. Or if you really want to get '80s, G12M-70's.

So many amps nowadays have a bias switch to go EL34 or 6L6.
                  One really needs to think about what speakers work best with what tubes.
                  sigpic
                  http://www.heddatheband.com

New HEDDA CD now available:
                  http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/hedda2

HEDDA video:
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-LuSksz-J8

Comment

Ehh tubes matter but I think its more the amp as a whole. The tone circuit does more than anything else.

Comment

Originally posted by kherman View Post
                      Or what tubes you're running.

When I think if Mesa, I think 6L6's with V30's.
                      When I think of Marshall, I think EL34's with GT12-75's. Or if you really want to get '80s, G12M-70's.

So many amps nowadays have a bias switch to go EL34 or 6L6.
                      One really needs to think about what speakers work best with what tubes.

When I think Marshall it is Greenbacks or greenbackish speakers.
                      Carvin CS4 PG-n A4, BBQ-b
                      Ibanez AS103NTcustom /Super58's n&b
                      G&L ASAT Classic
                      G&L ASAT Deluxe carved top undecided

Comment

I always remove them if they are in any cab or amp that I will use.....
                        Never liked them much!
                        That awfull spike just grates my nerves!

Comment

My Orange amp came with one. I knew what to expect and with this amps killer gain crunch, it sounded good. Sits well with the band mix and has that cut I need. But I needed something more...bottom end. Got a nice extension cab with ports, threw in a G12H and BAM! THE best mix of punch/cut/ bottom and focus I've heard. Playing without the bottom cab does make the V30 sound all mid, but it's not bad, Orange chose it as it has what this amp needs to get that tone. But yeah, the V30 will sound better mixed with another speaker. Did the same with my bigger 4 12 Marshall cab... V30, Classic Lead 80 and 2-G12H...

Gibson KS 336, LP Standard, Special and Customs
                          Bogner, Orange, Tech 21 and Fender amps
                          Celestion speakers
                          Duncan, Bare Knuckle, WCR and Gibson pups
                          Too many pedals....

Comment

I dig the 75's and V30's in an X pattern in a 4x12. Gave me my best tone so far. I tried just V30's by themselves and it just didn't do it for me.

Comment

Originally posted by poweredbysoul View Post
                              I have them in a 2x12 mesa cab closed back and they smoke!!!
                              Work them in a little, I must say that they fit in a band mix perfectly!!!
                              This is where I think they especially shine. They definetly do not suck!!
                              There's a reason why alot of top players prefer them!!!

thats right man. i hate to follow the pack. but at the same time if everyone uses them there is a reason!

Comment

Well I don't care much for Eminence much at all either it seems... other than the Cannabis Rex is just ok. Eminence midrange sounds card board to me.

I heard a side by side comparison WGS Green Berets vs Celestion G12M

I'm diving in again... and hoping I find a home in the WGS Green Berets.

I played through some vintage GT65's and didn't like them as much as I thought I might either! They were sort of like the Cannabis Rex.
                                The WGS E65's sure sound sweet on their site however...

I know that a great sounding Greenback of some type is what I need now...
                                Like so many of you mentioned here before... Man, I feel so ignorant for still having played so long.

I still have a couple of V30's if anybody wants to trade Greenbacks...
                                "Play like a Champion"
                                PRS DGT, Fender Tele and Strat
                                Marshall JTM45 w/ Creambacks
                                Fav SD Pups C5, Jazz, PG's, 59's

Comment

Working...
                                X