How to do harmonic squeal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to do harmonic squeal?

You know that annoying squeal that Zakk Wylde likes to over-do.......how does one do that? I've heard part of the technique was using a bit of picking thumb, but have no clue about it on the fretboard......how's it done?

Re: How to do harmonic squeal?

They're called pinch harmonics btw.
    It's not about the fretboard, it's all in the picking hand. Yes, the bit about giving the strings a bit of the picking hand thumb is correct.
    You have to REALLY dig in. Just be patient and it will come to you. Everyone is different in how they pick, but if you concentrate on digging in hard and getting a bit of that picking hand thumb into it, eventually it will become totally intuitive as to what you need to do.

Comment

certain notes and places on the strings is where it rings out. just dont overdo it! too many zakk wyde 80s rebel wannabeezz ... blah

Comment

also, fret the note as you would normally, the "harmonic" all comes from either your thumb or whatever feels natural to you hitting a harmonic node after the initial attack with either your first finger or your pick.
        Yo, i'm Ryan™.

https://www.facebook.com/patchworklv
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=der6aGGzQTk
        ^link to 7 tracks of my band, Patchwork

Comment

Listen to Mathias Eklundh.......he uses them in a most different manner

Comment

when I was learning to do them, a friend of mine told me how to do them.

Basically, there are certain spots near your picking hand that are ripe for producing pinch harmonics. Great place to start is try a pinch harmonic for the 5th fret on the low E string. The corresponding pinch harmonic place should be somewhere near the polepieces closest to the bridge, of your NECK pickup. That produces a pinch harmonic of the same note you're fretting (in this case an A) but an octave higher than the fretted note.

What you want to do is play the string normally, and then IMMEDIATELY after, almost simultaneously, brush the string with your thumb right near the polepieces. If you go a couple inches closer to the bridge and the pinch harmonic will change pitch.

Keep in mind, the "place" for producing the magic one-octave-higher pinch harmonic varies for each fret and each string. You'll have to really practice the hell out of them to get them bang on, and you'll need to get to know your guitar intimately, but it's totally possible

Comment

Originally posted by ConvoysToNothingness View Post
              You'll have to really practice the hell out of them to get them bang on, and you'll need to get to know your guitar intimately, but it's totally possible
              Exactly.

Comment

If you're a mathematical type, you may understand it better this way. When you pick the string, you're producing harmonics. The first order harmonic means the wavelength is from the bridge to the fret. The second order harmonic is half that distance. The third order harmonic is a third of that distance.

So at some point near the bridge, there are nodes in the waves of the higher-order harmonics. Your job is to stop all the lower order harmonics with your thumb. That lets the higher-order harmonics ring through, and you get the squeal. But the best way to get them is practice, practice, practice. Eventually they'll become reliable.

And you can't go around telling people you can do them until you can do it on an acoustic every time.

Comment

Search youtube for pinch harmonics...I found a couple of good videos on there that show it pretty well. So take what everyone said above and then watch the videos and you should start to get it.

Comment

Pinch Harmonics, got it.....canceling nodes.....10-4........practicepracticepractice......aw geez....not THAT again!

Thanks for the hints all, I appreciate it. I was going to hit up YouTube, but it was getting on o'dark thirty when I posted the question, and figured I'd let it stew for a day, thanks again.

This is not for ZW style playing.....more for the squeals I hear in "Dead or Alive"-Bon Jovi........and another one........."Rock Me"-Great White.....who was that guitarist.....Mark Kendall or something like that?

One thing I'm really appreciating about learning the guitar again......is actually LISTENING to the music on the radio again! Sure most of it may be commercial garbage, but I listen to modern and classic rock stations.....so REALLY paying attention to what Jimmy Page is doing adds a new depth to your typical Zepplin song on the radio.

Comment

I use the back of my ring finger so that it is lightly touching the string. I agree though that harmonics are overdone by some players. It has to fit the tune.
                      Oh my God! ,Whatever ,Etc.

Comment

Originally posted by L.W. Badger View Post

One thing I'm really appreciating about learning the guitar again......is actually LISTENING to the music on the radio again! Sure most of it may be commercial garbage, but I listen to modern and classic rock stations.....so REALLY paying attention to what Jimmy Page is doing adds a new depth to your typical Zepplin song on the radio.
                        Yes, right on. zep is very cool. harmonics are like a wammy bar to me. its fun and stuff, ear candy in some situations, satriani does awesome stuff with it for effect, Ive heard songs where its harmonics only. ZW does it constantly though, Im not a fan of it for that little bit of his music but to each his own. XZW is pretty awesome and I have his pups in my guitar. tastefulness is key and you have it! I did this song where it has tons of harmonics:

Im gonna add vocals to it in the next month...new years res haha

Comment

artificial harmonics/'pinch' harmonics/pick harmonics/'squeals' are nothing to do with your fretting hand, though mid-range and a whole lot of gain will help enormously.

easiest way to explain it is to have part of your thumb (or a finger) touch the string at (about) the same time as picking a note; you get different harmonics a different points on the string; once you've got sorted out that all the other info will make more sense.

hope this helps.

Comment

You know, I was pinching up a storm long before it was done to death...
                            Originally posted by Bad City
                            He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I did my first one today! I'm over it.
                              Pulse 2AM - YouTube
                              Pulse 2AM - iTunes

Comment

Working...
                              X