Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Best speakers for Metal and Rock?

Originally posted by Darth Nihilus View Post
    Are people really into Zakk Wylde's tone? I personally wouldn't look to him for killer guitar tone. Maybe during the "No Rest For The Wicked" era but definitely not now.

I had a quartet of EVM-12L's and they were the most lifeless, bland sounding
    things I've heard in a long time. The only thing I could say is they are loud with no break-up.

A quartet of Celestion V30's made it better but if I had a quartet of Eminence Governors to put in, it would make it awesome!
    Why would anyone like a tone that goes :

EMG actives --->Marshall

No thanx, not for me !
    Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

"...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

Comment

Thank you for the clarification and the info. Really appreciated. I will look into these brands.

Originally posted by dnewhous View Post
      Diet Coke = not good. Substandard

Nutra Sweet is a neuro toxin that was permitted by the FDA only because Donald Rumsfeld's buddies passed money around to the right people. It's like drinking embalming fluid.

Avatar cabs = small, thin wood, thin wires. Not as bad as Vibroworld.

Mills Acoustics makes cabs as big as the Rectos. No price difference.
      "We live thinking we will never die. We die thinking we had never lived. Cut it out." - Jason Becker

"The Only Thing That Is Constant Is Change" - Heraclitus

sigpicHouse of Jackson, Charvel, ESP, BC Rich, Dean etc.. Fans. Come and Join us!

Comment

Now, I have a question.

Generally speaking, is there a discernable difference in sound between the 8 ohm and 16 ohm models for speakers?

Comment

Originally posted by SirJackdeFuzz View Post
          Why would anyone like a tone that goes :

EMG actives --->Marshall

No thanx, not for me !
          Because the JVM is insaaaanely good.

Originally posted by dnewhous View Post
          Now, I have a question.

Generally speaking, is there a discernable difference in sound between the 8 ohm and 16 ohm models for speakers?
          Nope!
          www.JeffDunne.com

Comment

Originally posted by Virtual Kevorkian View Post
            Because the JVM is insaaaanely good.

Nope!
            Don't KK Downing and Glen Tipton do EMG -> Marshall too?

Comment

I thought I'd ask if anyone has tried the Jensen JN12-100TR.

What's significant about it? It's a neodymium magnet speaker with large power handling (100 watts) and a low resonance frequency (72.4). It looks like it may be what Celestion tried to do with the original G12 Century and fell flat.

Part of the appeal of the Vintage 30 and Century Vintage is they are some of the few guitar loudspeakers with a resonance frequency below low E. This is what gives them the "deeper" sound that so many people I have talked to love when comparing them to the GT-75 (which has the same resonance as the preponderance of Celestions speakers - 85 Hz).

The Jensen speaker I sniffed out has the lower resonance frequency of those speakers with the wattage that indicates a cleaner, more modern sound.

Magnet weight does matter. I can't imagine anyone lugging a 4X12 cabinet with Electrovoice speakers unless you can pay roadies to do it for you.

Those Scholtz Sugar Cones use ferrite magnets and are somewhere between the weight of an E/V and a heavy Celestion.
              Last edited by dnewhous; 01-14-2010, 02:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lake Placid Blues View Post
                Mixing the G12T75 and the V30 is a popular solution for hard rock and metal, because the T75 has scooped mids, big bottom and sharp treble, and stays relatively clean, while the V30 has strong mids and tight bass, and adds color and dimension to distortion textures. Since the V30 is louder than the T75 putting them in an X pattern in a 4x12 is popular. In a stereo cab you may want the V30 on bottom and the T75 on top-or maybe the other way.....
                So if I were to get a stereo 4x12 should I place the V30s at the bottom and GT75s on the top? I am guessing that V30s might give too much midrange on the top and GT75s get too boomy at the bottom.

What do you guys think?
                "We live thinking we will never die. We die thinking we had never lived. Cut it out." - Jason Becker

"The Only Thing That Is Constant Is Change" - Heraclitus

sigpicHouse of Jackson, Charvel, ESP, BC Rich, Dean etc.. Fans. Come and Join us!

Comment

I would put them in an X pattern. If not, then I'd put the
                  bassier G12T-75 on the bottom and the V30's on the top.
                  The X pattern would be better IMO.

Comment

I don't think it matters too much. The X pattern is probably the best, unless you find the upper mids of the V30 too strong. In that case put them in the bottom. The 75 has pretty sharp treble to go with their strong bass. They might work better down below if the bass is too boomy and the highs too sharp though. I'd try the X pattern first and see how it works.

Comment

Never understand why people think V30s and T75s are only for metal.
                      Those two mixed in a 212 cab or x pattern in a 412 is great for classic rock, pop, hard rock or metal. Very even sounding, soft high end and tight bass. Perfect pair. Voodoo Amps suggests this mix in their 212 and 412 cabs for all styles.

CL80s work well as do K100s but both of those are a little stiff.
                      I like speakers with some give. 80s and 100s cranked up are too unforgiving for me, better for metal.

I really want to try the new Celestion Lynchbacks

Comment

Bit late to the party on this one, dude...
                        I remember calloused hands and paint-stained jeans, and I remember safe-as-houses self-belief.

Comment

It is never too late.

Comment

Working...
                          X