banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Great December 2009 Riff-Off Unveiling!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Great December 2009 Riff-Off Unveiling!

Originally posted by Tor View Post
    Sorry if I pissed you off, not my intention! I truly liked the playing you displayed, but the distorted part was in my opinion not fitting at all...

The distorted part was a little effed up, I agree. Comments about that didn't bother me, cause I knew the distortion was really bad, so that post wasn't aimed at you.

I won't go searching back for the thread, but I definitely recall some sentiment that I didn't deserve getting into the next round, and I recall a specific quote of "Eddie Vedder better seriously up his game for the next round" ...typical hater stuff like that.

I really wish I had a mastered version of the actual song in question, cause I'd love to show you all my intent with that playing in question. Alas, all I have is a rough studio copy, with specific orders not to distribute it to anyone.
    Facebook - My facebook page
    Kemo For Emo - My band. Now verified on Facebook & Spotify!

Comment

Originally posted by guitfiddle View Post
      Thanks...lol

That riff is one that didn't make it into the tune I wrote it for. In my signature, check out the soundclick tracks, and play Firebottle Boogie(demo--my guitar track is a throw-away here). You'll hear the pull-off thing at the end of the figure, but I thought this riff was a bit busy for the tune.
      dude, i love this track! it's so groovy, with just a bit of dissonance to make it kinda jazzy, but it's soo boogie too! tone's great too, lotsa mids without being too honky or distorted
      Yo, i'm Ryan™.

https://www.facebook.com/patchworklv
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=der6aGGzQTk
      ^link to 7 tracks of my band, Patchwork

Comment

Originally posted by super rad stuff View Post
        dude, i love this track! it's so groovy, with just a bit of dissonance to make it kinda jazzy, but it's soo boogie too! tone's great too, lotsa mids without being too honky or distorted
        Thanks, man. I recorded it using my former '68 Bassman head into my 4x12 with a Blue Tube pedal by Tubeworks for the drive. Had that sucker cranked in our Town Hall, which has a wonderful natural reverb.

The main riff is my take on Rock and Roll, Stone Cold Crazy, Snortin' Whiskey, Crossroads, Whiskey Train...any great rocker with a killer riff in that open A position.

Check out How High?...it's actually got a keeper lead solo on it. Well, the very first part was dubbed again, but the other 95 percent is the first take. Listen for the tone change from a Dano Fab OD to the Blue Tube after the first 4 bars.(soundclick won't hold the entire file...sry)
        Last edited by guitfiddle; 12-31-2009, 02:31 PM.
        - Tom

Originally posted by Frankly
        Some people make the wine. Some people drink the wine. And some people sniff the cork and wonder what might have been.
        The Eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn of the Crow.

Comment

Originally posted by B2D View Post
          In all honesty I didn't really figure out that it was you until the 2nd-to-last battle, and like I said I only did after listening to DoB for a sustained period.

Looking back at your posts on your own stuff, if you were actually being serious it looks like you're trying to legitimately critique yourself on your strengths and shortcomings, which would be good to do for everyone if you're serious about improving your game.

The tip about sounding heavy by using less distortion was the other big clue tbh. Why? It just seems like something a man who uses single coils for heavy music would say
          Yeah, I tend to spin on that tip quite a bit, admittedly.

I was pretty honest on my critiques of my own stuff, without trying to go too far into the positive or negative and really give myself away.

Some days, I think I'm awesome.

Other days, I'm an utter hack and shouldn't even TOUCH a guitar.
          -Adam

Hear or Follow my music:

Comment

Originally posted by sosomething View Post
            Some days, I think I'm awesome.

Other days, I'm an utter hack and shouldn't even TOUCH a guitar.
            I resemble that remark!!

Then at a show, someone will blow enough sunshine up my back side to keep me going...
            - Tom

Originally posted by Frankly
            Some people make the wine. Some people drink the wine. And some people sniff the cork and wonder what might have been.
            The Eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn of the Crow.

Comment

Originally posted by Jake View Post
              The distorted part was a little effed up, I agree. Comments about that didn't bother me, cause I knew the distortion was really bad, so that post wasn't aimed at you.

I won't go searching back for the thread, but I definitely recall some sentiment that I didn't deserve getting into the next round, and I recall a specific quote of "Eddie Vedder better seriously up his game for the next round" ...typical hater stuff like that.

I really wish I had a mastered version of the actual song in question, cause I'd love to show you all my intent with that playing in question. Alas, all I have is a rough studio copy, with specific orders not to distribute it to anyone.
              Part of the purpose of this whole thing is to learn. You learned early on not to kick in distortion on a riff if it doesn't suit it.

As far as some of the "hater" comments you are referring to, as PUH said, speak with your vote. I think wether or not someone deserves to advance to the next round depends solely on the number of votes received and nothing else. That - and if the submission qualifies as a riff, and that's up to the Battlemaster. The line between a chord progression and a riff if very fine, and I think we've all learned to recognize that here.

If I were in your position, I wouldn't take any of the comments personally - everyone was under a moniker and it's hard to make a personal attack on a faceless entity. I think it did open up the gates for some honest opinions that wouldn't have been said otherwise, but most of those can be taken constructively.

I rerecorded and resubmitted my entry last night. I found that, in order to get the most out of that partcular riff, I had to play it differently as a stand-alone guitar riff as opposed to having a band behind me. Maybe you should try something like that next time?
              Last edited by B2D; 12-31-2009, 03:33 PM.

Comment

tone4days' riff redux
                original epic fail riff

ok - so trying to incorporate super rad stuff's most excellent comments, i rerecorded my losing riff

is it any better (tone wise)?

all comments, especially those from guys who didnt dig it originally, are most welcome
                gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

"Brevity is the soul of riff." -- Shakespeare
                  Originally posted by ImmortalSix
                  I am just jug the merlot

Comment

it's better you added some phaser too, din'tcha.
                    Yo, i'm Ryan™.

Comment

• Re: The Great December 2009 Riff-Off Unveiling!

Originally posted by super rad stuff View Post
                      it's better you added some phaser too, din'tcha.
                      yeah, i had ta tweak the guys who called me out on the EVH deal ... probably a bit too much mix on the phaser - i usually dont like to 'hear' the phaser per se, but rather just hear a little fattening and motion

i also fingerpicked this one where i used a pick originally .... it helped get the note to note clarity imprved, but the performance wasnt 100% groovin'

i am really grateful for your pointers - i have much more to learn, but things like this only heklp

cheers
                      t4d
                      Last edited by tone4days; 12-31-2009, 03:56 PM.
                      gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

Originally posted by tone4days View Post
                        yeah, i had ta tweak the guys who called me out on the EVH deal ... probably a bit too much mix on the phaser - i usually dont like to 'hear' the phaser per se, but rather just hear a little fattening and motion

i also fingerpicked this one where i used a pick originally .... it helped get the note to note clarity imprved, but the performance wasnt 100% groovin'

i am really grateful for your pointers - i have much more to learn, but things like this only help

cheers
                        t4d
                        Take the tone of the second riff, remove the phaser, and play it the way you did in the first take, and you're golden.

FWIW, I loved that riff and voted for it. It just screams "PARTY TIIIIME."
                        Last edited by B2D; 12-31-2009, 04:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by B2D View Post
                          Take the tone of the second riff, remove the phaser, and play it the way you did in the first take, and you're golden.

FWIW, I loved that riff and voted for it. It just screams "PARTY TIIIIME."
                          +1. i also voted for T4D's riff.
                          Yo, i'm Ryan™.

Comment

A big thanks from a spectators point. It was well put together and had great contestants. There really were some awesome pieces here and good recordings.

Congrats GD!

Comment

Working...
                            X