banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Great December 2009 Riff-Off Unveiling!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Great December 2009 Riff-Off Unveiling!

As Keith stated, I was Eddie Vedder.

I felt like the biggest d00sh in the world for missing the Round 2 deadline, especially since there were several people "calling me out" so to speak about my riff abilities after Round 1. I'm not gonna lie, some of the comments left me pretty pissed off.

The "riff" I had planned for the next round used a very strict definition of riff, and was hoping that would shut up all the haters. Oh well.

My "riff" from Round 1 is off of Kemo For Emo's upcoming single "Track Record", which should be released sometime in Spring 2010.
    Facebook - My facebook page
    Kemo For Emo - My band. Now verified on Facebook & Spotify!

Comment

Originally posted by Jake View Post
      As Keith stated, I was Eddie Vedder.

I felt like the biggest d00sh in the world for missing the Round 2 deadline, especially since there were several people "calling me out" so to speak about my riff abilities after Round 1. I'm not gonna lie, some of the comments left me pretty pissed off.

The "riff" I had planned for the next round used a very strict definition of riff, and was hoping that would shut up all the haters. Oh well.

My "riff" from Round 1 is off of Kemo For Emo's upcoming single "Track Record", which should be released sometime in Spring 2010.
      Don't worry man, you still kicked my ass.

Comment

Originally posted by Ninja Monkey View Post
        Don't worry man, you still kicked my ass.

Keep your chin up - You're definitely a lot better than I was when I was 14.
        Facebook - My facebook page
        Kemo For Emo - My band. Now verified on Facebook & Spotify!

Comment

Originally posted by ratherdashing View Post
          And something to be proud of. The most difficult thing for a musician is to find a distinctive voice. Congrats.
          Hey, yeah - that's pretty cool, isn't it?

Originally posted by GoDrex View Post
          what did you use to get your sound? I really liked the tone you got.
          My secrets revealed:

Plus: Medium/low-output pickups, heavy picks, and playing too hard.
          -Adam

Hear or Follow my music:

Comment

cool - I thought it was a mic'ed amp.
            my soundclick page

Comment

thus demonstrating that living well is the best revenge
              rock on jake
              gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

im very content that if i had to lose, i lost to the dude that won the whole shebang.

sosomething's and dr newcenstein's were blatantly obvious to me who they were. it was just a stylistic thing. everybody else was a surprise because i really hadnt heard anybody else in the contest's recordings before. for that matter, i'd never heard anything from dr newc before, but i figured the guy who owns the halford warrior must be behind such a priesty riff
                Originally posted by Aceman
                It was the age of suave. Men were men, and women were smacked and thrown on the bed and loved it.

Comment

oh and as for my recording do-hickeys, both were through my PODxt. i think both were using the 5150 "criminal" model as well. riff 1 was with my LTD alexi-600 with a blackout neck model in bridge position. riff 2 was my LTD ex-351 with a gibson 500T in the bridge. both in E. i think riff 1 was on-axis and riff 2 was off-axis.

i dont like my tone in either though. but i do like that theyre appropriate for the styles.
                  It was the age of suave. Men were men, and women were smacked and thrown on the bed and loved it.

Comment

Congrats GoDrex!
                    My Bands -
                    https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
                    www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
                    www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
                    GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Originally posted by ex-250 View Post
                      im very content that if i had to lose, i lost to the dude that won the whole shebang.

sosomething's and dr newcenstein's were blatantly obvious to me who they were. it was just a stylistic thing. everybody else was a surprise because i really hadnt heard anybody else in the contest's recordings before. for that matter, i'd never heard anything from dr newc before, but i figured the guy who owns the halford warrior must be behind such a priesty riff

Maybe next time I'll use the Halford, and do it as a video as well for the unveiling

As for t4d's question:
                      As one of the entrants from the first round accused of not being a "true riff", I do have to take exception to that. As I've said countless times, we know the classic riffs such as Smoke On The Water, Heartbreaker, Black Dog, Iron Man, etc etc by the song they're in - the bass, drums, vocals, and all other accompanyment - as well as having heard them for years. We play them on our own guitars without that accompanyment except in our heads.

I'd like to know exactly what it is about mine that made it less of a riff than anyone else's, for future reference.

I don't mind losing to a better player (which is what happened), but no one likes losing based on someone's skewed perception of the definition of "riff".
                      Last edited by DrNewcenstein; 12-30-2009, 09:32 PM.
                      Originally posted by Brown Note
                      I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
                      My Blog

Comment

thats ok, mine wasnt a riff either to some. described as "a bunch of notes with some chords over it" or something. whatever, it was fun.

Comment

Sorry if I pissed you off, not my intention! I truly liked the playing you displayed, but the distorted part was in my opinion not fitting at all...

BTW, I noticed I forgot to congratulate the winner! Well, congrats GoDrex, that's really a big achievement! Bathe in your glory!
                          My Soundclick

Comment

EX250's first riff could be a Running Wild riff, and it reminds my whole youth
                            Cheers for that!

SoSomething's first riff is still the best riff for my ears. It's just very solid, creative, groovie, complex and very well expressed!
                            Another cheers for that!

And Ratherdashing's riff was very cool too! Those three are the ones I mostly enjoyed this round!

Cheers to you all guys, nice competition!
                            www.myspace.com/daemonbarbeque

Comment

I noticed over the course of the whole tourney, I tended to vote for what would be the loser of that particular round about 1/2 the time.

I loved the concept of the battle names, as I was only pretty sure about one of the participant's identities (sosomething) but that was because I like his band a lot and his tone and style are pretty distinctive.

Reading the comments over every round was helpful as well, as it helped to see why people preferred one riff over the other. This especially helped when I picked the losing side and wanted to see why the winner was the winner.

On a related note, I found thing book in a B&N in LA yesterday: http://www.amazon.com/Riffs-Create-P.../dp/0879307102

More than teaching riffs and the music theory behind them, it contains lots of little introspective and investigative mini essays on what makes a riff a true riff, what makes a riff appealing, so on and so forth. The line between a riff and a chord progression is very fine, and this book recognizes that.

I thoroughly enjoyed this Tourney, and I look forward too the next one with great anticipation! We've got a lot of great players on this board under very unassuming personas. My congratulations goes out to all of them for participating and throwin' it down!

Comment

Originally posted by tone4days View Post
                                i played my brian moore i88.13 on the bridge pickup (jb) into my line 6 toneport ux2 with pod farm (brit j800 model) into sonar home studio v4.0

i know a few guys mentioned it being fizzy, etc ... i guess i couldve tweaked the gain lower some .. but it really isnt fizzy on my roland monitors or my harmon/kardon computer speakers ... it is CERTAINLY a TON more gain than i am used to playing with being more of a classic/bluesy rock kinda guy ... i guess a little goes a long way huh?
                                actually, you could have kept the gain around the same level and made it not so fizzy, you just have to futz with the gearbox settings is all. i like the j800 model for high gain sounds, but the way i use it (if i don't want to hook up my board) is i'll set the EQ for lots of mids, about 1/3 treble, and not too much bass since it's already a thick sounding model, and maybe 3/4 presence to keep clarity. the gain is set to about 1/3 and the "volume" is maxed. then i've also got either the rat pedal model or tubescreamer model set for low drive and high gain with the tone rolled back. this way, you get a huge, grinding tone with nice breakup in the highs since the presence is set higher, but the fizz ain't there since the treble and tone knobs are rolled back.
                                Yo, i'm Ryan™.

https://www.facebook.com/patchworklv
                                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=der6aGGzQTk
                                ^link to 7 tracks of my band, Patchwork

Comment

Working...
                                X