banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Great December 2009 Riff-Off Unveiling!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Great December 2009 Riff-Off Unveiling!

LOL

Well, so much for all the effort I put into "reviewing" my own riffs in order to stay anonymous! Everyone knew who I was anyway!!

You folks had to be thinking "Why is he reviewing his own stuff? Is he high???"
    -Adam

Hear or Follow my music:

Comment

Originally posted by sosomething View Post
      Well, so much for all the effort I put into "reviewing" my own riffs in order to stay anonymous! Everyone knew who I was anyway!!

I've actually collected your "reviews" but decided to erase it as the result was a little creepy (was it you or me?).

I really liked your farewell words to your alter-ego in the last round. When I reread it, it almost makes me cry.

Comment

Now I'm wondering if YOU are high!
        -Adam

Hear or Follow my music:

Comment

I was born high - what gave me away?
          Last edited by JohnnyGuitar; 12-31-2009, 07:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnyGuitar View Post
            I was born high - what gave me away?
            Oh, iDunno. Your avatar, perhaps?
            Originally posted by ImmortalSix
            I am just jug the merlot

Comment

Originally posted by DrNewcenstein View Post
              As for t4d's question:

I'd like to know exactly what it is about mine that made it less of a riff than anyone else's, for future reference.
              to me, yours was on the fence as being representative of talent that could go all the way ... great tone, tight chops ... but here's why i didnt vote for it .... the first riff (with the decending part) was, all by itself, enough ... but then you put in the 'B' part (which was also very cool) ... so in total, you didnt submit one riff ... you submitted more than one riff ... you submitted the start of an entire song that i would love to hear ... but it wasnt one riff, so i couldnt vote for it

Originally posted by super rad stuff View Post
              actually, you could have kept the gain around the same level and made it not so fizzy, you just have to futz with the gearbox settings is all. i like the j800 model for high gain sounds, but the way i use it (if i don't want to hook up my board) is i'll set the EQ for lots of mids, about 1/3 treble, and not too much bass since it's already a thick sounding model, and maybe 3/4 presence to keep clarity. the gain is set to about 1/3 and the "volume" is maxed. then i've also got either the rat pedal model or tubescreamer model set for low drive and high gain with the tone rolled back. this way, you get a huge, grinding tone with nice breakup in the highs since the presence is set higher, but the fizz ain't there since the treble and tone knobs are rolled back.
              awesome advice, thanks ... i am going to try this just to see what the results are
              gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

the contest really highlights the greatness of line 6 recording products!

Comment

Originally posted by DankStar View Post
                  the contest really highlights the greatness of line 6 recording products!
                  My druthers are always going to include actual moving air, but for cheap & easy, Line6 is hard to beat.
                  -Adam

Hear or Follow my music:

Comment

Originally posted by tone4days View Post
                    to me, yours was on the fence as being representative of talent that could go all the way ... great tone, tight chops ... but here's why i didnt vote for it .... the first riff (with the decending part) was, all by itself, enough ... but then you put in the 'B' part (which was also very cool) ... so in total, you didnt submit one riff ... you submitted more than one riff ... you submitted the start of an entire song that i would love to hear ... but it wasnt one riff, so i couldnt vote for it
                    Thanks. But that goes back to what I've said all along - I prefer the riff to be heard in context rather than on its own.

But for the next one, I'll try harder to keep it trimmed, just in case that's the general consensus.
                    Originally posted by Brown Note
                    I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
                    My Blog

Comment

awesome advice, thanks ... i am going to try this just to see what the results are
                      http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h2...ms/gearbox.jpg <gearbox PrtSc

i used almost this exact setting to do a recording on my myspace called "ice blast highway". the timing on that recording is all botched because i did it on my laptop without turning off the wireless adaptor, but you get the point.
                      Yo, i'm Ryan™.

https://www.facebook.com/patchworklv
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=der6aGGzQTk
                      ^link to 7 tracks of my band, Patchwork

Comment

very cool - thanks!

i dig the tone you got on that recording - heavy with no buzzy/fizzy /angry nest o hornets

ice blast highway s'a fun tune too ... i like origami world too - very creative soundscaping - reminded me of something that mightve been on the white album
                        gear list in profile

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

ah, origami world. that's my friend's song, he did a crazy track in that recording with some chorus'd keyboards while using gearbox's wah to get those crazy/wierd soundscape tones. any stuff with keyboards or vocals he did, the guitar-only stuff is mine

btw, i just remembered that at the time i used my SG with a PG8 in the right channel and a dot studio with a 490t-a8 on the left, so it's all extra raw and thick
                          Last edited by super rad stuff; 12-31-2009, 01:49 PM.
                          Yo, i'm Ryan™.

Comment

cool - you guys should definitely keep at it ...
                            i like both your lead guitar tones on dunno when where how too
                            and get taht timing thing worked out ... makes all the tracks sound seasick
                            gear list in profile

Comment

Originally posted by sosomething View Post
                              LOL

In all honesty I didn't really figure out that it was you until the 2nd-to-last battle, and like I said I only did after listening to DoB for a sustained period.

Looking back at your posts on your own stuff, if you were actually being serious it looks like you're trying to legitimately critique yourself on your strengths and shortcomings, which would be good to do for everyone if you're serious about improving your game.

The tip about sounding heavy by using less distortion was the other big clue tbh. Why? It just seems like something a man who uses single coils for heavy music would say

Comment

cool - you guys should definitely keep at it ...
                                i like both your lead guitar tones on dunno when where how too
                                and get taht timing thing worked out ... makes all the tracks sound seasick
                                thanks i've got the timing worked out now since i know where the wireless adaptor button on the computer is

can't keep at it with him though, he moved too far 'n' has a job now
                                Yo, i'm Ryan™.

Comment

Working...
                                X