banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What computer software do you use to record???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What computer software do you use to record???

Originally posted by Reload in 5 View Post
    Why not just use a program that can handle more than 4 tracks? My current song has 8 tracks, and doesn't have bass or vocals yet. And the drums are 1 midi channel.
    i like the editing options that abelton has. if i wanted, i could buy the full version and unlock something like 16 tracks, but doing what i'm doing right now works for me. audacity has 16 tracks anyways. if i wanted, i could just keep mixing new wavs from audacity back into them and have an infinite number of tracks. not that i have the capacity to be that creative, but the option is always there
    Yo, i'm Ryan™.

https://www.facebook.com/patchworklv
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=der6aGGzQTk
    ^link to 7 tracks of my band, Patchwork

Comment

Back when I was recording I used Garageband, simply because I had a Mac.

It works fine, and with a decent Firewire interface, yields pretty good results.

I'd use Reason to make drums with a MIDI keyboard I had/have and that's basically it.
      For people feeling the need to try something experimental.
      http://myspace.com/kchoq

Comment

Originally posted by DrNewcenstein View Post
        Another thing to consider is how deeply into editing you want to go. Sonor can do all the audio and MIDI stuff within itself, including composing and control of external synths looped back into the main audio interface to record as audio, and the vst and vsti stuff.

Not sure about the others, but Audition can't do MIDI.
        Cubase can, but TBH Doing any sort of external MIDI controlling from a PC is risky anyway, because there hasn`t been a computer based system that can consistently output a synchronous MIDI signal since the Atari ST. It can work, but IMO it´s a crutch at best. The same hardware issues cause problems with synchronicity on many systems with having MIDI instruments running and tracking live over them into the same app...

I always lay down the midi first, track it and convert it into .wav, and then I track over that more stable foundation...

BUT, I must also admit I haven´t looked into newer MIDI interfaces in a few years, I could well imagine MOTU having dreamt up something to solve the age old issue...
        Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

Originally posted by AudioWonderland View Post
          Your stealing their work. Plain and simple. If you had bothered to read the "nag screen" you would know this. Just because they treat you like an adult instead of a child doesn't mean you have the right to take what you want without paying. How a musician can knowingly steal someones work when our music gets stolen at an alarming rate is just mind boggling. Grow up and handle your business.
          Dude, what the hell is your problem? Insulting and guilt-tripping people into paying for shareware only serves to irritate people and push them away from the whole concept. Why are you taking this so personally? Are you connected to Reaper in some way? If so, you're not doing them any favors by being such a dick about this.
          Band: www.colouredanimal.com
          Twitter: www.twitter.com/mrperki
          Blorg: mrperki.tumblr.com

Read my Seymour Duncan blog posts

Comment

Revox reel to reel.

Comment

Fisher price karaoke machine.

Comment

Originally posted by misterwhizzy View Post
                Fisher price karaoke machine.
                Yo, i'm Ryan™.

https://www.facebook.com/patchworklv
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=der6aGGzQTk
                ^link to 7 tracks of my band, Patchwork

Comment

Riffworks T4(Free program), Amplitube 2 & Jimi Hendrix (I obtained for my 14th birthday from my dad's musician friend, it's pretty cool.), and I connect to my computer through an M-Audio MobilePre USB.

Comment

Sonar 5, with a Line 6 guitarport
                    Originally posted by Vincent Vespa
                    Dirtbag is only half full of dirt. There rest of him is full of awesome.
                    I'm as happy as a Tornado in a trailer park!! \m/

Guitar: Fender American Special Mahogany HSS Strat
                    Charvel 275DX (Single coil Custom JB, Lil'59 in neck)
                    Fender Std Fat Strat MIM (Crazy8 in the bridge, Lil'59 in neck)
                    Amp: Line6 Spider2-30 watt
                    Lil 5 Watter from Hell AX84 Hi-Octane
                    Effects: Boss SD-1 DIY TS9 on Steroids MOD

Comment

Cubase Essential 5. Learnt on Cubase LE took about 10 mintues to get used to a few new things but I find it easy to use and it works well seems to handle stuff well and the 32 floating point seems to make an audible difference with reverbs esecpially compared to normal 16 bit in LE. I run it in rewire with reason and sometimes this makes things go a bit strange with both programs somehow fighting for the soundcard but retry it and it generally works.
                      Gondola Kid
                      Bandcamp
                      Facebook
                      JimijaymesGuitarist
                      Youtube

Comment

Does Essential 5 come with a compressor
                        I am so close to retirement that I could play in a band full time. All I have to do is figure out what to use instead of money, improve my playing, learn some songs, and find some other musicians more talented than me who will do exactly as they're told. .

Comment

Originally posted by DrNewcenstein View Post
                          Not sure about the others, but Audition can't do MIDI.
                          Yes it can, its just rather annoying and hard to use, i never use midi anyways but my roomate loves to mess around with it and we both used Audition 3.0 with Addictive drums so the midi is there

Cubase is good, i didnt like abelton live much.. my experience with it was short but quite awful and thus im biased against it.. for a freeware reaper is pretty nice. I havnt messed around much with it tho, mainly at other peoples houses and reaper is cool for its so small you can download it anywhere and start messing around with tracks in no time. Went to the states for the holidays and stayed at a friends house and i brought my guitar with me and some tracks on a usb flash card and i just downloaded reaper on their pc and started messing around right away.. its pretty cool. However since the sound engineer i know that works with my band uses pro tools ive learned to work with pro tools and i like it. I use both Audition 3.0 and ProTools 7.3.1, i heared PT 8 is awesome and i may try to get it.. i learned to work this stuff on audition 1.5 so it is my go to DAW when i want to work on stuff quick and easy and it comes with a ton of crap to mess around with, compressors, dynamic effects, etc which makes for cool sound creations and great sounding mixes right away. Pro Tools is more powerfull and when i want to do more serious work i go with that, especially if its something that might end up in the pro studio for mixing or mastering. Makes it easier since he just transfer the session files and opens it up instantly and everything is right there ready to work with.
                          C-Martin Recordings
                          My Soundclick page

Comment

Well, I've tried Audacity and it was OK, then yesterday I downloaded Reaper and it was way over my head ..... the flippin' manual is over 400 pages. After I uninstalled those I loaded up Cubase LE that came with my interface and that blew my mind even worse. There seems to be this presumption that everyone who uses a DAW is already fluent in the jargon and is a borderline engineer. Really, it make me feel like an idiot.

I guess it's like cell phones and all things electronic ...... they don't make one that is high quality without being over the top with features I probably wouldn't use even if I could eventually figure them out.

Are there any Sonar Guitar Tracks pro 4 users here?
                            I am so close to retirement that I could play in a band full time. All I have to do is figure out what to use instead of money, improve my playing, learn some songs, and find some other musicians more talented than me who will do exactly as they're told. .

Comment

Originally posted by Lazarus1140 View Post
                              Well, I've tried Audacity and it was OK, then yesterday I downloaded Reaper and it was way over my head ..... the flippin' manual is over 400 pages. After I uninstalled those I loaded up Cubase LE that came with my interface and that blew my mind even worse. There seems to be this presumption that everyone who uses a DAW is already fluent in the jargon and is a borderline engineer. Really, it make me feel like an idiot.

I guess it's like cell phones and all things electronic ...... they don't make one that is high quality without being over the top with features I probably wouldn't use even if I could eventually figure them out.

Are there any Sonar Guitar Tracks pro 4 users here?
                              Slow down. Put reaper back on your PC, and look at a few tutorials. Ask for help if you need it.
                              Originally posted by MikeS
                              a "career" of playing sold-out bedroom shows to the posters on my wall.
                              Originally posted by JB_From_Hell
                              whats becoming of this generation
                              We want to listen to music while we mow the lawn.

Comment

I started out with this
                                Link
                                It includes a mic as well.
                                Originally posted by MikeS
                                a "career" of playing sold-out bedroom shows to the posters on my wall.
                                Originally posted by JB_From_Hell
                                whats becoming of this generation
                                We want to listen to music while we mow the lawn.

Comment

Working...
                                X