X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: LIVE Q&A with Yngwie Malmsteen - 1/18/10 3:00 Pacific

Originally posted by oilpit View Post
    My question, what was the inspiration/reason for the scalloped fretboard, and very thin strings.
    Did you play a guitar that was already set up like that and fall in love?

Or did you decide one day, I want to try this, because of this, and then it just worked.
    As a young boy, I took a job as an apprentice at a luthier shop. And one day a lute from the 16th Century came into the shop that had concave wood in between the frets. I liked the way it looked so I tried it on my neck and found that it increases my control and vibrato. However, it DOES NOT make it easier to play fast.
    Evan Skopp, Inside Track International
    Sales and marketing reps for Musopia, Reunion Blues, and Q-Parts.

Comment

Originally posted by daemon barbeque View Post
      What is the "core" difference between your "old" PU and the new SD one.

Thanx for the whole inspiration for years BTW. Cheers!
      OK... with the old pickup, I basically settled for a "quiet" pickup. However, with the Fury, it took almost a year to reach the perfect tone and responsiveness that, in the past, I didn't think was possible.

Comment

Hi Yngwie, thanks for spending some time with the forum.

my question is, how did you develop your finger speed?

and welcome to the SD family
        88-89 Fender HM Strat(Dimarzio pickups)
        Fender Blacktop Jaguar(JB/Jazz)
        Guitar>TU-2>Ernie Ball Volume Pedal>Joyo Octave Fuzz>SD-1>Small Stone Phaser>Amp(Effects loop>DD-7>DD-20>Holy Grail)
        Vox NightTrain 50.
        My Band

Comment

Originally posted by DMyers77 View Post
          Hi,

I've read that you have an amazing collection of vintage strats. What kinds do you have? Do you scallop the fingerboards and replace the pickups on all of them, or do you keep them original?
          I have some of the most rare Fender Strats ever. One of them is of the first 10 ever made. March '54. And no, I do not customize those instruments. In the past I have scalloped some of the old ones including a '56, '59, '61, '66, '67 and so on, but I don't do that anymore.

Comment

Hi Yngwie!

I have more some advice and proposition to you rather then answer. There is one dude in USA called John Evosevic, and he did mods to your YJM308 pedal. With his mod, tone was better then ever, and pedal was far less noisy. You should contact him! There is his myspace

Discover, share and connect with culture, creativity, sound, images and people.

All the best!!

Comment

Originally posted by Diego View Post
              Yngwie,

It's an honor to have you here with us. Thank you!

I know Ritchie Blackmore has been one of your biggest inspirations as a guitar player; he's been my biggest influence for many years.

What caught your attention the most about him when you first listened to him? Also, is there anything about his playing/tone/etc. that you still haven't quite captured that you wish you had in your arsenal?

You're an amazing guitar player and a legend, Yngwie. Rock on!
              When I was seven years old, I got a Deep Purple album from my older sister. At the time, there was nothing else around that even compared to Blackmore. So obviously it was amazing. But by the time I was 11 or 12, I had totally abandoned trying to copy Ritchie Blackmore or any guitar player. Period. My goal was to apply violin style techniques a la Paganini and Vivaldi to guitar.

Comment

Hello Yngwie, would you say that the Fury pickups are still voiced torwards your earlier tones say with Steeler and Alcatrazz, or are these more fine tuned for your present heavier style of music with Ripper?

Comment

hej Yngwie!

good to have you aboard!

As a long time fan, and a total gearhead, I've gotta ask, considering you play metal, and considering a lot of your shred peers' equipment choices, what is it that you love so much about the single coil sound in the high gain environment, for rhythms and leads?

Skål & Tack!

\m/

Comment

Originally posted by dmandude123455 View Post
                    Hi Yngwie, thanks for spending some time with the forum.

my question is, how did you develop your finger speed?

and welcome to the SD family
                    I never deliberately tried. I just played and played and played until I thought it sounded good. I've never used any exercises, per se, to develop speed.

Comment

This is more a request than a question:

Come to South America and specially PERU in your next tour!

You have a lot of fans here!

Thanks for the music Yngwie!!
                      http://www.myspace.com/nunoslasher

Comment

Thanks for visiting!

Could you describe what you wanted to achieve with the Fury, and why you chose Seymour Duncan to fulfill that need?
                        Band: www.colouredanimal.com
                        Twitter: www.twitter.com/mrperki
                        Blorg: mrperki.tumblr.com

Read my Seymour Duncan blog posts

Comment

Hi, I'm a HUGE fan of yours and i would like you to answer the following question for me: if you had to use a humbucker as your only source of tone, so no single coils, what humbucker would you use for recording and playing live?

thank you very much man i really appreciate your music and your playing, you rock!
                          Gibson Les Paul Classic 1960 Reissue
                          Bridge; Gibson Angus Young Signature Humbucker, Neck; Seymour Duncan '59
                          Mesa Boogie F-30 Custom Shop (Red)

Comment

Originally posted by donbarzini View Post
                            Hello Yngwie, would you say that the Fury pickups are still voiced torwards your earlier tones say with Steeler and Alcatrazz, or are these more fine tuned for your present heavier style of music with Ripper?
                            If I had to say anything, it would be more towards the Alcatrazz/Steeler thing. However, it's extremely versatile and isn't limited to one style.

Comment

Originally posted by ConvoysToNothingness View Post
                              hej Yngwie!

good to have you aboard!

As a long time fan, and a total gearhead, I've gotta ask, considering you play metal, and considering a lot of your shred peers' equipment choices, what is it that you love so much about the single coil sound in the high gain environment, for rhythms and leads?

Skål & Tack!

\m/
                              The single coil magnetic window allows the definition of the notes to be much more precise vs. the double coil magnetic window. It's a big difference in definition. It's a clarity-thing. Even with distortion, it's more clear.

Comment

Originally posted by NUNOSLASH View Post
                                This is more a request than a question:

Come to South America and specially PERU in your next tour!

You have a lot of fans here!

Thanks for the music Yngwie!!
                                Alright!

Comment

Working...
                                X