This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Q&A with Yngwie Malmsteen - 1/18/10

SDUGF Members, I'm proud to introduce the newest member of the Seymour Duncan artist family: Yngwie J. Malmsteen. Yngwie is spending the day with us in Santa Barbara and he was gracious enough to devote some time to you and let you get a chance to meet him.

Yngwie is not much of a typist, so I'll be doing the typing. If I need to interject my own words, I'll use my initials.

As stated earlier:

1) One question per forum member.

2) You must have been a registered forum member before this post to ask a question.

3) All forum rules regarding respectfulness will be strictly enforced.

So without further ado, Mr. Yngwie Malmsteen!
    Evan Skopp, Inside Track International
    Sales and marketing reps for Musopia, Reunion Blues, and Q-Parts.

Re: LIVE Q&A with Yngwie Malmsteen - 1/18/10 3:00 Pacific

Yngwie,

Given your change of pickups, one could assume you are changing small aspects of your overall tone. You playing has been described in many ways, but, If you could write a single phrase definition to describe your tone and style in the musical history books, how would you describe it?

Also, being a classically trained guitarist, I must say that your Concerto Suite , live with the New Japan Philharmonic Orchestra was superb. By far my favorite mixture of classical and rock genres.

Thank you for doing this,
    Phil
    - Gibson CS ES339 - Gibson Les Paul Trad - Gibson J-200 Standard - Fender Hwy1 Strat - Gibson Captain Kirk Douglas SG - Takamine E-series Acoustic - Fender Blues Deluxe - Fender Excelsior -

Comment

Good to see you here Mr. Malmsteen. One of the first concerts I went to as a young teenager was Yngwie Malmsteen, Talas, and Sound Barrier at the Hollywood Palladium in '85.

I remember thinking "this guy doesn't sound like anyone else" and figured you could probably play just about anything you set your mind to, but were trying to carve your own identity.

My question is this......if you could add another LIVING guitar player's entire musical mind and technical skill set to your own, so that you'd have everything they're capable of added to your capabilities, who would you choose?
      Originally posted by Boogie Bill
      I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

I have no questions but just I want to say that you're one hell of a player and you have no doubt inspired hundreds of guitar players. Keep it up.

I'll now enjoy these 30 minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by phil_104 View Post
          If you could write a single phrase definition to describe your tone and style in the musical history books, how would you describe it?
          That's an impossible task, but I'll try, Phil. Fluid, intense and emotional.

Comment

Hi Ygnwie, thanks for taking the time to do this.

My question is - would you ever consider switching to a humbucker in the bridge position, for a heavier rythm tone?

And good choice of singers, Tim is the best vocalist in metal right now!

http://www.myspace.com/marchofalaric

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser View Post
              My question is this......if you could add another LIVING guitar player's entire musical mind and technical skill set to your own, so that you'd have everything they're capable of added to your capabilities, who would you choose?
              I don't think like that. But I'll have to say, Allen Holdsworth. He does some stuff that's so outside the box.

Comment

Yngwie, great to have you on the forum!!

My question is: If you were told that you could only play one more gig, where would you play it, and with whom?

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it's a plan!

Comment

Originally posted by Evan Skopp View Post
                  That's an impossible task, but I'll try, Phil. Fluid, intense and emotional.
                  Thank you very much for the response! That a great way of describing it.

Welcome once more to the Duncan family, and keep on rocking!
                  - Gibson CS ES339 - Gibson Les Paul Trad - Gibson J-200 Standard - Fender Hwy1 Strat - Gibson Captain Kirk Douglas SG - Takamine E-series Acoustic - Fender Blues Deluxe - Fender Excelsior -

Comment

Originally posted by Got_tone? View Post
                    I have no questions but just I want to say that you're one hell of a player and you have no doubt inspired hundreds of guitar players. Keep it up.

I'll now enjoy these 30 minutes.
                    Thank you!

Comment

My question, what was the inspiration/reason for the scalloped fretboard, and very thin strings.
                      Did you play a guitar that was already set up like that and fall in love?

Or did you decide one day, I want to try this, because of this, and then it just stuck.
                      Originally posted by jcthejester13
                      Some musicians are good, and some are not so good. Some musicians use guitars, and some don't use guitars. The end.

Comment

Originally posted by stevie_bees View Post
                        Yngwie, great to have you on the forum!!

My question is: If you were told that you could only play one more gig, where would you play it, and with whom?
                        I've played just about everywhere. And they've all been great. It's hard to pick just one.

Comment

What is the "core" difference between your "old" PU and the new SD one.

Thanx for the whole inspiration for years BTW. Cheers!
                          www.myspace.com/daemonbarbeque

Comment

Hi,

I've read that you have an amazing collection of vintage strats. What kinds do you have? Do you scallop the fingerboards and replace the pickups on all of them, or do you keep them original?

Comment

Yngwie,

It's an honor to have you here with us. Thank you!

I know Ritchie Blackmore has been one of your biggest inspirations as a guitar player; he's been my biggest influence for many years.

What caught your attention the most about him when you first listened to him? Also, is there anything about his playing/tone/etc. that you still haven't quite captured that you wish you had in your arsenal?

You're an amazing guitar player and a legend, Yngwie. Rock on!

EDIT: Just noticed I wrote two questions. If necessary, ignore the first question. Sorry about that.
                              Last edited by Diego; 01-18-2010, 05:16 PM.
                              Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
                              Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
                              Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
                              Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

Working...
                              X