• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Riff-Off 2.4: Stockholm Syndrome vs. Chumble Spuzz

7 to 7 right now
    my soundclick page

Comment

this round is hot! I listened to both again and again! Well done brothers!
      www.myspace.com/daemonbarbeque

Comment

Wow... close round so far.

Both are notey and melodic and had cool rhythms. Each one has their unique strengths.

Voted!

Comment

WOW!

Great work guys! Congrats on bing in the final!

Voted....but IT WASN"T EASY for me!

Comment

the lead has switched twice so far - that's craziness
            my soundclick page

Comment

close one for sure!
              I like the old grimy sludgy sound of stokholm one, but the chumble spuzz one was clean AND nasty, just like I like em . . . clean and nasty!
              Go buy my book. https://www.amazon.com/dp/198405564X

Comment

Upon first listen both riffs seem cluttered with unnecessary fluff.

Stockholm's distorted tone is downright offensive. Each time I've listened to it I wish it faded in or somehow prepared me for the dirty, flubby, fizzy, lazy, plodding, annoyingness.

Chumble's instantly sounds like a riff Iron Maiden would have thrown away in about 1984. The delay is a little distracting and the crunchy payoff seems cliche and makes me say "really? Are you serious?"

Having said all that, and after a few more listens, my ears start to sort through the fluff and get to the riffage.

Stockholm's does seem to have a cool, almost classic rock vibe about it. It sounds like an intro to an Alice in Chains or Smashing Pumpkins song. It's not bad, but to me ears it sounds like a prelude to the real riff which should immediately follow.

Chumble's riff is more ambitious and attempts to deliver a variety of emotions. My favorite part of it is the dramatic pauses after the first few bars. This is presumably done to let the echo ring out but it's also a great contrast to the crunch that immediately follows.

I'd love to hear each of these with the effects and fuzz stripped away but in the end I think I have to go with Chumble.

Comment

tied up again 14-14 at this point.
                  my soundclick page

Comment

Wow, two great entries for sure !!! I listened a few times and i feel that both riffs have a 'vision' to them, and both make me feel like i'm listening to a song rather than just a riff, which i think is probably a big credit to our riffmesters.

Ignoring sound and recording quality, and performance quality, one riff spoke more to my sensibilities and my desire to hear things 'outside the box', so it got my vote. But both felt very focused and solid, like direct, confident statements rather than vague concepts. These are good things in my book.

Congratulations to both, you've made this a great final and it's been a joy to listen. Rock on !
                    Lumbering dinosaur (what's a master volume control?)

STALKER NO STALKING !

Comment

went with chumble. I liked the idea of stock using bass (at least I think it's a bass guitar), but it's just too distorted for me to grab on to.

Comment

Great work, guys!

I'm not a fuzz fan, yet after listening a couple of times Stockholm's riff really stood out.

Chumble's lick grabbed me immediately. I like the contrast of the muted, staccato lick with the distorted response.

Tough call.
                        Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:13; 10:9-10

Teknon Theou
                        https://youtube.com/channel/UCo848I2...e4jKB5DNZ4Y7hs
                        Complaining that there are hypocrites in church is like complaining that fat people use the gym. Where else would you have them be?

Comment

wow - tied up again 18 to 18
                          my soundclick page

Comment

cast my vote. i really liked both riffs in this round
                            Originally posted by Empty Pockets
                            yngwie sounds like an orchestra of cartoon bees.

Comment

I dug Stock's grimy blown-speaker tone, as well as the groove he laid down with it. Both fit each other very well.

Chumble's use of delay and emptiness was excellent, but I felt Stock had the stronger, more-easily-identifiable-with riff.
                              Originally posted by Brown Note
                              I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
                              My Blog

Comment

Whoa!!!!......19-19!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X