Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Riff-Off TITLE BOUT: GoDrex vs. B2D

Reminds me of and/or originality:
    +1 Riff B - Queensryche, I've heard this style riff before but not often.
    Riff A - Maybe something Night Ranger might use? 80's recycled (in a good way.)

Performance:
    +1 Riff A - Maybe kick the tempo up a tad, but played well for what it is.
    Riff B - Seems the timing was off or something, can't get a handle on the rhythm, not played as clean but was a more challenging riff.

Riff:
    +1 Riff B - would make for a much more interesting song
    Riff A - Not enough of a hook.

Riff B wins 2 to 1!

Comment

In my opinion, this is what it's all about. (Of course it's my opinion. I'm writing this.)

Anyways, Riff A is clean, crisp, and well-executed. It's a good riff. But it's not mind-blowing. Most definitely better than anything I'd be able to come up with, but not epic.

Riff B, though, blew my pants off. I know that's a little personal, but they're back on now. It was one of those riffs that gives you a little chill down your spine while you're blasted with the awesomeness of rock. I think Chuck Norris would approve of this riff. I certainly do.

Comment

Oddly the note choices sound almost identical to me. Like they were given a specific pattern to interpret. Then again, I'm fighting some sort of flu or something, so I'm a bit fkd up from it
        Originally posted by Brown Note
        I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
        My Blog

Comment

After 24 hours—well, 26 hours, but you know—we have about the typical number of votes we've been seeing one day into the regular Riff-Off polls. I was hoping for a bigger voter turnout because it's the Title Bout, but that may be wishful thinking. Maybe part of it is because Day 1 is during the week rather than over the weekend.

I want GoDrex and B2D to know I'm impressed with what they've been able to do given the odd time signature. I think it really shows their ability to come up with something strong even when put inside a box. It shows another level of musicianship befitting of a champ.

- Keith
          Originally posted by ImmortalSix
          I am just jug the merlot

Comment

Originally posted by Pink Unicorn Horsey View Post
            After 24 hours—well, 26 hours, but you know—we have about the typical number of votes we've been seeing one day into the regular Riff-Off polls. I was hoping for a bigger voter turnout because it's the Title Bout, but that may be wishful thinking. Maybe part of it is because Day 1 is during the week rather than over the weekend.

I want GoDrex and B2D to know I'm impressed with what they've been able to do given the odd time signature. I think it really shows their ability to come up with something strong even when put inside a box. It shows another level of musicianship befitting of a champ.

- Keith
            it pisses me off severely that theres a ton of people on these boards but only a few vote.

how is riff b winning? riff A is much more compelling!

riff b: you are cool. you can play well, but i found you odd.

Comment

Originally posted by astrozombie View Post
              it pisses me off severely that theres a ton of people on these boards but only a few vote.
              tips and clips hasn't always been the most popular place on the forum, for reasons unknown.

Comment

Simple: we would rather talk about music than play or listen to it.

I'm as guilty of this as anyone, and I play guitar every single day.
                -Adam

Hear or Follow my music:

Comment

riff b: you are cool. you can play well, but i found you odd.
                  That's what makes the riff cool - there is some oddity going on there, and I just wanna hear more. It's not that odd, in the end.. But odd and groovy enough to fascinate.
                  My Soundclick

Comment

Actually, almost every "friend" I have from this board is made in this room. I think this is the beat part of the forum, not overcrowded, not too stretched or moderated. Mostly creative heads and talented people.
                    It is one of the best rooms in the Internet indeed. We have people like TheBoatcanrock, Geoff Wells, Frank , Niels, Rob , Adam, Matt, Cgord and many others just sharing their creativity and looking for feedback.

I am a bit curious why some of the prominent tips and clips people doesn't vote or even leave a comment.
                    www.myspace.com/daemonbarbeque

Comment

how is riff b winning? riff A is much more compelling!
                      Your statement in light of the score just demonstrates that judging is a very subjective matter!

I found A to be tighter, more focused, and certainly harder driving ...... all big pluses. I thought that both were very creative ..... as the time signature demanded, but that B was slightly more original sounding.

Ultimately, it was the x factor in riffer B's submission that tipped the scales. There was something about the melodic content that appealed to me.
                      I am so close to retirement that I could play in a band full time. All I have to do is figure out what to use instead of money, improve my playing, learn some songs, and find some other musicians more talented than me who will do exactly as they're told. .

Comment

Just 36 votes after two days. Anyone else want to get in on the voting?

- Keith
                        I am just jug the merlot

Comment

Originally posted by Pink Unicorn Horsey View Post
                          Just 36 votes after two days. Anyone else want to get in on the voting?

- Keith
                          that's only about 4 or 5 shy of the typical isn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by DankStar View Post
                            that's only about 4 or 5 shy of the typical isn't it?
                            Yeah, I suppose it is. I just expected the voting for the Title Bout to be higher than usual, not lower.
                            I am just jug the merlot

Comment

Originally posted by sosomething View Post
                              Simple: we would rather talk about music than play or listen to it.

I'm as guilty of this as anyone, and I play guitar every single day.
                              ...and we'd much rather talk about Jugging the Merlot than music!

When this idea was introduced, I had grandiose thoughts of what it could become. I mean, it couldn't be simpler, right? Listen to two 30 second clips and vote for one. We should have 100+ votes per round. Out of 1,600 active members we're getting about a 3% participation rate.
                              Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Riff A rolls over the 7/8 change well, but I feel like a lot of effort was made to create something that did fit with that timing. I feel that odd time signatures are not a part of your typical musical vocabulary. If that's true, very nice job creating a riff in 7/8 that doesn't feel overly-forced.

Riff B sounds like a riff that I want to hear the song to. While a bit more "jarring" to the ear than Riff B, I feel that it goes above and beyond being in 7/8 and makes a musical statement.

Nice job by both guys, but I have to give the nod to Riff B for being something I could definately see a song being constructed around.
                                Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Working...
                                X