Originally posted by GoDrex View Post
    send a private message to Pink Unicorn Horsey
    Indeed.
    Originally posted by ImmortalSix
    I am just jug the merlot

Comment

Re: Vote Today!

I find it perfect as it is now!
      thank you Adam, Keith, Bill for the advices and everyone else who compete, vote and comment.
      It is a joy for me, something refreshing, educating and provoking
      www.myspace.com/daemonbarbeque

Comment

Originally posted by daemon barbeque View Post
        i find it perfect as it is now!
        Thank you adam, keith, bill for the advices and everyone else who compete, vote and comment.
        It is a joy for me, something refreshing, educating and provoking
        +1
        I am so close to retirement that I could play in a band full time. All I have to do is figure out what to use instead of money, improve my playing, learn some songs, and find some other musicians more talented than me who will do exactly as they're told. .

Comment

I don't see why we couldn't combine the two systems, honestly. You get a bracket, and each guy gets a 1-6 vote. The higher average score goes on. That way, we get a more accurate tally while maintaining the competitive nature.

The only difficulty I can see is actually putting the two together in a single thread. How do you do two polls at once? Do you put both tracks in two separate threads and make sure that the voter is sure they're only voting for the right person? I like the competition, and I think the commentary is more insightful when people can say, "I liked this about Riff A more than Riff B."

Plus Vegas has a harder time giving odds on the group matchups.

Comment

Originally posted by misterwhizzy View Post
            I don't see why we couldn't combine the two systems, honestly. You get a bracket, and each guy gets a 1-6 vote. The higher average score goes on. That way, we get a more accurate tally while maintaining the competitive nature.

The only difficulty I can see is actually putting the two together in a single thread. How do you do two polls at once? Do you put both tracks in two separate threads and make sure that the voter is sure they're only voting for the right person? I like the competition, and I think the commentary is more insightful when people can say, "I liked this about Riff A more than Riff B."

Plus Vegas has a harder time giving odds on the group matchups.
            That's definitely doable, but you still have the potential for a pairing of two stronger riffs and a pairing of two weaker riffs, and you'll always get just one of those two stronger riffs advancing, and one of the weaker riffs advancing. I don't have a problem with that if people like the bracketed layout—I happen to like the bracket—but it doesn't resolve the issue the averaging approach tries to tackle.

- Keith
            I am just jug the merlot

Comment

Originally posted by Pink Unicorn Horsey View Post
              That's definitely doable, but you still have the potential for a pairing of two stronger riffs and a pairing of two weaker riffs, and you'll always get just one of those two stronger riffs advancing, and one of the weaker riffs advancing.
              Maybe, but neither of the two first months had problems with weak finals or weak later rounds. I understand the theory, but in my opinion, the facts don't support it.

I don't have a problem with that if people like the bracketed layout—I happen to like the bracket—but it doesn't resolve the issue the averaging approach tries to tackle.
              One of the problems was the blowouts. And I think it will solve that. In fact, I think it was my post that started the whole averaging idea, since I told Lazarus I felt real sorry for him. So I'm not against the idea, but I don't get the idea that this is a competition right now.

You know, we could even talk about a heat system, where four riffers are involved in a heat, and the top two scorers go on to the next round. (Of course this was Olympics inspired, but so what?) Could that be a good compromise?

Comment

The problem is, the "evolving" participants lose their chances with the bracketing system. A very good competitor flies out in the first round, and that person could be actually the champion if he could have post more riffs.
                This system is almost flawless.
                Sure, it is easier to choose with the bracketing system. But it doesn't help people to get better, and it doesn't help people to understand how well their riff is accepted.
                I for instance, hate to chose one on another. I prefer to say and rate as I feel. Black or white is not very helping in this competition. Grayscale helps more INMO.
                www.myspace.com/daemonbarbeque

Comment

Originally posted by daemon barbeque View Post
                  The problem is, the "evolving" participants lose their chances with the bracketing system. A very good competitor flies out in the first round, and that person could be actually the champion if he could have post more riffs.
                  This system is almost flawless.
                  Sure, it is easier to choose with the bracketing system. But it doesn't help people to get better, and it doesn't help people to understand how well their riff is accepted.
                  I for instance, hate to chose one on another. I prefer to say and rate as I feel. Black or white is not very helping in this competition. Grayscale helps more INMO.

Agreed. I imagine no voting system is going to be perfect, but this works well and allows everyone a good chance, and even those who don't progress can still get an idea of how well their efforts were recieved. It does make voting in the first round a pretty big task, (I had to listen and make notes, then listen to them all a couple more times before i voted). But hey, people make the effort to enter riffs, so a little effort from the voters isn't too much to ask. It's not like we have to listen to an entire song or album from each entrant, hehe, just 20 or 30 seconds of their efforts. I'd love to see the voting figues move up closer to about 80 - 100 votes per entry on average, i think that would flesh the tournament out beautifully.
                  Lumbering dinosaur (what's a master volume control?)

STALKER NO STALKING !

Comment

^yeah, only 40-42 voters out of 1650 "active users" yields a very sad 2.5% voter turnout.....

(check it out PUH, my first number-crunching post)

Comment

I am mad at the riff off.
                      -Adam

Hear or Follow my music:

Comment

Originally posted by sosomething View Post
                        Jug the merlot. It helps.
                        my vinyl record collection | updated 11 August 2015

Comment

I think the Riff-Off feels a bit betrayed.
                          I am just jug the merlot

Comment

We can tell.
                            Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Working...
                            X