for Floydhalen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• for Floydhalen

Hey man..this was from the old board..you asked me about the vetta..so I thought I'd just post it on the new and improved message board! enjoy!

Hey floyd..good to talk to you....my opinion on the vetta? Welp, I've had it for a little over a year now. I recently upgraded to the vetta 2 software. I really liked this amp before, but now I'm in love with the thing! The amp models, which were already very tube like during its first incarnation, are even moreso now.

This isn't the first serious amp I've had either. I've had experience with alot of different amps. I started off with solid state. Then I went to a 5150. Then I used the power amp section of that to power a triaxis preamp. Then I traded in the 5150 for a simuclass 290 power amp and mesa cabinet. THEN I traded all THAT in for a triple rectifier..lol...so yeah, I've had some tube amps =) I could never get the sound out of them I wanted. Definetly couldn't get anything close to what VHolic is getting, that's for darn' sure! I think it's the fact that a) I wasn't micing the thing but that's not as important as b) the fact that they were so loud I couldn't crank them enough to get the power tubes REALLY going.

I went to sam ash to get another guitar in addition to my Lynch and the guy plugged me into a line 6 flextone. Sounded pretty nasty. Nice, tight, ballsy. Then I started looking into the vetta. Two amps at once, all the fx you could possibly want, nice and small. I was pretty much sold.

And now with the vetta 2 being out, you could probably get an original for a steal and then just buy a usb-midi interface and upgrade to vetta2. It's the same exact amp except for the look of it and the software.

You can direct record with it or you can mic it. It's got built in noise gate. It's got an arsenal of vintage and moder fx and pedals. An army of vintage and modern amps and cabinets. And lemme tell ya, I've had a triple rectifier and the model is so realistic sounding, it's scary! The tone's pretty much dead on. With two minor exceptions. It's got the sound of that bad boy with the volume cranked and it holds its gain at low volumes. Which is another reason I fell in love with it.

I've been working on a patch using the 5150 II amp models that's comming pretty close to eddie's old school tone.

I could talk about it all day, and I think I'm doing that already so I apologize if this has been long and boring..lol...but I would suggest just bringing in your guitar and your cables (I use monster cables so I brought them into the store with me rather than use the crummy ones they hand out) and plug in and whale away. I was there for about 5 or 6 hours tryin' that thing...

Hope this helps!
    Splawn QR
    Splawn 4x12 w/greenbacks
    Splawn 2x12 w/ CL80s
    George Lynch Skulls n' Snakes Sig ESP w/JB trembucker

My Cover Band
    My Gear Pix
    My SPLAWN Clips
    My SPLAWN Vids/Homepage

Thanx shreder!.....changed my username since the site knocked me off....had to re-register. What's up with this?? I recently put in a 59 duncan which led me to this site a few weeks back and since then the site has wiped out all the prior post....not once but twice!oh well computers.....gotta love em! I have a 5150 combo and a boss gt-3 and I can tell you it's no where near the plexi tone. I was thinking of adding a weber mass to push this rascal past 5 since I've never had it past 3.......it's loud enough there...so my neighbors say.....LOL! I'm getting a podxt pro Monday so I'll fool with that a bit to see what I get.....hopefully with just some of the effects I can shape my tone the way I like.
    I know the mxr phaser is on there and my gt 3 doesn't do one too well. I'd hate to play with amp simulation ......sounds like crud with my gt-3.......bottom line is there's nothin like the real thing and why the heck use an amp like the 5150 for simulation.....seems to be senseless.......however if I can get some cool tones I'll be happy. I know if I had Vhoholics tone I doubt I'd put the guitar down very much! The 5150 does hard rock,metal well but I think it lacks with the clean channel. I can't seem to get that overdriven plexi tone....brown warm mushy crunch. This is what interest me with the vetta.....versatility and ability to dial in certain tones with ease. I hope the pod xt does somethin for me.....hopefully I can record a clip with it and let you folks tell me what's up with my tone!

Comment

Originally posted by lizzard65
      Thanx shreder!.....changed my username since the site knocked me off....had to re-register. What's up with this?? I recently put in a 59 duncan which led me to this site a few weeks back and since then the site has wiped out all the prior post....not once but twice!oh well computers.....gotta love em! I have a 5150 combo and a boss gt-3 and I can tell you it's no where near the plexi tone. I was thinking of adding a weber mass to push this rascal past 5 since I've never had it past 3.......it's loud enough there...so my neighbors say.....LOL! I'm getting a podxt pro Monday so I'll fool with that a bit to see what I get.....hopefully with just some of the effects I can shape my tone the way I like.
      I know the mxr phaser is on there and my gt 3 doesn't do one too well. I'd hate to play with amp simulation ......sounds like crud with my gt-3.......bottom line is there's nothin like the real thing and why the heck use an amp like the 5150 for simulation.....seems to be senseless.......however if I can get some cool tones I'll be happy. I know if I had Vhoholics tone I doubt I'd put the guitar down very much! The 5150 does hard rock,metal well but I think it lacks with the clean channel. I can't seem to get that overdriven plexi tone....brown warm mushy crunch. This is what interest me with the vetta.....versatility and ability to dial in certain tones with ease. I hope the pod xt does somethin for me.....hopefully I can record a clip with it and let you folks tell me what's up with my tone!
      hey man...yeah, they were changing the server or some such..so there were a few problems here and there..lol...so it wasn't just you!

I hear good things about the pod...won alot of awards and there's alotta happy users over on the line 6 site....I don't know much about that...I've seen it...I'm assuming you can plug that into an amp or just some speakers or headphones, right?

anywho, the models in that are based on the vetta (or vice versa)..so it'll be similar...

there could be a few reasons why you're not getting the same tone as VH..first off, don't forget he's micing the cabinet! that's got alot to do with it I'm sure!

the guitar has alot to do with it too (now, I'm sure you know all of this..but I like to gab about this kinda stuff..lol..don't have too many friends to ttalk equipment with!)...you seem to have the same setup as VH though..you have teh same pup and such...right now I have a duncan distortion...I have a JB on the way though...the scooped eq appeals to me more..and I hear great things about it..even so, Iv'e been getting some pretty cool VH'ish tones with the Distortion

now, what exactly is it about your tone that is 'off' from the EVH brown sound? too muddy? not crunchy enough? too fizzy?

have you tried using monster cables? I have used them for years and they DO make a difference..one of the best upgrades you can make...

I see you mentioned something about a hot plate or something similar...so you can drive the tubes hotter with keeping the volume low, right? I loooked into that when I had my mesa rig...rigS I should say.lol...guy more or less talked me out of it...I dunno.. hear good things about them though..might be what you're looking for!

anywho, you can email me if you want! [email protected] just be sure to put something specific in the subject cause I get about a billion spam emails a day..lol...
      Splawn QR
      Splawn 4x12 w/greenbacks
      Splawn 2x12 w/ CL80s

My Cover Band
      My Gear Pix
      My SPLAWN Clips
      My SPLAWN Vids/Homepage

Comment

i love the way 5150s call the knobs 'preamp gain' and 'poweramp gain'. its so much more sense than 'gain' n 'volume', a newbie to valve amps will understand it so much better

all the rich kids near me have DSL 50's, 'gain' always on 10, volume on 4, bidge pickup, midrange on 10 because 'they can never hear themselves'

Comment

Hey shred I sent you an email with a vid attachment.....hope your hotmail account will accept the file size. If you see this loading you'll know it's my email.....probably take a while unless you have cable modem or dsl. Worth a laugh!

Comment

hey Lizzard..I think I deleted it by friggin' accident =( tell ya what..just email it to my regular account

[email protected]

I know I won't have a problem getting that..hotmail has limits..

what's it a vid of?
            Splawn QR
            Splawn 4x12 w/greenbacks
            Splawn 2x12 w/ CL80s

My Cover Band
            My Gear Pix
            My SPLAWN Clips
            My SPLAWN Vids/Homepage

Comment

Just a little clip of me jammin and my dog howlin in the background.......worth a chuckle! I just tried your regular account so let me know......

Comment

it was too big! by about two megs..lol...hmmm...

my yahoo's in my profile...so maybe sometime this week you can catch me on there and we can do a file transfer or something...
                Splawn QR
                Splawn 4x12 w/greenbacks
                Splawn 2x12 w/ CL80s

My Cover Band
                My Gear Pix
                My SPLAWN Clips
                My SPLAWN Vids/Homepage

Comment

Hey shred.......yahoo is f'd up to say the least.....If I can give any advice stay clear from their services.......you'll get spammed to death! I did fwd the email without the attachment ......did you get that???

Comment

So the Vetta amps are worth a try? I like versitality in a cheap package, and I can't play at very high volumes very often, so this appeals to me. how does it compare to the vox valvetronix?
                    Sonic the Hedgehog blows my mind!!!

Comment

Originally posted by shreder75
                      it was too big! by about two megs..lol...hmmm...

my yahoo's in my profile...so maybe sometime this week you can catch me on there and we can do a file transfer or something...
                      yeah, got both of your emails! I dunno what else to do...I have msn as well if you'd wanna try sending it that way one time when we're both on..
                      Splawn QR
                      Splawn 4x12 w/greenbacks
                      Splawn 2x12 w/ CL80s

My Cover Band
                      My Gear Pix
                      My SPLAWN Clips
                      My SPLAWN Vids/Homepage

Comment

Originally posted by jetjoe002
                        So the Vetta amps are worth a try? I like versitality in a cheap package, and I can't play at very high volumes very often, so this appeals to me. how does it compare to the vox valvetronix?
                        hey jet...I think the vetta's are definetly worth a look...I played one for about 6 hours in teh store before I bought it..lol...give it a shot..don't cost nothin' it definetly does alot of things well! no more pedals and rack fx either..

as far as the vox, I don't know much about that...at least from experience...most of the things I've read on the vetta, review wise, both users and 'pro' reviews for site and mags tend to love the thing..
                        Splawn QR
                        Splawn 4x12 w/greenbacks
                        Splawn 2x12 w/ CL80s

My Cover Band
                        My Gear Pix
                        My SPLAWN Clips
                        My SPLAWN Vids/Homepage

Comment

cool shreder, thanks for the info.
                          Sonic the Hedgehog blows my mind!!!

Comment

no problem Jet..lemme know how you like it if you get a chance to scope it out..also try going tot he line6 forums and harmony central..tons of user reviews
                            Splawn QR
                            Splawn 4x12 w/greenbacks
                            Splawn 2x12 w/ CL80s

My Cover Band
                            My Gear Pix
                            My SPLAWN Clips
                            My SPLAWN Vids/Homepage

Comment

Working...
                            X