how to get pinch harmonics like zakk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: how to get pinch harmonics like zakk

could the wood my guitar body be made of keeping the harmonics from being over the top? the wi14 has a basswood body. the other factor i forgot to tell you is the amp i have is a vypyr tube 120. it has the mx wylde pedal as one of the effects but it seems to hav no bottom end to it, all mid and high. when i switch to the plexi high gain channel and then stack the mx wylde effect on top the sound screams with harmonics but it is pretty noisy, plus the sound will feedback the second a note is silenced unless i turn off my pot or mute all the strings. as far as selecting an amp modle with no effect the dual rectifier, sounds the best for bringing out the harmonics, the jsx and 6505 models aren't bad either.

Comment

Really you're equipment will only help your pinch harmonic sound more like Zakk's. It won't help you make them come out. Most people that get good at it can make them come out of a clean or acoustic guitar. There's a youtube video of Billy Gibbons showing how he does pinchies with very low gain. He shows where harmonics are past the frets and then picks there with his pick and thumb, and BAM! It really helped me make my technique better so that I could do Zakk-ish/Killswitch Engage-ish pinchies as well as very low gain ZZTop type ones.

Keep practicing bro and don't give up

Comment

When I really want some digging over the top pinch harmonics: (and I love em!)

I choke down on the pick leaving just a small tip showing.

Twist the pick sideways as I pluck that note, rotating it out sort of, thus causing my thumb to barely scrape past the "just picked" string. (Thats what makes it ring)

Bending the string as you pick it also helps.

And nothing beats tons of gain for this technique.

Good luck young padawan
        Go buy my book. https://www.amazon.com/dp/198405564X

Comment

i think its all technique. tons of gain helps them ring but with the right technique you can do it on an acoustic.
          our first drummer died in a bizzare gardening accident!

I won't dance in a club like this,
          'Cause all the girls are sluts,
          And the beer tastes just like piss.

Comment

practice on an acoustic guitar. when you can do them flawlessly on an acoustic, then an electric will be a piece of cake.

Comment

Turn up the gain. It will get easier, but a lot of technique is used also.
              "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
              "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Producing the harmonic is the first part. Different amounts of gain and overdrive will accentuate different parts of the harmonic/s.So will other effects like wah pedals.Experiment with that and figure out what you want.
                sigpic

- http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=804435 -
                - https://soundcloud.com/mr-ds-bigband/tracks -

Warning: May contain traces of NUTS

Comment

Try hitting the pinch with loads more pick pressure than you normally would for ordinary notes, and aim your pick between the two pickups.
                  👣
                  👣
                  💀

Comment

Working...
                  X