This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Q&A with Dave Mustaine 4/13/10

In a SDUGF exclusive, the legendary Dave Mustaine is hand to answer questions from SD forum members today April 13, from 2:00 to 3:00 PM Pacific time. Be advised that administrators will be watching this thread very carefully and all rules of respect will be monitored very closely.

It’s a rare thing when a musician comes face to face with what made them great to begin with. ENDGAME is that moment for Dave Mustaine and Megadeth. It’s the record where it all comes full circle in a career that has not only set standards in hard rock and metal, but defined them. Megadeth are rage on a tight rein, as precise and beautifully destructive as a laser guided missile. “After the smoke had cleared from personnel and label changes, I knew that regaining respect for me and for Megadeth was going to be a huge undertaking,” says Mustaine of the process re-tooling Megadeth after what is considered the “classic” line-up. “It was much like trying to turn a battleship -- no, more like an aircraft carrier-- around.”

Mission accomplished on ENDGAME, which is as extreme as anything Megadeth has ever recorded. The album’s signature track “Head Crusher” should not merely serve as a wake-up for old fans but also a new generation ready to keep Mustaine & Co.’s brand of shredding guitar and bellicose songsmanship at the forefront of today’s metal scene. This, however, is not surprising for the man who has created and branded “Gigantour,” which for the past three years has united some of metal’s most musically literate players including Dream Theater, Children of Bodom and Opeth. Then again, what else would one expect from someone who culled a sound from The New Wave of British Heavy Metal and created metal’s then-new chic, which was state of the art speed metal?

The Megadeth machine is built on a blueprint of stark, complex musicianship. Over time, with album sales nearing 25 million worldwide, Mustaine has balanced rabid-dog aggression with staggering song-craft. The albums Killing Is My Business…And Business Is Good!, Peace Sells…But Who’s Buying? , So Far…So Good…So What? and Countdown to Extinction remain true metal classics. No surprise then that Mustaine was awarded the title of “Riff Lord” at 2008’s Metal Hammer Golden Gods Awards in the U.K, or that he was crowned “Golden God” at the 2009 Revolver Golden Gods Awards in America.

Which of course shouldn’t negate the flirting with commercial success on Youthanasia, Cryptic Writings or Risk. Or even Megadeth’s road back to the standing at the top of metal’s top players with World Needs a Hero, The System Has Failed and their Roadrunner debut, United Abominations. “It was a good lesson about the need to follow your heart,” says Dave of the creative process with ENDGAME. “I am grateful to have fans who have let me stretch my wings musically. But this is where I am most comfortable.”

At this point, Dave Mustaine has nothing to prove. To make the record he wanted, Mustaine found himself building a full-blown recording studio in San Marcos, California, just outside of San Diego, dubbed “Vic’s Garage” after Megadeth’s iconic, skull-faced mascot Vic Rattlehead. His rationale for building a studio for Megadeth was simple: “When we went into the studio last time it was too expensive, too extravagant, too arrogant and I think it made us a little lazy,” muses Mustaine.

Andy Sneap, metal-producer and mixer par-excellence and a Megadeth cohort from United Abominations, returned to work alongside of Mustaine. The result of this metal-mongering synergy speaks for itself. “It’s a great relationship,” says Mustaine of his ongoing dealings with the acclaimed British producer, also known for his work with Killswitch Engage and Machine Head. “We had a few intense moments, but that is part of having a real working relationship. I am a better guitarist, singer and producer due to my tremendous respect for Andy and my open ears when he is listening or isn’t listening to my point of view.”

Musically and lyrically, Dave Mustaine remains metal’s true iconoclast whose latest musical offering rumbles with the intensity his career has been built on. Megadeth has come full circle. Megadeth are back to the killing business…and business has never been better.

Ladies and gentlemen, please give a warm welcome to one of rock's living legends, Dave Mustaine!
    Evan Skopp, Inside Track International
    Sales and marketing reps for Musopia, Reunion Blues, and Q-Parts.

Re: Live - Q&A with Dave Mustaine 4/13/10 - ASK QUESTIONS HERE

Hi Mr. Mustaine, I was wondering a couple of things about songwriting...since most here will cover gear
    and really, I could have all your rig and not write a song like you do.

How do you consistently write music? And how do you keep it from going stale?
    I find that even if you've been around and released tons of albums over the
    years, and changed the sound of the band, had new members here and there, you still write music on a
    constant basis. I find that I can come up with a great song, but then it'll be weeks until
    I can pen another one that's halfway decent. Is there a certain mindset you have when you write?

BTW, I can't wait to see you guys here in Costa Rica. That's going to be a killer show, specially with
    Chris Broderick and you playing guitar! Thanks!

Comment

hey dave i would like to know what is it like to live on the road? and in the studio? thanks josh from las vegas

Comment

Hi, Dave

We ****in love you
        God bless you and god bless MEGADETH.

Questions:

-> When are the originals going to be re-released?
        -> Would you be interested to work with Jeff Waters or Slash in the near future?
        -> When are you guys coming to the UK? Are you going to play the entire RIP record there?

Thanks Dave.

\MEGADETH/

Comment

Hi Dave, I was wondering if you’ve ever considered doing a concept album? I know it doesn’t really seem like a Megadeth sorta thing, not sure how it would work, but I know you could come up with something really killer if you wanted to do one!

Saw you guys in Memphis, TN last month and you were AMAZING! Loved the show so much! Thanks and God bless!
          -Jesse

Comment

Hello Dave! I hope you’re enjoying your time at home.
            How are you feeling? You have a crazy tour schedule ahead!
            How are your neck and back doing?
            Hard on the outside, hiding the inside.

Comment

Holy crap, Dave is here!

Long time fan here, I also post on the MD forums under TheRightToGoInsane. You are my guitar idol, the one who got me into playing guitar. I can't thank you enough!!

I have a question, what are your favourite guitar tones from your previous albums? I personally really like CtE and Youthanasia tone.
              Last edited by MegadethFan; 04-13-2010, 03:12 PM.

Comment

Hello, Dave!
                I'd like to ask will you be playing songs from the legendary Rust in Peace album, in this year Tuska Festival in Finland?
                Thank you, greetings from Europe, Lithuania!

Comment

Greetings man! First of all thank you for your music!I love it, abd it sure help in many hard times in my life! My question 1 is, which advices would you give to some one trying to start his own band? thank you!

Comment

Hi Dave, thanks for your inspiring music and guitar playing!

I’ve been playing for a few years and I’m currently using one of your signature line guitars. I was wondering how you like your guitars setup. I was thinking in terms of neck straightness/bow and string height.

Keep the metal flowing!

Comment

How long will you be playing at the European shows that you’ll be headlining?
                      Is there any chance to get RIP + a good amount of Endgame songs played?
                      Hard on the outside, hiding the inside.

Comment

Dave, you are the one who got me started on playing metal guitar. and I thank you for that. I also continue to listen to your music and love it.

What is your personal favorite Megadeth album? If it happens to be Endgame, second favorite?

Comment

Dave is running a few minutes behind and will be here shortly.
                          Evan Skopp, Inside Track International
                          Sales and marketing reps for Musopia, Reunion Blues, and Q-Parts.

Comment

Hi Dave, great to have you here!!

Do you have an all time favorite tune to play live, or does it rotate?
                            - Tom

Originally posted by Frankly
                            Some people make the wine. Some people drink the wine. And some people sniff the cork and wonder what might have been.
                            The Eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn of the Crow.

Comment

Hello Mr. Mustaine, I have really become a huge fan of your music within the past few months. As both a musician and artist, I really respect the art you've put into the album cover directions, the videos, and everything.

How did you come to meet Ed Repka and hire him to do album art for Peace Sells and Rust In Peace?

Comment

Working...
                              X