JB vs. 500T vs. Super D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JB vs. 500T vs. Super D

as the description says, kinda buzzed from earlier this evening. but i felt like recording some comparisons for the hell of it.
    Last edited by ex-250; 05-02-2010, 09:00 PM.
    Originally posted by Aceman
    It was the age of suave. Men were men, and women were smacked and thrown on the bed and loved it.

Re: JB vs. 500T vs. Super D

Good riffing, bro - buzzed or not! The JB was smooth sounding. The 500t had more punch - in the right places (and the best sounding to me). The Super D was the least appropriate and sounding best on stand-alone chords for it's fatness. That being said, I like DiMarzios' fatness overall and I welcome that for my personal sounds.

But, I love "comparison" links. :cheers:

Comment

This rocked dude. For me the Super Distortion has the sound I would most desire. But for this riff I thought the 500T was the best. I didn't really care for the JB but never have.
      1975 Fender Stratocaster W/ Floyd Rose + mods
      2001 Gibson Les Paul Studio w/Floyd Rose, Scalloped neck, EMG 81/85 Combo
      Marshall FJA Signature modded JMP 1979 50 watt
      Marshall JVM205H
      Marshall 1960AX cabinet(w/ 2 V30's & 2 G12M Greenbacks)
      Empty(unloaded)Laney 2x12
      + a bunch of pedals

Comment

wow, you guys are referring to the 500t as a good pickup. seriously?

Comment

500T for the palm muted riffage. JB for the higher single notes.

Comment

500T gets lots of good press around here. it was too dark in my gibson with 300k pots, but in the LTD (thinner body) with 500k, it sounds great.

whenever i go these comparisons, the Super D always sounds best to me. its just got such girth to it, yet it still has a nice snap as well (maple neck, maple board on that guitar) that would stand out well in a mix.

anyhow, thanks for the compliments. the JB has been in my explorer for nearly 5 years now, but with the recent additions of the 500T and Super D in my other main guitars, ive been really tempted to pull it for something else. i was gonna try all my spare pickups i have laying around, but then i remembered how damn cramped the explorer control cavity is and lost all desire to do 5 pickup swaps in there in one evening.
            It was the age of suave. Men were men, and women were smacked and thrown on the bed and loved it.

Comment

Originally posted by ex-250 View Post
              500T gets lots of good press around here. it was too dark in my gibson with 300k pots, but in the LTD (thinner body) with 500k, it sounds great.

whenever i go these comparisons, the Super D always sounds best to me. its just got such girth to it, yet it still has a nice snap as well (maple neck, maple board on that guitar) that would stand out well in a mix.

anyhow, thanks for the compliments. the JB has been in my explorer for nearly 5 years now, but with the recent additions of the 500T and Super D in my other main guitars, ive been really tempted to pull it for something else. i was gonna try all my spare pickups i have laying around, but then i remembered how damn cramped the explorer control cavity is and lost all desire to do 5 pickup swaps in there in one evening.
              explorers are cramped?

Comment

yes ma'am.

(not mine)

fine for doing one swap at a time, but i wanted to swap 5 pickups in & out of there in one evening, making clips of each to compare them all.

Comment

500T 1st place, then JB, then Super D.
                  Originally posted by Jessie's ghost
                  That's one of the reasons I don't have children. Bullet-proof insurance against anything bad happening to them.
                  Originally posted by JOLLY
                  Just made my 7th White Russian. We'll see what happens.
                  Originally posted by JohnJohn
                  He's a tall crazy tatted up ex trash band guitar player from Vancouver .
                  Think of an unarmed Lucid covered in ink.

Comment

updated link to include an EMG 81. the EQ would need to be changed around a lot for the 81 to sound good, but damn is it tight as hell. 18v, btw.

Comment

Originally posted by astrozombie View Post
                      wow, you guys are referring to the 500t as a good pickup. seriously?
                      The 500t is one of my favorite pickups. I play the blues and it has all that grit... whew!... so no bad mouthing astro.

grrr....
                      Originally posted by Good Will Hunting
                      Real loss is only possible when you love something more than you love yourself.

Comment

Since you added the EMG i'll give my thoughts on that.. Emg had a nice tight sound, but was a bit thin on the recording compared to the others... BUT as you said that could be fixed with EQ.
                        1975 Fender Stratocaster W/ Floyd Rose + mods
                        2001 Gibson Les Paul Studio w/Floyd Rose, Scalloped neck, EMG 81/85 Combo
                        Marshall FJA Signature modded JMP 1979 50 watt
                        Marshall JVM205H
                        Marshall 1960AX cabinet(w/ 2 V30's & 2 G12M Greenbacks)
                        Empty(unloaded)Laney 2x12
                        + a bunch of pedals

Comment

that JB in the explorer sounds great

Comment

From Soundclick:
                            "Had a nice buzz going when I recorded this, so the playing isn't as tight as it should be. But whatever. JB in Gibson Explorer, 500T in LTD ex-351, Super D in Edwards FV-140M, EMG81 in LTD viper-300. PODxt 5150 , treadplate cab, Maxon OD-9."

Lemme get this straight... you compared 3 or 4 different pickups, in different guitars???

Too many variables.
                            Originally posted by Jessie's ghost
                            I like having the stop bar all the way down. Sue me. I've got like six dollars.

Comment

I <3 500T's
                              Originally posted by Lucid_Lunatic
                              If you think an Epi is as good as a Gibson, you're probablly not old enough to find the clit yet.

Comment

Working...
                              X