DiMarzio Crunch Lab review.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DiMarzio Crunch Lab review.

I tested the Air Zone for a few rehearsals and while it was a good pickup, it really didn't have what i was looking for.

I decided to go the other direction and try a DiMarzio Crunch Lab. I used it during rehearsal tonight and put it through it's paces. I was using my Silhouette Special and my Bogner 101b.

My drummer's first impression?
    "Holy crap, your rig is LOUD tonight! What are you trying out now?"

In a nutshell: LOUD, smooth, ballsy, punchy, and dynamic.

I'll get the obvious out right away. This is a VERY loud pickup. Not as loud as the JB8, and not uncontrollable but almost. Very high output. I had to switch the amp to 100W mode in order to get a comfortable amount of headroom and then it was still pushing it occasionally.

In spite of it being loud, it's not compressed sounding. It's very dynamic feeling, reacts well to subtle input, and cleans up well. Under full gain it's extremely ballsy and punchy but never loses its tightness. This was especially appreciated during fast alternate picked palm mutes. It has a nice bloom to the sound when playing full or complex chords. It didn't feel hard or stiff or compressed at all... nice and open and very percussive. On both clean and dirty sounds the lows are big and tight, the mids are crisp and articulate, and the highs are defined but not shrill. Good balanced sound with a slight emphasis on the mids.

I installed it with the bar next to the bridge, where it's supposed to be a little brighter and better for drop tunings. With the bar forward towards the neck it's supposed to be smoother and a little louder. I don't know if I could handle it the other way, as it's already a beast this way! I set the pickup height about where I'd normally have it for something like a JB and had to back it off quite a bit. This pickup is very sensitive to how close it is to the strings as well. I tweaked it until I found the sweet spot for it.

I usually don't go for ceramic magnet pickups but this one really has me impressed. I might try an A8 in it for good measure. I think I'll keep this around a bit and see how it goes.

Re: DiMarzio Crunch Lab review.

sounds like you've found one that you're happy with, at least for now
    ; ]

nice review man

Comment

It's definitely a cool pickup that's got a lot going for it. We'll see what happens after the honeymoon period wears off.

I had a D-Sonic in another guitar briefly and the Crunch Lab is basically just Petrucci's signature version of that. I remember liking the DSonic well enough, but the Crunch Lab basically fixes the only two issues I had with the D Sonic. The Crunch Lab is warmer and feels more lively under your fingers.

Comment

from what you've written it seems it'd be a great option for a versatile HB guitar to gig with; anything it didn't do too well?

Comment

Yeah I love the Crunch labs..

Just installed it into my Ibanez J Custom rg Paint2

and I got another set being installed on another Ibanez. Crunch lab at bridge and liquifire at neck

Comment

^Holy cow, that Ibby is amazing!

Comment

yes, it's very... festive

Comment

Originally posted by dr. ad View Post
                from what you've written it seems it'd be a great option for a versatile HB guitar to gig with; anything it didn't do too well?
                I only had two concerns. One is that it is a tad on the loud side for what I like, and you can't back it off the strings TOO much to reduce volume or you'll lose that grind from the strings that makes it sound mean enough. But like I said is that I played with the height very carefully until I found the sweet spot.

The other is that wiring it the standard way give you the blade coil when you split the pickup, and it's a little too bright even for a split tone. I plan on rewiring it so that the screw coil is the one active for a split.

Overall my first impression is that this is a great pickup for hard rock and metal. It is not a quiet pickup, though. It's smooth but very muscular sounding.

Originally posted by ibanezfreak777 View Post

and I got another set being installed on another Ibanez. Crunch lab at bridge and liquifire at neck
                That looks neat... like the guitar was being looked at through an infrared scope or something. Great stuff!

Comment

Interesting.
                  I wonder if a Crunch Lab, albeit in 7 string form, would be a cool replacement for my Blaze Bridge pickup in my Ibanez RG1527

Comment

Originally posted by Petrovsk Mizinski View Post
                    Interesting.
                    I wonder if a Crunch Lab, albeit in 7 string form, would be a cool replacement for my Blaze Bridge pickup in my Ibanez RG1527
                    I found this video while I was researching the Crunch Lab... hope it helps.

Comment

Originally posted by grumptruck
                      Yeah petrucci's tone on the newer album is amazing.

Your guitar is alder right?
                      Yep, it's alder with a maple neck and a rosewood fretboard.

Comment

Originally posted by Petrovsk Mizinski View Post
                        ^Holy cow, that Ibby is amazing!
                        +1

Never seen one before, and now that I have i'm jealous.

Comment

Dimarzio and dynamic in the same sentence without "is not" in the middle?

I'll have to try one...
                          Originally posted by jcthejester13
                          Some musicians are good, and some are not so good. Some musicians use guitars, and some don't use guitars. The end.

Comment

Originally posted by ibanezfreak777 View Post

The coolest RG I have ever seen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                            http://www.arkamps.com

Comment

Yeah those RG's are J Customs and is a factory product. They arnt custom made. They are hand painted by some Japanese artist at the request of Ibanez and only 18 of these world wide, and I got one of each blue and red.

they were built with the other as a matching set. hot and Cold..

Cool aye :P

Comment

Working...
                              X