Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: DiMarzio Crunch Lab review.

Originally posted by B2D View Post
    I used both with the bar towards the bridge, so i can make an apples-to-apples comparison on this one.

Compared to the D-Sonic, the Crunch Lab is louder, warmer, and has more depth to the sound. It feels a little more "alive" than the D-Sonic did, if that makes any sense.

I like the D-Sonic as well. I just like the CL more.
    Good info! Makes sense. I tried a Dsonic in one of the guitars they come in and I couldnt figure all the hype the pup was getting.. I thought it was very bland. So, this post was very helpful
    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Originally posted by nienturi View Post
      Great review Mr.Raptor

Can you please compare Air Norton with Liquifire and CrunchLab with Steves Special, if you tried?
      In my opinion, the Liquifire and the Air Norton have a lot in common tone wise, but I think the liquifire is a bit smoother (in lack of a better way to decribe it..)
      The pick attack also seems to be less pronounced.
      I kinda get the feeling that the Liquifire is a little less "modern" sounding than the Air Norton, but that might just be me

The CrunchLab has quite a bit more mids than the Steve's Special.
      The SS is more scooped sounding, and it's a lot less aggressive than the CrunchLab.
      Because the SS has less mids, it's seems that harmonics don't stand out as much. The CL has better harmonics, but I don't think it's anywhere near say, a JB or a FRED.
      The gift of death metal does not smile on the good looking

Comment

Originally posted by B2D View Post
        I used both with the bar towards the bridge, so i can make an apples-to-apples comparison on this one.

Compared to the D-Sonic, the Crunch Lab is louder, warmer, and has more depth to the sound. It feels a little more "alive" than the D-Sonic did, if that makes any sense.

I like the D-Sonic as well. I just like the CL more.
        What are the mids like on both? More low or highs? Which is overall brighter? Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Gplayerzzz View Post
          What are the mids like on both? More low or highs? Which is overall brighter? Thanks.
          The CL has more pronounced mids. In the DSonic, the mids are a bit more neutral - more evenly lined up with the lows and highs. The DSonic struck me as a very even-sounding pickup overall with a good amount of everything. The DSonic overall is brighter, but only because the CL is fatter.

Comment

Thanks. I take it the CL is more open sounding, with more dynamics. But both are pretty open sounding right?

Comment

Great to hear. I was wondering about the Crunchlab myself. I have a lot of faith in Dimarzio pickups. They never let me down. One thing I really like about this forum is that people can have open and informed discussions about various brands of pickups. Even though I like SD pickups a lot I dont want to be married to them only.

What I want to know about the Crunchlab now is how well does it do with midgain tones and if the harmonics come off as easily as the Super distortion. How does it fare in that respect?

Comment

I'm pulling out my Full Shred set...and installing a CL/LF combo tonight. Report back soon...
                Gear:
                -Caparison TAT Frozen Sky
                -Ibanez RG550 Heather Blue w/Maple board
                Amps:
                -Engl Screamer
                -Peavey XXX
                Cabinet
                -VHT FB 4x12
                Effects:
                -TS-9 w/chaos mod, MXR 10 band, ISP Decimator, PW Tuner

Comment

I enjoy Dungenuss with a fresh Asparagus salad, or King with a hot bowl of Clam chowder...wait..oh sorry, my bad, I thought you said "Lunch Crab".
                  "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

Originally posted by Gplayerzzz View Post
                    Thanks. I take it the CL is more open sounding, with more dynamics. But both are pretty open sounding right?
                    Yeah, the CL is more open and dynamic out of the two.

Comment

Thanks man. I found the X2N to be pretty even sounding, except for the extra treble. I want something like that, but with less output. The D sonic sounds like it might work for me.

Comment

Originally posted by mustaine-who? View Post
                        i'm pulling out my full shred set...and installing a cl/lf combo tonight. Report back soon...
                        well??????????????
                        Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Cool review, thanks. Is it only suited for that type of gainy, heavier stuff?
                          Do YOU get ToneWoodys? Then go to WoodyTone.com!

And check out my NEW blog too: AmpGAS!

Popular WoodyTone blog posts:
                          > Is the New EVH Pickup ‘the’ Pickup? Sorta!
                          > Review: EVH Frankie Pickup Worth Every Penny

Comment

Originally posted by WoodyTone View Post
                            Cool review, thanks. Is it only suited for that type of gainy, heavier stuff?
                            This seems to be a recurring question here.

I personally haven't spent enough time with it on lower gain settings. Given how nice it was at higher gain settings, I can't imagine it sounding bad with less.

Another member that posted in this thread reported good things in low/mid gain territory, his reply is probably back a few posts.

Comment

Arise, thread!!

So just FYI after I took that Afwayu out of my guitar I reinstalled the pickguard with the Air Norton/Crunch Lab set in it and put the CL in so that the bar is now facing the neck instead of the bridge.

It pretty much does what DiMarzio says it does that way... it's louder and fatter that way. The mids get bumped up a bit but interestingly enough not in a way that's annoying, it's just fatter and it seems to "speak" a bit more, so to speak. It's also more resonant this way. Palm mutes on low chords through a loud amp results in a woofy thump that you can feel in your chest. It's just as tight - perhaps even a little tighter - this way as well. The response is somewhat faster this way as well, that probably adds to how tight it feels. Not very much louder, but just enough to notice it. Super ballsy.

The only way I can describe it is that with the bar towards the bridge, it's more of a sharper-edged, more cutting snarling tone, whereas the bar forward yields more of a full roar. Two sides of the same killer coin. Both tones are excellent, and work wonderfully with how my Tremoverb is voiced.

Excellent pickup, all around. One of DiMarzio's best, I feel.
                              Last edited by B2D; 07-21-2010, 12:40 AM.

Comment

Im very tempted to try one in my RG570
                                I have a PATB3 in it now and I love that pup cuz it makes the guitar sound big and fat, but Id like to have this guitar have alil more attititude. Something that has more scream....
                                Last edited by BloodRose; 07-22-2010, 09:55 AM.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Working...
                                X