DiMarzio Crunch Lab review.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: DiMarzio Crunch Lab review.

Ok, so you're probably gonna give me a bunch of flack for asking this, but ....

How do you think the CL would work in the bridge of a LP Classic-mohagany body, quilt maple cap, mohagany neck, rosewood fretboard?
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
      Ok, so you're probably gonna give me a bunch of flack for asking this, but ....

How do you think the CL would work in the bridge of a LP Classic-mohagany body, quilt maple cap, mohagany neck, rosewood fretboard?
      This pickup is overall, really hot, very fat and ballsy, and very articulate. The woods of the LP will likely enhance that. Without trying it out it's hard to know. The BFR John Petrucci guitars that music man makes are made of a very similar wood composition, but just about everything else about them is different.

If it were me I'd install it with the bar towards the neck, and then if that's too much after backing the pickup off the strings then flip the bar the other way and see if that helps.

It's a great sounding pickup for heavy rock, so in an LP set up right that would probably pwn face.

Comment

Great reviews here. Does this pickup sound 'modern?" Most Dimarzios with the exception of the lower output PAF types and the SD have a modern twist to the sound, like they are more suited to playing Vai/Satch/Petrucci and not so much 70's/80's sounds.

Comment

That's a crazy looking pickup.

cg
          -Blasphemy is a victimless crime

http://howdovaccinescauseautism.com/

cg

Comment

Originally posted by jimlp View Post
            Great reviews here. Does this pickup sound 'modern?" Most Dimarzios with the exception of the lower output PAF types and the SD have a modern twist to the sound, like they are more suited to playing Vai/Satch/Petrucci and not so much 70's/80's sounds.
            Yep, this is a great pickup but if you're looking for vintage-sounding anything, this ain't the one. That said, it kicks tail.

Comment

Seymour Duncan could learn a thing or two from Dimarzio about naming their pickups. Who can resist the call of the "Crunch Lab"? I'm probably going to put one in my Washburn Idol, just wish I could get one used. I'm guessing that will be difficult.

Edit: I found the only one on ebay, $60! Going into my washburn, review and clips will be posted when I have a chance to install.
              Last edited by Franknfilms; 07-28-2010, 12:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Franknfilms View Post
                Seymour Duncan could learn a thing or two from Dimarzio about naming their pickups. Who can resist the call of the "Crunch Lab"? I'm probably going to put one in my Washburn Idol, just wish I could get one used. I'm guessing that will be difficult.

Edit: I found the only one on ebay, $60! Going into my washburn, review and clips will be posted when I have a chance to install.
                Alright sweet! Let us know how you like it!

Comment

Originally posted by B2D View Post
                  I tested the Air Zone for a few rehearsals and while it was a good pickup, it really didn't have what i was looking for.

I decided to go the other direction and try a DiMarzio Crunch Lab. I used it during rehearsal tonight and put it through it's paces. I was using my Silhouette Special and my Bogner 101b.

My drummer's first impression?
                  "Holy crap, your rig is LOUD tonight! What are you trying out now?"

In a nutshell: LOUD, smooth, ballsy, punchy, and dynamic.

I'll get the obvious out right away. This is a VERY loud pickup. Not as loud as the JB8, and not uncontrollable but almost. Very high output. I had to switch the amp to 100W mode in order to get a comfortable amount of headroom and then it was still pushing it occasionally.

In spite of it being loud, it's not compressed sounding. It's very dynamic feeling, reacts well to subtle input, and cleans up well. Under full gain it's extremely ballsy and punchy but never loses its tightness. This was especially appreciated during fast alternate picked palm mutes. It has a nice bloom to the sound when playing full or complex chords. It didn't feel hard or stiff or compressed at all... nice and open and very percussive. On both clean and dirty sounds the lows are big and tight, the mids are crisp and articulate, and the highs are defined but not shrill. Good balanced sound with a slight emphasis on the mids.

I installed it with the bar next to the bridge, where it's supposed to be a little brighter and better for drop tunings. With the bar forward towards the neck it's supposed to be smoother and a little louder. I don't know if I could handle it the other way, as it's already a beast this way! I set the pickup height about where I'd normally have it for something like a JB and had to back it off quite a bit. This pickup is very sensitive to how close it is to the strings as well. I tweaked it until I found the sweet spot for it.

I usually don't go for ceramic magnet pickups but this one really has me impressed. I might try an A8 in it for good measure. I think I'll keep this around a bit and see how it goes.
                  How is it compared to the DSonic?

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                    My washburn is mahogany body/neck (no maple cap) and rosewood fretboard. When I get the crunchlab installed I'll be sure to report back. I'm pretty sure that I'm going to install blade towards the bridge.

Comment

Originally posted by Franknfilms View Post
                      My washburn is mahogany body/neck (no maple cap) and rosewood fretboard. When I get the crunchlab installed I'll be sure to report back. I'm pretty sure that I'm going to install blade towards the bridge.
                      Well....?

(Looking at his pup now!)

Comment

I installed a CL into my RG550 a few weeks ago (posted a review on here as well) with the bar facing the bridge. I installed a new pickguard over the weekend and switched the bar towards the neck. I like it much better that way. Didn't lose the crunch...but gained more midrange fullness as described above. I'm tuned at D standard...and the PuP just kills. Its everything I wanted the FS to be...and more.
                        Gear:
                        -Caparison TAT Frozen Sky
                        -Ibanez RG550 Heather Blue w/Maple board
                        Amps:
                        -Engl Screamer
                        -Peavey XXX
                        Cabinet
                        -VHT FB 4x12
                        Effects:
                        -TS-9 w/chaos mod, MXR 10 band, ISP Decimator, PW Tuner

Comment

Originally posted by mustaine-who? View Post
                          I installed a CL into my RG550 a few weeks ago (posted a review on here as well) with the bar facing the bridge. I installed a new pickguard over the weekend and switched the bar towards the neck. I like it much better that way. Didn't lose the crunch...but gained more midrange fullness as described above. I'm tuned at D standard...and the PuP just kills. Its everything I wanted the FS to be...and more.

Is it too much/thick in mahogany?

Comment

Originally posted by mustaine-who? View Post

I see in your other review, you make mention of the the PATB3.. I dont know the FS, but do have a PATB3.. How does the CL compare or differ to the 3?
                            From everything Ive heard, the CL sounds great.. I just dont have much luck with Dimarzios, so Im trying to be as sure as I can before coughing up dough I really dont have..
                            thanks!
                            Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Originally posted by BloodRose View Post
                              I see in your other review, you make mention of the the PATB3.. I dont know the FS, but do have a PATB3.. How does the CL compare or differ to the 3?
                              From everything Ive heard, the CL sounds great.. I just dont have much luck with Dimarzios, so Im trying to be as sure as I can before coughing up dough I really dont have..
                              thanks!
                              I have tried all the PATBs in search of a FS killer. Also tried the Demon, Distortion, FS8, and Alt8...and the Dimarzio Steve's Special. Out of all of those I liked the PATB-3 the most...but it just didn't sound modern enough...too PAF-ish. Modern is what I like about the FS. That's the main reason I switched to Dimarzio. And the CL delivered. I highly recommend you try it.
                              Gear:
                              -Caparison TAT Frozen Sky
                              -Ibanez RG550 Heather Blue w/Maple board
                              Amps:
                              -Engl Screamer
                              -Peavey XXX
                              Cabinet
                              -VHT FB 4x12
                              Effects:
                              -TS-9 w/chaos mod, MXR 10 band, ISP Decimator, PW Tuner

Comment

I installed a CL/LF combo in my ash/maple superstrat over the weekend.

Holy crap these things rock...on top of being the most dynamic high output pickup I have ever heard, the CL also has an incredible balance of thick and fat and clear and articulate of any bridge humbucker (except maybe a PAF) I've ever heard. Leads sound huge and vocal, and rhythms sound defined and crunchy.

The LF is equally, if not more awesome...but that's another thread
                                Last edited by oilpit; 10-11-2010, 07:07 PM.
                                Originally posted by jcthejester13
                                Some musicians are good, and some are not so good. Some musicians use guitars, and some don't use guitars. The end.

Comment

Working...
                                X