X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Live - Q&A with Bruce Kulick - 5/11/10

Originally posted by Gearjoneser View Post
    Thanks for hangin out for awhile here, Bruce.

I know it’s not the first time you’ve heard this question, but I was wondering what your thoughts were, regarding Blackjack or what life may have been like if your musical relationship with Michael Bolton had been the direction things had gone.

In a strictly hypothetical scenario, do think he could have remained in the rock world, creating a world renowned rock band with you, or did the right thing happen, where you both parted ways to forge a different path?
    We really had a shot, but I think we were a bit shy of the mark. There were some bands that did it better, but what I learned with Michael was great.
    And obviously he is better as a blue eyed soul singer than David Coverdale type rock singer. Smart move on his part, and he has gone on to be huge.
    It all worked out the way it was supposed to.

Comment

Originally posted by Kam View Post
      you skipped me.
      I can t say that one artist I learned more than others from.
      One I was WAY impressed with was Billy Squier. Smart talented man.

Comment

Why don't you tell us about your involvement with Musician's Institute in Hollywood?
        Evan Skopp, Inside Track International
        Sales and marketing reps for Musopia, Reunion Blues, and Q-Parts.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan Skopp View Post
          Why don't you tell us about your involvement with Musician's Institute in Hollywood?
          MI I feel is great for young musicians or even people who want to engineer etc. There is so much you can learn in their facility and as much as I was never schooled in that way, I do see the value of what they offer.

Comment

Originally posted by grumptruck
            Which pickups are some of your favorite of Seymour Duncan and why?
            The JB has been a favorite of mine for many years. In combination with the 59 in the neck, awesome. But years ago and even currently I love the Duncan Customs, some of the Alnico ones are great, and I even have a set of Livewires in a new Schecter that sounds SWEET.
            So Duncan cover my needs quite well. Also the Vintage Plus Strats from ESP come with Duncan's that sound great.

Comment

Hi Bruce thanks for doing this.

How did you like working with Tim Owens and would you work with him again in the future? I love all the guitar stuff on that album of his (I know Bob did most but I love all you guys contributions)!

http://www.myspace.com/marchofalaric

Comment

Originally posted by BlueSnMettle View Post
                What gauge & brand strings do you use.

Peace,

Darrin
                I use mostly 10's and SIT is the brand I endorse. I have used D'Addario's and Dean Markley's as well.. all good!
                Sometimes a use 9's if the guitar is the type that fights.

Comment

How was it recording your first solo album after 26 years of being a recording professional? Was it odd in any way being purely your music? Was it a collection of ideas from the years finally worked out or was it mostly stuff that came about once you decided to do the solo thing?
                  Originally posted by MikeS
                  a "career" of playing sold-out bedroom shows to the posters on my wall.
                  Originally posted by JB_From_Hell
                  whats becoming of this generation
                  We want to listen to music while we mow the lawn.

Comment

Originally posted by Diocletian View Post
                    Hi Bruce thanks for doing this.

How did you like working with Tim Owens and would you work with him again in the future? I love all the guitar stuff on that album of his (I know Bob did most but I love all you guys contributions)!
                    Tim Owens, you mean RIPPER! Great singer!

Comment

Originally posted by Reload in 5 View Post
                      How was it recording your first solo album after 26 years of being a recording professional? Was it odd in any way being purely your music? Was it a collection of ideas from the years finally worked out or was it mostly stuff that came about once you decided to do the solo thing?
                      Audiodog was my first in 2001. And it was, a learning process. But I really enjoyed it. I started with the ideas on cassettes in the closet, wrote some new things etc etc. Transformer, my second solo CD, was all written in a short period of time. It took many years before BK3.. over 6 years to finish from starting to write the songs to recording and getting it put together with the proper artwork etc. That is a culmination of my best solo work in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Binnerscot View Post
                        Welcome and thanks for joining us!

Have you had to expand your guitar vocabulary to work with the very diverse artists in your resume or did you have to reign in your playing for certain situations?
                        Sometimes I did have to learn new tricks to do the best job. And that is wise for all of us. Keeps you versatile. And then when you do your own thing, you can use what YOU like anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                          thanks for doing this

were you a big kiss fan growing up? what was it like being in one of the most famous bands to ever take the stage? how much liberty did you take with your parts? no offense to ace, but you have chops that he never did.
                          I was aware of KISS but in a different way. I became much more interested when I saw them live in 78. Of course the years in KISS were very special, but I was doing my job, so I didn't really realize how freakin awesome it was at all times if you can understand. Regarding how I played, I worked on doing the signature riffs and made them my own, and added what I liked as well.
                          Gene and Paul were cool with that. With Tommy Thayer who does a great job, I think they wanted him to be "close to the original" for Ace

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce Kulick View Post
                            Audiodog was my first in 2001. And it was, a learning process. But I really enjoyed it. I started with the ideas on cassettes in the closet, wrote some new things etc etc. Transformer, my second solo CD, was all written in a short period of time. It took many years before BK3.. over 6 years to finish from starting to write the songs to recording and getting it put together with the proper artwork etc. That is a culmination of my best solo work in my opinion.
                            OK, since questions seem slow, a follow up.
                            Through the years, how were decisions made about what of your own work would go on band / other artists albums, and what would be kept aside for what ended up being your solo album. Was it purely "keep stuff aside because it doesnt fit the band" or was any of it ideas that you knew you wanted to be hashed out completely as your style, so even if it might have made it with the band you kept it out anyway?
                            Originally posted by MikeS
                            a "career" of playing sold-out bedroom shows to the posters on my wall.
                            Originally posted by JB_From_Hell
                            whats becoming of this generation
                            We want to listen to music while we mow the lawn.

Comment

Originally posted by Reload in 5 View Post
                              OK, since questions seem slow, a follow up.
                              Through the years, how were decisions made about what of your own work would go on band / other artists albums, and what would be kept aside for what ended up being your solo album. Was it purely "keep stuff aside because it doesnt fit the band" or was any of it ideas that you knew you wanted to be hashed out completely as your style, so even if it might have made it with the band you kept it out anyway?
                              All bands have a leader. With Kiss if Gene and/or Paul didn't have an ear for my idea, well of course I saved it. Now working with John Corabi in Union, most of the time he responded to my riffs and the same for me. We are a good team in writing. But correct, if it don't fit save it for your own project.
                              No sense trying to make something fit if it won't.

Comment

Hey Bruce! I'm on an iPhone so I'll get to it:

Favorite solo by prior each Kiss guitarist to play?

Favorite Kulck/Kiss solo?

What solo on anything are you the most proud of?

Best and toughest thing working with Gene and Paul?

What music style/songs/instrument do you dig that would surprise us?
                                Originally posted by Bad City
                                He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Working...
                                X