This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Q&A with Bruce Kulick - 5/11/10

Bruce Kulick has been playing guitar professionally since 1975. He gained first notoriety in 1977 playing dual guitars with his brother Bob on tour with Meat Loaf for the classic Bat Out Of Hell album.

Shortly thereafter, Bruce formed Blackjack with Michael Bolton. After releasing two albums, Blackjack folded and Kulick joined KISS, where he remained as lead guitarist for 12 years, joining the band for the Animalize tour in 1984 and continuing with the band until the 1996 reunion tour. He is heavily featured on KISSOLOGY II and III, the band's DVD's spanning their historic 35 year career.

After leaving KISS in 1997, Bruce formed UNION with John Corabi. UNION released three albums between 1998 and 2000. Bruce and John teamed up with Eric Singer and formed ESP, releasing an album in 1998. Bruce also maintained his connection to KISS, contributing to their Psycho Circus album, the Detroit Rock City soundtrack, and Gene Simmons’ and Paul Stanley’s solo records.

In early 2001, Bruce released his debut solo album, Audio Dog, and followed it in 2003 with Transformer. In 2001, at the invitation of Don Brewer, Bruce joined the legendary Grand Funk Railroad as lead guitarist. Bruce is still touring with GFR and is currently in his 10th year as their lead guitarist.

Through the years Kulick has been involved with session work, producing new artists, instructional DVD's, and music compositions. As a counselor at the "Rock N Roll Fantasy" camps, Bruce has spread the joys of music making. Jamming with legends like Jack Bruce and Roger Daltrey at the camps are experiences that still make him very proud.

Earlier this year, Bruce released BK3. Not one to mind sharing the spotlight with others, Kulick invited several guest artists to appear on BK3, including Gene Simmons, Gene’s son Nick Simmons, John Corabi, Eric Singer, the late Doug Fieger of The Knack, and Steve Lukather of Toto fame.

About BK3, Eddie Trunk of VH1’s “That Metal Show” said, “[It’s] great to hear one of the unsung heroes of KISS stepping out with a bold musical statement of his own” Classic Rock magazine called BK3 “quite a force” and “a well-crafted effort that shows Kulick living up to his full potential as a solo artist. The magazine also named Bruce one of their “Top Six to Watch in 2010.”

Follow these links for Bruce's Facebook and MySpace.

As an added bonus for today's chat, Bruce will give a copy of BK3 to the member who asks the most interesting question: no geographical restrictions.

Seymour Duncan User Group Forum members, please join me in welcoming Bruce Kulick to the Forum!
    Evan Skopp, Inside Track International
    Sales and marketing reps for Musopia, Reunion Blues, and Q-Parts.

Re: Live - Q&A with Bruce Kulick - 5/11/10

Bruce will be here in just a moment. He called to tell me he was walking the dog and he'll be here any second.

Comment

Back from my Dog walk, and Joe my dog sends regards to all!

Comment

Welcome Bruce!

Comment

I know you have a bunch of guitars, Bruce, but if you had to pick one or two as your "main" gigging guitars, which ones would they be?

Comment

Welcome aboard dude!
            Tell us about your current guitar rig

Comment

Originally posted by Evan Skopp View Post
              I know you have a bunch of guitars, Bruce, but if you had to pick one or two as your "main" gigging guitars, which ones would they be?
              For now, I have a few that are excellent for gigging. One is an LTD Viper, white with gold parts...Sometimes my old Vintage plus ESP is an excellent choice and sometimes a chambered LP. It always depends on what kind of gig I am going to do. I really like using more than one, but sometimes you can't.

Comment

Hi Bruce and Welcome,

Just wondering what was the one thing that made you decide
                that the guitar was what you wanted to do. And also, what
                steps did you take from that point to hone your craft.

Peace,

Darrin

Comment

Originally posted by Petrovsk Mizinski View Post
                  Welcome aboard dude!
                  Tell us about your current guitar rig
                  Photos of my pedal board on my site... under equipment. Marshall amps usually 900 or 2000 heads are great for me, and I am a pedal guy.
                  So check out the info on my site
                  kulick.net

Comment

Originally posted by BlueSnMettle View Post
                    Hi Bruce and Welcome,

Just wondering what was the one thing that made you decide
                    that the guitar was what you wanted to do. And also, what
                    steps did you take from that point to hone your craft.

Peace,

Darrin
                    Honestly I was fascinated with the guitar from early on. My brother exposed me to amazing music from the British Invasion, and I will admit it came easy for me, compared to ... sports for example!

Comment

What kind of dog do you have? And how do you feel about cats?
                      I remember calloused hands and paint-stained jeans, and I remember safe-as-houses self-belief.

Comment

Thanks for doing this!

I have a couple of questions

1) Why do you use Duncans?
                        2) Is there any gear that you have gotten rid of that you wish you could get back?
                        Gibson LP Melody Maker -- stock, Epiphone Dot -- Jazz neck and '59 bridge, Fender Telecaster Blackout Deluxe -- stock, 90's MIM Standard Strat with Duncan Texas Hot Custom in the bridge.

Comment

Originally posted by Kam View Post
                          What kind of dog do you have? And how do you feel about cats?
                          I prefer dogs to cats.. but I love animals. Joe found me many years ago, a ****zu mixed terrier with a heck of a personality. The true Audiodog!

Comment

Is there any modern artists/bands who have really caught your attention that you've been listening too lately?

Comment

Originally posted by gripweed View Post
                              Thanks for doing this!

I have a couple of questions

1) Why do you use Duncans?
                              2) Is there any gear that you have gotten rid of that you wish you could get back?
                              1. Consistently excellent products, and I feel that Duncans have that tone I prefer.
                              2. Hard question... I did do a poor trade with a 61 SG Standard that I never should of done!

Comment

Working...
                              X