X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Live - Q&A with Bruce Kulick - 5/11/10

Hey Bruce, thanks for dropping by!

What do you feel most helped you to develop your diverse skill set and therefore longevity (career) on the instrument? Being able to cover so much musical ground with many different artists surely isn't easy...

Or IS it?!

Cheers!
    J. 'Moose' Kahrs
    mixer|producer|recordist
    mooseaudio.bandcamp.com

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire
    All you need to make a record is a mic, some tape and maybe some bad reverb...

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce Kulick View Post
      with your photo, more questions are allowed! and I do love Puerto Rico!
      You were a lead guitarist in a rock band in what I think was one of the only times in recent history where great musicianship was not only encouraged but celebrated greatly. What was that like?

Comment

Originally posted by ratherdashing View Post
        Hey Bruce! Thanks for stopping by. This is really cool so far.

When you're playing a gig, how much of your energy/mind is focused on your playing, and how much is on other things, like your physical stage presence, the audience, the other musicians, etc.?
        It is amazing how many things can go through my mind at a show! Watching the people, adjusting in my mind what pedal move to go to, etc. It really is a multitasking job! You want to entertain, and be great at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by astrozombie View Post
          You were a lead guitarist in a rock band in what I think was one of the only times in recent history where great musicianship was not only encouraged but celebrated greatly. What was that like?
          Which band do you mean? I am not really sure if you mean KISS?
          As you know they didn't get much credit musicianship wise, but actually my version of KISS was very musical.

Comment

Originally posted by J Moose View Post
            Hey Bruce, thanks for dropping by!

What do you feel most helped you to develop your diverse skill set and therefore longevity (career) on the instrument? Being able to cover so much musical ground with many different artists surely isn't easy...

Or IS it?!

Cheers!
            I guess it isn't THAT hard for me, and thank you! But honestly my iPod is so diverse, it is no wonder I can handle different situations. I am rock and funky enough for GFR and metal enough for KISS. All good!

Comment

Welcome aboard Bruce!

Your career has spanned a few decades and a number of musical fads and trends. Classic rock, hair bands, grunge, etc.

Is there a particular period of time you look back on (or perhaps it's now) that you really acknowledge as being the most fun and creative?

Also is there a period you look back on and say "man, I'm glad that fad is over"?

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce Kulick View Post
                I guess it isn't THAT hard for me, and thank you! But honestly my iPod is so diverse, it is no wonder I can handle different situations. I am rock and funky enough for GFR and metal enough for KISS. All good!
                Thanks, but what I getting at was trying to get a handle on what sort of things you studied on the instrument that helped form you to be the player you are today. Was it sitting down with records, which ones? Private lessons? Books? Going outside of the "rock" stuff into other genres like classical, jazz or..?

Thanks agian!
                J. 'Moose' Kahrs
                mixer|producer|recordist
                mooseaudio.bandcamp.com

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire
                All you need to make a record is a mic, some tape and maybe some bad reverb...

Comment

Originally posted by Gamera View Post
                  Welcome aboard Bruce!

Your career has spanned a few decades and a number of musical fads and trends. Classic rock, hair bands, grunge, etc.

Is there a particular period of time you look back on (or perhaps it's now) that you really acknowledge as being the most fun and creative?

Also is there a period you look back on and say "man, I'm glad that fad is over"?
                  Fad wise, Asylum era clothing. I didn't dig the threads then. Revenge was a better look!
                  Actually the work I did on BK3, my new CD is the most creative direction with my guitar work. I also dig something from WAY back in 1974, and I was selling that on my site too a few years ago. Called KKB. BK young and in a progressive band!

Comment

Originally posted by J Moose View Post
                    Thanks, but what I getting at was trying to get a handle on what sort of things you studied on the instrument that helped form you to be the player you are today. Was it sitting down with records, which ones? Private lessons? Books? Going outside of the "rock" stuff into other genres like classical, jazz or..?

Thanks agian!
                    I admit not being a good reader, but I have a good ear. I sat with lots of records, and learned things. I took some private lessons, and I did study with a very progressive Jazz guy for a while a LONG time ago. That opened my mind up to things. Beck in the 70's was doing things I didn't understand. He is a genius no matter, but as soon as I learned an 11th chord or 13th chord some of the things he did stated to make sense to me.

Comment

I'm going to try to sneak in an extra question, hopefully it will turn out to be a good one.

Every touring musician has hilarious/amazing stories from the road. Would you do us the honor of sharing one of yours?
                      Band: www.colouredanimal.com
                      Twitter: www.twitter.com/mrperki
                      Blorg: mrperki.tumblr.com

Read my Seymour Duncan blog posts

Comment

What gauge & brand strings do you use.

Peace,

Darrin

Comment

Who was the Jazz Guy you studied with?
                          Evan Skopp, Inside Track International
                          Sales and marketing reps for Musopia, Reunion Blues, and Q-Parts.

Comment

Originally posted by Kam View Post
                            I'm relieved to know that we're on the same side of the dogs/cats debate. I don't trust cat people at all.

Anyway, if we're allowed more than one question...You've worked with an impressive and very talented bunch of artists over the years. Who do you think you had the best chemistry with? I don't mean who was the nicest guy to hang out with, I mean who do you think really inspired you and brought out the best playing from you?

Thanks for doing this, by the way.
                            you skipped me.
                            I remember calloused hands and paint-stained jeans, and I remember safe-as-houses self-belief.

Comment

Thanks for hangin out for awhile here, Bruce.

I know it’s not the first time you’ve heard this question, but I was wondering what your thoughts were, regarding Blackjack or what life may have been like if your musical relationship with Michael Bolton had been the direction things had gone.

In a strictly hypothetical scenario, do think he could have remained in the rock world, creating a world renowned rock band with you, or did the right thing happen, where you both parted ways to forge a different path?
                              Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                              I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by ratherdashing View Post
                                I'm going to try to sneak in an extra question, hopefully it will turn out to be a good one.

Every touring musician has hilarious/amazing stories from the road. Would you do us the honor of sharing one of yours?
                                Well.. I walked into Gene doing it in my tuning room! UGH!

Comment

Working...
                                X