No announcement yet.

Good bridge pickup for Jackson RR1 ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Good bridge pickup for Jackson RR1 ?

Originally posted by PHILBERT View Post
    UPDATE: Thanks to those who have given me the courage to try something I would not normally have done, I FIXED my Jackson RR1 bridge pickup problem.

The Alternate 8 had a hole in the mids that just did not work for me. Punch yes, but not tone...and no thunder. NFG! I had a few pickups around that were not in use, and only two pickups with trem spacing (JB at 14K and now the Alt 8 with 16K), so which one would I swap out the magnet on?

After all this talk about different magnets and their sonic tone qualities, I decided a ceramic was what I needed. I had an old Duncan Distortion to cannibalize, now that ESP has the awesome EVH Frankenstein in it, and I took the magnet from it. I decided the JB with a ceramic magnet might be just what I needed. BINGO! We have a winner! This is that classic "buzzsaw" hot 80's metal sound. Perfect as soon as I played it. I didn't even adjust the pickup height yet, and it sounds fantastic.

JB + ceramic = 80's metal!

PS - So is a JB with a ceramic just a Duncan Custom?
    JB + Ceramic from Duncan Distortion = Duncan Distortion.

Sorry.

Director of Arizona Young Voters Initiative

https://www.azyoungvoters.org

Twitter:
    @ArizonaVoters

Comment

Originally posted by dominus View Post
      JB + Ceramic from Duncan Distortion = Duncan Distortion.

Sorry.
      No...sorry...it is not the same. I used that Duncon Distortion for 23 years, and it never had that much gain. Not even close. Good pickup, but not that good. The JB coils must have something different going on. This ceramic JB is ungodly hot with the perfect metal tone. Slices to the bone! No way it is the same.

And why are you sorry? I'm happy!

EDIT: Even if it is the same winding, I needed a trem version. My other was non-trem. It does sound different and much louder though.
      Last edited by PHILBERT; 07-04-2010, 07:27 PM.

Comment

Hmm. I'd always heard the Distortion and JB were the same pickup with different magnets.

Maybe it's the "old" vs "new"? Maybe the coils of the DD, having been used for so long, have settled into a given "voice" as the wax melts and resets (however minimal) from body, storage, and stage heat, thus slightly constricting the coils.

Or maybe it's the trem-spacing vs regular spacing?
        Originally posted by Brown Note
        I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
        My Blog

Comment

No...sorry...it is not the same. I used that Duncon Distortion for 23 years, and it never had that much gain. Not even close. Good pickup, but not that good. The JB coils must have something different going on. This ceramic JB is ungodly hot with the perfect metal tone. Slices to the bone! No way it is the same.

And why are you sorry? I'm happy!

EDIT: Even if it is the same winding, I needed a trem version. My other was non-trem. It does sound different and much louder though.
          Glad you found your sound (for now, it never ends).

The JB with a ceramic magnet is sometimes called a Distortion Light. The coils of the JB and DD are the same, but the DD uses an oversized ceramic magnet. A standard ceramic in the JB will give you similar tone, it is not as hot as a DD...
          Originally posted by LesStrat
          Of course, I lack the requisite intellectual capacity to engage in a theoretical discourse regarding the sociological and ethical implications of the absurd and incongruous concept of personal ownership of firearms and the ridiculous supposition that humans are capable of responsibly using said weapons.

Comment

Originally posted by DrNewcenstein View Post
            Hmm. I'd always heard the Distortion and JB were the same pickup with different magnets.

Maybe it's the "old" vs "new"? Maybe the coils of the DD, having been used for so long, have settled into a given "voice" as the wax melts and resets (however minimal) from body, storage, and stage heat, thus slightly constricting the coils.

Or maybe the original Distortion was defective or out of spec? If it was underwound, or had a partial short or was wired out of phase with itself, it could sound really weak and thin.

It's also possible he lucked into a particularly overwound JB, which to a lot of tastes will sound better (both with stock magnet and ceramic).

I'd still go for a PATB-2, myself, given the Floyd. Hotter, warmer, more low mids/bass, more harmonics, but a hair less bite. But I can see not bothering to swap if you're already happy!

Comment

Originally posted by DrNewcenstein View Post

Yeah...I'm wondering all this myself. I keep trying to justify it. Could it be? The magnet is old, but that part is not the question. Trem spacing...maybe. More wire? I did loose some wax, but did the hair dryer thing to try and recover the wax bonding. ???

The old DD on my ESP was not quite as close as this modded JB on the RR1, but at one time it was as close as I could get on the top end because the non-trem poles were missing the 1st string...and I was looking for VH gain. But as soon as I put this modded JB into the RR1, and played it as low as I could get it, it just smashed the front end of my amp harder than anything I have heard. I mean it really jumped out with mega-gain. I lowered the pickup as low as I could get it. The wires from the other pickup and output jack are under the short legs of the modded JB, so I can't get it any lower. It is close to the strings (closer than I usually like), but not too close. Both guitars are maple neck through alder...but the ESP is a louder chunk of wood, and more resonant.

Got me...I can't explain it. Louder than a MoFo though! Funny...I usually use a compressor/boost for extra "kick" when I want high-gain on my other guitars. No need for that with this monster! It has more gain than my 500T loaded V with the boost!!! I'm just happy with the tone. I might see if I can move the wires below the pickup out of the way so I can drop it some more. It is a bit too much gain. Gee...I never thought I would say that...too much gain?

Comment

Originally posted by Binnerscot View Post
                Glad you found your sound (for now, it never ends).

The JB with a ceramic magnet is sometimes called a Distortion Light. The coils of the JB and DD are the same, but the DD uses an oversized ceramic magnet. A standard ceramic in the JB will give you similar tone, it is not as hot as a DD...
                Thanks. I'm just glad I found it too...and didn't have to spend any more money trying pickups. Now I have an extra alt 8 hanging around. I might sell it.

Comment

guitars. No need for that with this monster! It has more gain than my 500T loaded V with the boost!!! I'm just happy with the tone. I might see if I can move the wires below the pickup out of the way so I can drop it some more. It is a bit too much gain. Gee...I never thought I would say that...too much gain?
                  Apparently you missed my earlier post. The JB with a ceramic magnet is not as hot as a DD, what you are experiencing is the difference in dynamics.

The JB with a ceramic magnet will not be as compressed as a DD because it has less output, that will make it appear louder/hotter.
                  Of course, I lack the requisite intellectual capacity to engage in a theoretical discourse regarding the sociological and ethical implications of the absurd and incongruous concept of personal ownership of firearms and the ridiculous supposition that humans are capable of responsibly using said weapons.

Comment

Apparently you missed my earlier post. The JB with a ceramic magnet is not as hot as a DD, what you are experiencing is the difference in dynamics.

The JB with a ceramic magnet will not be as compressed as a DD because it has less output, that will make it appear louder/hotter.
                    Apparently you missed his earlier post when he said he took the ceramic from a DD.

Twitter:
                    @ArizonaVoters

Comment

Originally posted by Despair View Post
                      Or maybe the original Distortion was defective or out of spec? If it was underwound, or had a partial short or was wired out of phase with itself, it could sound really weak and thin.

It's also possible he lucked into a particularly overwound JB, which to a lot of tastes will sound better (both with stock magnet and ceramic).

I'd still go for a PATB-2, myself, given the Floyd. Hotter, warmer, more low mids/bass, more harmonics, but a hair less bite. But I can see not bothering to swap if you're already happy!
                      Yes, I thought of damage too. The very first DD I had in the ESP did that. This was the 2nd one I put in around '88. When I took the DD out of the ESP (with the strings on and the Floyd held down with a block) I thought I might have snagged it on a string. I checked the resistence the other day when I also checked the new Alt 8 and new EVH. It checked out good on the old DD with no breaks.

Got me! But it is "that" tone I was looking for. Not as deep sounding as it was on the ESP with the old DD, but this is a different guitar. I like it much better in the RR1. Whatever...it works!

Comment

Apparently you missed his earlier post when he said he took the ceramic from a DD.
                        I guess I did, even though I read the whole thread....still on my first cup of coffee.

I would then attribute the tonal difference between the two to the placebo effect.

Comment

I guess I did, even though I read the whole thread....still on my first cup of coffee.

I would then attribute the tonal difference between the two to the placebo effect.
                          No...it ain't that. It really is different. Knight and Day. I know these are different guitars, but the whole dynamic response is different. The original DD sounded scooped a bit. Harder...Not a midrange crunch machine like this modded JB. Very different tone and gain structure.

Let me ask a practical question at this point...where did the information saying the DD is a JB with a ceramic magnet come from?

Comment

I think he could be hearing the difference between a standard spaced humbucker and a trembucker, and may want to check the pot values in both guitars, as well as configuration. (Tone pots, or the lack thereof.)

Twitter:
                            @ArizonaVoters

Comment

I think he could be hearing the difference between a standard spaced humbucker and a trembucker, and may want to check the pot values in both guitars, as well as configuration. (Tone pots, or the lack thereof.)
                              CTS 500K (checked and very close) for volume. The ESP is also 500K. I do my own wiring and mess with all that stuff. I have had bad pots in other guitars and changed them to CTS.

Oh...and my tones are changed out to 500K pull-pots as well. Some of those come in under 500K.

One thing I can say is that rolling the volume back tends to make it brighter. Then I have to use some top-end rolloff (tone control). Single coil tone is bright. Manageable...but not as nice as the Alt 8 in split mode. Then again, it's not a Strat guitar.

Comment

Working...
                              X