• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: $500 for tube

I got this one
    it was 450 when I got it, now like 650

the single speaker version is 550
    either are just way too loud for home use ( 50 watt )

now this one is bout right for the garage or family den
    and is only 370
    the Vintage 16

the Carvin tweeds do the cleans real well and take pedals nicely
    Last edited by ehdwuld; 07-19-2010, 08:14 AM. Reason: hmmmmm wonder what happened to the images????
    EHD
    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

the night train is definitely not for metal. What is is for is british blues-rock. the flabbiness in the low end really works with a woman tone.

Comment

I think there might be some SS diode clipping going on in the preamp, but for around that price I really liked the Blackstar HT-5 mini stack. It's the only small, low-wattage amp I've ever played through that really did have a similar feel and response to a big, hi-wattage tube rig.
        -Adam

Hear or Follow my music:

Comment

Originally posted by sosomething View Post
          I think there might be some SS diode clipping going on in the preamp, but for around that price I really liked the Blackstar HT-5 mini stack. It's the only small, low-wattage amp I've ever played through that really did have a similar feel and response to a big, hi-wattage tube rig.
          I agree. According to a schematic I found online, there is diode clipping happening, but it still feels pretty real. It doesn't clean up as well as some heads, but for the price and features, I think it's a great value. It can get loud (believe it or not) and has unimpressive cleans, but pedals will probably do the trick.

Comment

I agree with erock517 - the Tweaker is a really good choice. I've seen the Tweaker Head & Cab setup here locally used for $500, so that hits your budget straight up. If you already have a cabinet of some sort, I've seen just the Tweaker head by itself for $300 used.

While there isn't reverb on the Tweaker, you can always pickup a Boss RV pedal, Line6, or whatever else you can find used and run it through the fx loop or if it's an OD, straight into the front of the amp. I think a good overdrive pedal through the Tweaker would be absolutely deadly. Maybe a Tubescreamer or a Fulldrive 2? There are so many overdrives and distortions now, it's kinda equal parts ridiculous and cool at the same time as there are so many choices.

Comment

Originally posted by misterwhizzy View Post
              I agree. According to a schematic I found online, there is diode clipping happening, but it still feels pretty real. It doesn't clean up as well as some heads, but for the price and features, I think it's a great value. It can get loud (believe it or not) and has unimpressive cleans, but pedals will probably do the trick.
              It ain't about the cleans with that thing, anyway. I'm used to playing stuff from Splawn, Orange, VHT/Fryette, Bogner, Mesa, etc. and that crazy little mini stack felt right to me. That's a major achievement.

Lots of different flavors of good OD and distortion from that box. I was majorly impressed. I'm gonna buy one I think.
              -Adam

Hear or Follow my music:

Comment

Simple, decent first tube amp for less than $500? Ampeg Jet re-issue.

Volume, tone and controls for reverb and tremolo. Starts to overdrive around 3 on the dial, and gets positively crunchy by 5.
                - Tom

Originally posted by Frankly
                Some people make the wine. Some people drink the wine. And some people sniff the cork and wonder what might have been.
                The Eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn of the Crow.

Comment

Originally posted by sosomething View Post
                  It ain't about the cleans with that thing, anyway. I'm used to playing stuff from Splawn, Orange, VHT/Fryette, Bogner, Mesa, etc. and that crazy little mini stack felt right to me. That's a major achievement.
                  Completely true. I very rarely use the clean channel. The distortion side is what that amp's all about.

Lots of different flavors of good OD and distortion from that box. I was majorly impressed. I'm gonna buy one I think.
                  Go for it. It's cheap enough that it's an expensive toy if that's what you want. It can also be useful for recording, but you wouldn't know anything about recording anyway, would you?

Comment

Working...
                  X