X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: LIVE - Guest Luthier Series - Grover Jackson

Thank you for you time Mr Jackson.

Was there a specific point when you knew that the guitars you were making were going to be a huge success?

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it's a plan!

Comment

Oh, and how was it working with randy rhoads?
      PICKUPS ARE THE MAIN INGREDIENT TO MAKING AN ELECTRIC GUITAR.
      I KNOW YOU DIDN'T KNOW THAT.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackson Distortion View Post
        You are too awesome to grant this interview Mr. Jackson... thank you.

How old were you when you first started playing guitar?

How do you feel having had such a strict focus on producing the finest guitar parts available, and having that translate into one the most enduring brands of all time in Jackson guitars?
        Ok, where's the alchoholic beverages...we're in it now...

I came to California in 1973 and spent about a year and a half trying to get something going. Eventually I went back down south and played with my old band again. In '75 I came back to CA and worked at the Anvil Case Co. as the 'the pro dude'. The rest is a blur. btw I got my first guitar in 1961.
        Founder, Jackson Guitars

Facebook Fan Page
        http://www.facebook.com/GroverJackson

Jackson Guitar Palace
        http://jacksonguitarpalace.com

Jackson/Charvel Forum
        http://www.jcfonline.com

Comment

I do I do!!!

First of all, it is a great joy to have you here with us Mr. Jackson!

My original question was actually already asked by Binnerscot so I'll just have to move one to one of a more personal interest.
          Over the years I have seen and played many a Jackson guitar. However it was not one but two of what is better known here as "Grover Jackson era Washburns" that got to get added in my modest collection. Specifically a beautiful red 1994(?) MG-122 and a blue 1995(?) MG-100 (the question marks are because their serials start with 94 and 95 respectively, am I right to assume that's the year of manufacture?).

Now I love Jacksons and I LOVE these guitars (especially the MG-122) but I don't find all that many resemblances between the two.
          Do you think you could tell us a little bit about what went into designing and building them?

Also, the (earlier?) red MG-122 has many differences to the (later?) MG-100, specifically a completely different neck profile, bigger frets and no string tree but rather hand-milled shims between the back of the headstock and the the three high strings' tuners so as to stagger them.
          Do you remember how the design evolved?

Also, a question for you.
          You may very well be credited for giving the guitar world more now-famous guitar designs than any other, which guitar (either of the ones that were born from you or otherwise) would be your personal favorite and why would that be.
          It's ok if you don't have one as well as having more than one.

Again, thank you so much for doing this and for giving us guitarists all that you have.
          I think I speak for everyone here when I say that we'd love to have you here even after this interview is in the past!
          Originally posted by Blue_Fingers_Jay
          I prefer cheaper guitars, nothing is as cool as a cheap guitar that sounds awesome.
          Originally posted by That90'sGuy
          Not all guitars are created equal, so make sure it sings and if it does, you'd be silly to pass it up.

Comment

Grover, thanks for doing this. It's an honor to have such an influential person in our forums.

Anyway, Dean Zelinsky recently left Dean Guitars to start a new company (DBZ Guitars) where he'd have full control of design, craftsmanship, sales, etc. Would you ever consider starting a new company where you held the reigns on a day-to-day basis and could produce whatever you wanted? Perhaps this is already the case and I'm just in the dark.

Comment

Do you still make a lot of guitars, and what are your favorite woods to use (and why?)
              Last edited by Vincent Vespa; 06-30-2010, 02:31 PM.
              Dave Mustaine: How many of you can play guitar?
              Crowd: *screams*
              Dave Mustaine: How many of you can play guitar as well as I do?
              Crowd: *screams*
              Dave Mustaine: YOU LIE!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by stevie_bees View Post
                Thank you for you time Mr Jackson.

Was there a specific point when you knew that the guitars you were making were going to be a huge success?
                The whole thing started so modestly and we were really broke. For the first several years the most important office task in the morning was to call the bank and see what checks we were going to bounce. We had until 2:00 to scrape the dough together and cover the checks. But in the spring of 1982 I remember coming in one morning, before anybody got there, and realizing that there was momentum. I mean it taken on a life of it's own and even though there was still a lot of work to do it wasn't going to fail...that day.
                Founder, Jackson Guitars

Facebook Fan Page

Jackson Guitar Palace

Jackson/Charvel Forum

Comment

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for giving up your time. How was the bagel?

What one style of guitar do you feel you are most associated with?
                  Is it the one you´d most like to be associated with (and if not which would be)?

What´s the single most important requirement for a guitar maker in your opinion?

Comment

Welcome! You were clearly influential in the popularity of the neck-through guitars. Can you describe how the neck-through construction influenced your choice of wood types for the side wings? Was it different than a bolt-on or set-neck, or did you pretty much just go by the same guidelines? Do you have a favorite wood combination for a neck through?

Comment

Mr Jackson,
                      Welcome!! And thank you for sharing your time with us!
                      I have followed the rise of Charvel , Jackson and followed much of your career and have always loved the fruits of your labor!

I especially love the guitars produced during your time with Washburn! I currently have an MG104 and 2 MG130 Steve Salas models that are among my favorite players. Ive had others but had to sell due to family responsibility. Anyhow, these guitars seem to be a well kept secret. Why do you think that is? Is it the Washburn name, or where they not marketed aggressively enough? (I have some of the catalogs from that time describing your contribution)
                      Also, any particular reason compound radius necks were not used on these?
                      And, I once shared an email with Stevie Salas and he said that model was not really as per his wishes. Why was it changed? I happen to LOVE it with being the superstrat shape and shorter scale, set neck. Its close to my favorite.
                      And, not to be greedy of your time, but are there any other insights to that period of your career you'd like to share?? The products were stellar!
                      Evan mentions that your relationship with him started at that time. Perhaps due to the Duncan pickups used?

Thank you again and all the best to you!

Bryan
                      Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Originally posted by cakire82 View Post
                        Welcome to the SDUGF Mr. Jackson. I just wanted to say Thank You! I have no idea what I would be playing if it was not for you. THANK YOU!!!
                        Hey, that's a great quote from Becker. It wasn't that I thought I wouldn't die it's that I thought I was SuperMan. Then I had kids and as Christopher Hitchens says it's our obligation to pass on at some point so the next generation can have their time.
                        Founder, Jackson Guitars

Facebook Fan Page

Jackson Guitar Palace

Jackson/Charvel Forum

Comment

Thank you for your time Mr. Jackson.

Washburn has been associated with Nono Bettencourt for quite a long time, and you've produced quite a few rocking guitars with him, some of them even had Duncan prototype pickups on them as far as I know. Can you tell us about the company's work with him?

If we're at "innovation" - I know that Washburn and Parker guitars are part of the same organization - will we see any unique Parker designs on Washburn models, and vice-versa? is there already some synergy between the two companies?

Comment

this is somewhat mentioned in KeeperOS's post, so you may answer it in your response to that, but here it is anyway-

what is your personal favorite guitar, your go-to guitar that you own and play/enjoy the most?

thanks, and welcome.
                            Originally posted by Aceman
                            It was the age of suave. Men were men, and women were smacked and thrown on the bed and loved it.

Comment

Originally posted by BloodRose View Post
                              Mr Jackson,
                              Welcome!! And thank you for sharing your time with us!
                              I have followed the rise of Charvel , Jackson and followed much of your career and have always loved the fruits of your labor!

I especially love the guitars produced during your time with Washburn! I currently have an MG104 and 2 MG130 Steve Salas models that are among my favorite players. Ive had others but had to sell due to family responsibility. Anyhow, these guitars seem to be a well kept secret. Why do you think that is? Is it the Washburn name, or where they not marketed aggressively enough? (I have some of the catalogs from that time describing your contribution)
                              Also, any particular reason compound radius necks were not used on these?
                              And, I once shared an email with Stevie Salas and he said that model was not really as per his wishes. Why was it changed? I happen to LOVE it with being the superstrat shape and shorter scale, set neck. Its close to my favorite.
                              And, not to be greedy of your time, but are there any other insights to that period of your career you'd like to share?? The products were stellar!
                              Evan mentions that your relationship with him started at that time. Perhaps due to the Duncan pickups used?

Thank you again and all the best to you!

Bryan
                              eek...big topic
                              I am very proud of what we did at Washburn. When I walked in to that factory the morale was so low it was unbelievable. I went into downtown Chicago and bought a pirate flag and hung it over the door. I told the guys not to come back unless they wanted to pirates. We built a really great crew and some fine gutiars for that period of time.

On the other hand there were some corporate restrictions that I just could not overcome...which had a lot to do with me leaving...insert more alcohol here.

As far as artists I would just say that some were a joy to work with and some ...not so much.
                              Founder, Jackson Guitars

Facebook Fan Page

Jackson Guitar Palace

Jackson/Charvel Forum

Comment

Sorry for the second question, but...

Can you tell us how the end of the Charvel strat and tele headstocks came about? Was it a letter from Fender? Did you have to slam the brakes on that headstock design and instantly go with the bird head style?
                                Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                                I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Working...
                                X