Questions about guitar tech

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about guitar tech

So I have a good amount of work to be done on guitars. I have a Jackson that I put in new pick ups, only to find out I have no clue how to wire it together, solder, but I'm trying to sell this after I get the pick ups attached.

With this money, hopefully I can fix my other guitars.

I have a Dean Strat with a broken nut, and I replaced it myself so it's pretty bad. I also wish to install new pick ups in it, and possibly replace one of the tone knobs with a kill switch.

I also have a Jackson Rhoads that has a broken nut that I poorly reinstalled, and needs a set up.

Guitar techs are so expensive and I'm wondering what to do. Most small shops are dicks and try to rip me off. I guess my best bet would be to go with best buy or guitar center.

My friend was saying to find a tech in a ghetto and they don't try to hustle you.

One of my local stores said it would cost 150 dollars to solder 2 pick ups...

What's my best bet?

Thanks

Re: Questions about guitar tech

I would try to find a wiring schematic for your guitar/pickups online, just google it. As far cutting a new nut, that would be best left up to a professional tech, if you don't have one in the area you'll need quite a few nut blanks and some tools(files, etc) to do your own. You'll need more than just one blank because it will probably take a couple to get it just right.

Comment

where are you located?

best buy and guitar center are the last places that i go for good tech work

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
        where are you located?

best buy and guitar center are the last places that i go for good tech work
        East bay area

Comment

how smart are you? how handy are you? do you have the right tools?

to me, the electronics are the easiest part of guitar tech ... if you are patient, methodical, and have a strong enough logical focus, you can learn to do the soldering for pickups, pots, etc ... with web resources (diagrams, youtube, web fora, etc) , it is easier than ever to get pickups installed and wired up properly

for the nut work, you need more skill, more focus, more patience, etc ... but it too is doable if you can focus, take your time, be methodical, etc ...

yeah, $150 for 2 pickups installed is pretty darn near thievery, IMO - if the guy knows what he's doing and it truly ONLY installing 2 pickups (not replacing pots, caps, etc), that isnt even 30 minutes from opening the case to closing it back up in most cases ... *IF* they do a complete setup and it includes the new strings and maybe even the nutwork, then $150 sounds fair ...
          good luck
          t4d
          gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

Working...
          X