This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Q&A with Blues Saraceno 7/29/10

Since he was discovered at the tender age of 16, Blues Saraceno has defined himself both as hard-driving technical shredder and as a musical chameleon who can write and produce in a myriad of musical genres.

Guitar for the Practicing Musician magazine first took notice of Blues after his brief stint with Michael Bolton and Cher. In 1989, the magazine’s sister label, Guitar Recordings, released Blues’ first album, Never Look Back. From that point on, Blues never looked back. At 17, he became “the kid that replaced Clapton” in the reunion of Jack Bruce and Ginger Baker. After that, he released a couple more solo albums and then joined Poison.

Shortly after departing Poison, Blues was recruited by Fox Television to perform on a series of soundtracks and songs for several television shows and films. In 2000, Blues founded Transmission OK. After a short time with the band, he returned to film and television as well as session work.

Blues’ session work has ranged from Ziggy Marley (Dragonfly) to Melissa Etheridge (Lucky) and he has earned a reputation for being a "go-to guy" for many of Los Angeles' top record producers and engineers. Much of his recent success has come in the field of television and film. Blues' television work credits include CBS, NBC, ABC, FOX, Disney, Discovery, UPN, MTV, MTV 2, VH1, USA, TLC, Comedy Central, Telemundo, SCI FI, SPIKE, E! and BRAVO.

Blues has relied on Seymour Duncan pickups throughout his career and was our youngest signature pickup artist. His father Alex is a stompbox and amplifier designer. The SFX-02 Tweak Fuzz is a production version of Alex Saraceno’s Afro Fuzz.

As you can imagine, Blues is a highly in-demand artist with little idle time. However, we were lucky to get him to spend an hour with today. Let's make him feel at home. Ladies and gentlemen, please give a warm welcome to Blues Saraceno!
    Evan Skopp, Inside Track International
    Sales and marketing reps for Musopia, Reunion Blues, and Q-Parts.

Re: LIVE NOW - Q&A with Blues Saraceno 7/29/10

Hey Blues:

Here's a couple of questions from a member who couldn't make it today:

Originally posted by new___blood
    It's been 17 years since you were touring with the band Poison in South America.
    a) Do you have any memories the tour that you want to tell us?
    b) Next year, Poison will be celebrating their 25th Anniversary and they are planning to do a world tour. If they will ask you to join them to play stuff from "Crack a Smile" album, will you join them?
    Evan Skopp, Inside Track International
    Sales and marketing reps for Musopia, Reunion Blues, and Q-Parts.

Comment

how do you like doing tv and soundtrack work compared to albums? artistic freedom come into play at all?

Comment

I pretty much remember it all very well. They were all great memories. Playing in front of hundreds of thousands of people is something you never forget. For part 2, my current schedule with television work really doesn't allow me to take off the time to tour.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
          how do you like doing tv and soundtrack work compared to albums? artistic freedom come into play at all?
          To be honest, I really enjoy it. Artistic freedom definitely comes into play but there are definite guildelines you have to work within. Sometimes by limiting your options, it allows you work a little clearer.

Comment

Hi Blues,
            What is your favorite guitar right now and what kinds of pickups do you have in it? On a side note, I was always jealous of you because we are about the same age and you had already made a name for yourself as a teenager. How much was practice and how much was talent?

Colby

Comment

Thanks for sparing the time on here Blues.

Do you still get the same feeling when you pick up the guitar today as you did when you first started playing, or has your relationship with it changed?

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it's a plan!

Comment

Blues,

What is your favorite guitar/amp combo for recording? Also, do you prefer a different combo for live work?
                My Sound Clips

Comment

Originally posted by wjombat View Post
                  Hi Blues,
                  What is your favorite guitar right now and what kinds of pickups do you have in it? On a side note, I was always jealous of you because we are about the same age and you had already made a name for yourself as a teenager. How much was practice and how much was talent?

Colby
                  My current favorite guitar is the Ernie Ball Music Man Reflex. I just did a video for them that's on the Ernie Ball website. It has to be noted that with any Ernie Ball guitar, the first thing I do is tear out the stock pickups and put in Seymour Duncans. I always tend to favor pickups that are close to PAFs. My current favorite are Pearly Gates.

As to your other question, I would say it was 25% talent, 25% practice, 25% opportunity and 25% pesistence. As a side note, my career has always been about making the best out of whatever shows up.

Comment

Originally posted by stevie_bees View Post
                    Thanks for sparing the time on here Blues.

Do you still get the same feeling when you pick up the guitar today as you did when you first started playing, or has your relationship with it changed?
                    When I'm not working under a deadline: yes. Once the art becomes commerce and deadlines and expectations come into play, it's more about execution.

Comment

Do you feel like you need a hot rodded amp to get your awesome lead tones, or could you get, within reason, the tones you need out of stomboxes and "a clean amp?"

I've always wondered this, for professionals who rely on a beefy, saturated tone, especially.

Is there truly no substitute for a mean amp turned up to 11?

P.S. Your playing is just absolutely fun to listen to --- you're one of the only players in the world where I know whatever I listen to will be FUN. So thanks!

-Hunter
                      my vinyl record collection | updated 11 August 2015

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_H View Post
                        Blues,

What is your favorite guitar/amp combo for recording? Also, do you prefer a different combo for live work?
                        It's a nearly impossible question to answer. For me, there are different tools for every situation. What I would use for drop tune heavy metal is totally different for what I'd use for classic rock.

Definitely different rules apply for live work. It all comes down to this: I need to be loud!

Comment

Originally posted by ImmortalSix View Post
                          Do you feel like you need a hot rodded amp to get your awesome lead tones, or could you get, within reason, the tones you need out of stomboxes and "a clean amp?"

I've always wondered this, for professionals who rely on a beefy, saturated tone, especially.

Is there truly no substitute for a mean amp turned up to 11?

P.S. Your playing is just absolutely fun to listen to --- you're one of the only players in the world where I know whatever I listen to will be FUN. So thanks!

-Hunter
                          I absolutely can get the tones out of a clean amp and stompboxes. That's how my dad started building pedals. I got tired of dragging multiple boutique amps to sessions and I started bringing one amp and a bunch of his different stompboxes depending on what music I had to play that day.

In the studio, there's definitely a substitute to a mean amp turned up to 11. Live, not as much.

The people who have followed my career from the beginning, I take their comments to heart. So I really appreciate when people like you "get it."

Comment

Originally posted by JohnJohn
                            You've long been recognized as a great player and solo artist - did playing with a band known for so many radio hits affect how you approached writing on your own?
                            Definitely! It's almost like "different horses for different courses." You can't deny that one of the reasons I took that job is that I wanted to see music from a fan-based view. It helped me expand my approach.

Comment

OK, who's next? C'mon, let me have it!

Comment

Working...
                              X