• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Well CI: Jesus met the woman at The Well

Thanks to guitfiddle for the torch.

Keep me busy for a few days, ask away!

Theme for this thread:
    Originally posted by krankguitarist
    And I *really* wouldn't lop Affliction and Ed Hardy in the same category. Affliction stuff can have a sense of subtlety to it.

Re: The Well CI: Jesus met the woman at The Well

you've been spotted with some pretty sweet guitars in a recording context earlier this year; care to illuminate?

Comment

what would you say is your biggest musical road block, be it with songwriting, gear, or playing ability?
      Beer me!
      Originally posted by Kam
      ...This machine runs on pr0n.

Comment

If you could go on vacation right now, where would you go?
        I LOVE GUNS, ANIMALS, AND PEOPLE GETTING BUTT-HURT.

Comment

What inspires you? Do you have a particular routine for writing/making music, or do ideas just hit you at random every now and again?
          Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
          This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by dr. ad View Post
            you've been spotted with some pretty sweet guitars in a recording context earlier this year; care to illuminate?
            Oh, is that so?

Let's see, as far as guitars, between mine and the guys from the band, we had a pretty nice selection going

I've got a Telecaster w/ a Highway 1 body, MIM neck, all SD pickups that I got from Butch Snyder off the forums a few years ago as a father's day present for my dad, but he shares with me. It had a Gibson minihum in the neck that I switched out for a Seymourized Mini Humbucker.

I've got an Agile LP-shaped 12-string that I also bought here on the forums from Brent aka gt5litre. I flipped the string arrangement so that the octave string is on the top side, like a rickenbacker, and put in GFS "Memphis Retrotron"s, Alnico II:

I've got a 1993 CIJ Fender Jaguar that I bought from a friend of mine, Brendan Scholz, who happens to be the nephew of Tom Scholz from Boston/Rocktron fame. He works at Cowtown guitars here in town and has always been one of the greatest players/performers/all around star quality dudes in Vegas, in my opinion. You can hear his latest band here: http://www.myspace.com/lydiavance

It had a buzzstop and dimarzio humbuckers in it when I got it, took me a long time to get it where I wanted it. Now it's got a set of nice american jag pickups w/ new pickguard, flatwound .12 strings.

My dad's got a really nice 1993 Guild that's sort of a semi-jumbo, seems like? I like this guitar a lot. Nice and full sounding.

Also have a ~1967 Gretsch Viking. Amazing guitar, it was the top of the line second to the White Falcon, not a very popular model, but I love it. This guitar was given to my family by a friend, Mayf Nutter.

guitars owned by others include a Rickenbacker 360 in Mapleglo, a 1994 limited edition CIJ Fender Jazzmaster (great playing/sounding guitar), a G&L custom ASAT w/bigsby, a Gibson ES-335, and an American standard Strat in Daphne Blue.

You can see more pictures from the session right here
            And I *really* wouldn't lop Affliction and Ed Hardy in the same category. Affliction stuff can have a sense of subtlety to it.

Comment

Originally posted by woemoejack View Post
              what would you say is your biggest musical road block, be it with songwriting, gear, or playing ability?
              Hmm, maybe the sort of minimalism I've been writing with recently.

I'm always thinking what sounds best out of stuff that's coming from me is just one instrument usually playing just a few chords, a small drum beat and a vocal, doing some small loop or pattern that's hypnotic for me for a long period of time.

Playing ability, I just need to play along with some different styles of music and really get my chops up. I know I'd get better/get inspired by doing that. No block to me there except getting around to it, basically.

I definitely am conscious to not let gear roadblock me in any way at all. I purposefully use cheap/broken/toy gear and feel my way around it until something legitimate comes from it. I could get into a groove on any setup, I feel.

Originally posted by Bones View Post
              If you could go on vacation right now, where would you go?
              Tokyo, Buenos Aires, or Rio de Janeiro

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
              What inspires you? Do you have a particular routine for writing/making music, or do ideas just hit you at random every now and again?
              Inspirations are the thing that hits me at random, they're not clear song ideas or anything, but I'll watch a movie or see something in the street and carry around these images or concepts or whatever it may be with me. These inevitably flow into creative processes when I do them.

When I come up with something, it's because I worked on it. I sit down and decide to write a song. Actually, more like I sit down and decide to play and I know I will make a song from it.
              Actual processes change, but what I'm doing right now is that I'll play something on any instrument available to me, get some kind of riff or chords going that either inspire me for a melody or something or they just have a good mojo or sound to it, then I'll record that and loop it, and then just sing over it for a few hours and try to mine that idea for hooks. Then I end up listening and reviewing my hours of work...
              I'll usually get an idea for performance of the piece when I'm recording it, I try to imagine myself in that performance. Hard to explain, maybe?

Here's a random list of things/themes that I think a lot about:
              Technicolor
              Etymology
              Ethics
              Ecstasy
              Electricity
              Witches
              Candy
              Reflection
              Life Cycles
              Vanity
              Machines/mechanics
              Exponents
              Mortality
              Crystal formations/natural-emerging mathematical patterns
              Prosthetic knowledge
              Space travel
              Space missions in general, most specifically and presently Dawn mission; retrospectively on Voyager and Cassini-Huygens.
              Fear
              Optics
              Biology
              Sexual power/consent
              Manta Rays
              Fragrance
              Psychology
              Darkness
              Determinism
              Certainty
              Glamour
              Absurdity
              Humanism
              Interior design
              The gothic and grotesque
              Japanese graphic design, movie posters in particular.
              Self-expression
              Self-awareness
              Perception of time
              Theoretical ecology
              Future of technology
              Sisyphus
              Mythology
              Last edited by RushOfBlood; 10-06-2010, 08:18 AM.

Comment

What is your favorite ice cream flavor?

Is Boise State overrated in the AP rankings for college football?

Comment

Vanilla is tops and I don't know jack about college ball, I am getting pretty interested in actually watching sports now though

Comment

Your taste in music seems eclectic. could you name a few groups you love, 1 per genre?

Comment

Originally posted by RushOfBlood View Post
                      Vanilla is tops and I don't know jack about college ball, I am getting pretty interested in actually watching sports now though
                      Humor me and say they are overrated.

Comment

Originally posted by Bones View Post
                        Humor me and say they are overrated.
                        screw idaho

Comment

Originally posted by RushOfBlood View Post
                          screw idaho
                          YOU MESSED IT UP!

It's not Idaho, it's Boise State!

Anyways, how does the following picture make you feel:

Comment

I just wanted to say that I am having the soup of the day at the moment.

Comment

What brought you to this forum?

Comment

Working...
                              X