Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $1000 Reliable/Work Horse Amp

Hi Guys.
    I need a gigging amp. Something that's going to survive Australian Pubs and Clubs.

Loud Fender Cleans (so probably a Fender) that likes pedals, and can cover Blues -> Blues Rock - > Rock - Hard Rock.

Will mostly be playing Rolling Stones ' stuff through to Pearl Jam Grunge

Pedals i'm ok for (except maybe a wah)

Reverb Would be nice .

Doesn't HAVE to be a Fender and i'm willing to try something that's NOT a Laney.

GO!!!
    Lister: I am your god!
    Cat: ( points at food ) If you're god, turn this into a woman!

Originally posted by Empty Pockets
    i don't want to shoot at a guy holding my Les Paul, but I'd gladly shoot through a Fernandes that I paid $250 for.

Re: $1000 Reliable/Work Horse Amp

For around that price, you should be able to get a used Mesa Express 5:50. 6L6 tubes, so you know you get some good cleans. The drive channel is exceptional, so is the crunch. Built in reverb is awesome, and footswitchable. Great, very versatile, reliable amp.

Go for it dude, they are awesome.
    - Gibson CS ES339 - Gibson Les Paul Trad - Gibson J-200 Standard - Fender Hwy1 Strat - Gibson Captain Kirk Douglas SG - Takamine E-series Acoustic - Fender Blues Deluxe - Fender Excelsior -

Comment

a Fender?
      tele / wolfie
      pittbull 50cl
      greenbacks

Comment

Originally posted by phil_104 View Post
        For around that price, you should be able to get a used Mesa Express 5:50. 6L6 tubes, so you know you get some good cleans. The drive channel is exceptional, so is the crunch. Built in reverb is awesome, and footswitchable. Great, very versatile, reliable amp.

Go for it dude, they are awesome.
        I think you missed the part about him being in Australia
        Good luck finding one of those on the used market here.
        I basically never see them on ebay, and if they were on ebay, I imagine they would be at least $1500.

Comment

Used Hot Rod Deville 212?
          Originally posted by crusty philtrum
          ...Gimme a call when it's time to take 'em out. I don't have a gun, but i have a very sharp pointy stick and enough negativity to take out a small country...
          Originally posted by Securb
          The only blackmachine I care about is sitting in my jeans.

Comment

A hot rod deluxe or deville and a better speaker (or speakers) would get you there pretty well. Those HRDx III's have a great clean and the overdriven normal channel sounds pretty Stones-y w/o any pedals.

A DRRI would kill for that stuff, though. If you need more clean headroom, either swap to a louder speaker or use a lower gain tube in V1 (a 5751 or 12ay7 maybe?). Pedal for the pear jam kinda stuff

Comment

Laney must have been suggested a lot already, ha ha

I don't know too much about Fenders yet like what years and color faceplates do what

but don't they all pretty much just work, and crank? Twins, Deluxe Reverbs, all them Tweed bastards? The 50 or so models in the product suite with either "Jr.", "DeVille", "Blues", and-or "Hot Rod" in their model name?

Dudeman, I would get a blackface Hot Blues Deville Rod Junior Deluxe. It's the only one made after 1962 that has the features and sounds of all the other combinations. If you can find one, get a 1966 model with the the 5g2 circuit.

I'm all on about Dr. Z amps iffin you want to cross-pollenate Fender with rectos and preamps associated with Vox. Handwired and affordable. Can't say from experience yet. Steve Miller and the paisley tele country star guy like them.
              tele / wolfie
              pittbull 50cl
              greenbacks

Comment

I dunno know what they go for down under but I'd look into a SF Fender combo...A Pro Reverb or if you want max loud and clean a Twin Reverb.
                If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

I was looking at a Blues Deluxe and maybe swapping out the speaker
                  Lister: I am your god!
                  Cat: ( points at food ) If you're god, turn this into a woman!

Originally posted by Empty Pockets
                  i don't want to shoot at a guy holding my Les Paul, but I'd gladly shoot through a Fernandes that I paid $250 for.

Comment

easy man...just get a fender hot rod deluxe and put in a sexy speaker
                    "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                    Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

marshall dsl
                      Originally posted by grumptruck
                      No I think James and Dave have that covered. You are obviously rocking way to hard.
                      Originally posted by Gear Used
                      PRS CE 22 (Custom 5 / 59)
                      Gibson Les Paul (Screaming Demon / Pearly Gates)
                      Mesa Stiletto Ace
                      Gurus 5015
                      Mesa Widebody 1X12
                      Pedalboard

Comment

Pretty much any tube fender would work for what you're wanting--BF/early non master volume SF/'65 ri amps if you're wanting the sparkly cleans, '59 bassman RI if you're wanting something a bit middier, or hot rod _____ with new tubes and speaker if you want something sort of in the middle, but with its own thing goin on

Really all it comes down to is wattage. If your mic'd all the time and practice at pretty low volumes a DRRI would fit you perfect. If you need more headroom/volume than that go with something like a super reverb, pro reverb, bandmaster reverb, etc

and if you want the ultimate loud clean go with a twin or dual showman reverb
                        Originally posted by gibson175
                        metal zones are for pussies.

Comment

I'm going to say Rivera They're a great deal in the used market and they are know for their clean channel. I have no idea how plentiful they are there though.

Comment

Deluxe reverb mate!!!
                            Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

"...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

Comment

I say Twin Reverb (Better to have more wattage than not enough IMO). I have seen some go on Ebay used for under 1k.
                              Last edited by GuitarGuy503; 11-16-2010, 01:13 AM.
                              Gibson Les Paul R8 in Ebony
                              Roland Cube 60
                              Mesa Boogie Mini Rectifier Head & Mesa Boogie 2x12 Horizontal Rectifier Cabinet
                              BadCat Unleash V1 Attenuater/Re-amplifier
                              LoopMaster Clean Dirty A/B Looper Switcher
                              Mogami Cables
                              Mooer Candy Toppers
                              Pedals: Mad Professor Silver Spring Reverb, Mad Professor Deep Blue Delay, Neunaber Stereo WET Reverb, Keeley 30ms DoubleTracker, & TC Electronic Polytune.
                              Extras: AmpWedge & Auralex Great Gramma ISO Platform

Comment

Working...
                              X