• Show
Clear All

Re: $1000 Reliable/Work Horse Amp

+2 on the ss
    I Build My own Guitars
    know duncan...know tone
    no duncan...no tone
    Originally posted by Warheart
    First problem right there! letting drummers write lyrics!

Comment

I know it's been said, but I didn't see if someone had given a report as to the cost... But, how much are SF Fenders over there? Here they're WAY under the $1000 mark, but I'm sure it's different down under, just didn't know how much, anyone know. If they're in your price range, a Pro Reverb, Twin, or maybe even a Bandmaster Reverb and cab will be right up your alley... Such great amps! Personally I play a Pro Reverb and it's pretty unbelievable how great it really is at the total price I paid! Good luck in your search!

www.guardiancustoms.com

Comment

^ the only amps mentioned in this thread that this guy's got a hope of picking up for less than 1K is the blues/HR deluxe, a little laney or a peavey classic, and it'll be used.
        silverfaces are closer to 2K; closer to 3K for a blackface that still powers up.
        and you can forget about mesa; the only mesa you'd get here for under a thou is a bottle-rocket or used v-twin.

i just thought of traynors; you could possibly pick up a used one of those and change the speaker for around that money.

EDIT - what area you talking about, viewaskew2k5?
        Last edited by dr. ad; 11-16-2010, 09:01 PM. Reason: Also...

Comment

Originally posted by gibson175 View Post
          ive had screen grid resistors burn out on hand wired point to point fenders (princeton reverb II and a bassman 135). Both nice amps and gigging workhorses. I also used to have a hot rod which was fine - although i did do a couple things to make it more reliable for the same reasons but in terms of reliability theres no issues that any other amp do not suffer from. Amps of all builds and types have things break down fromn time to time. The reasons you hear about ppl complaining that their HRDs have broken down is because there a just so many of these amps around. Its simple a numbers game. Also searching on the fender forum is not gonna get a lot of ppl complaining that their marshall has broken down or that their rivera has gone awol so its really a waste of time. Sure the HR amps use pcb construction....but so do mesa/boogie! Yes they have cheap jack sockets....but they are cheap great sounding amps that are easy to fix/mod/replace parts etc.
          My onlt two honest criticisms of the HR series of fenders (and i have owned and gigged an HRD as well as a BJR) is that the stock speakers are pretty lame and cant handle nice clear treble tones and definitely flab out in the bass end....but any cheap speaker will do that. With a speaker upgrade any of this series of amps is a serious gigging professional musicians rig. My other criticism is the cabinets which are prone to rattle as opposed to the lovely sexy heavy finger jointed pine cabinets of the really expensive amps from fender or even the chunky ply cabinets from some other manufacturers. However....any amp with the sort of cabs that you find in the Hr series will do the same. A heavy finger jointed pine cab will prolly add up to 500 bucks at retail level to the cost of an amp.
          The guy has 1000 aussie to spend....hes not looking for the best sexiest amp in the world...hes after a workhorse for gigging. For 800 aussie he can get aused HRDLX and spend maybe 150 aussie on a Lorantz speaker (wicked sounding top quality australian built speakers) and have some spare change for brand new tubes and have a great sounding pro level amp.
          Sure there are any number of amps out there...but for something that sounds good and fits the budget there is nothing better. 2 channels plus boost and spring reverb as well as any number of websited offering information on tweaking the amp to taste. These amps cant be beat. The only amps in the price range that can compare are the peavey classic 30 or the Laney VC30...both really nice also but they dont really fit his description quite as well. The other one too look at would be a DSL40 combo but the clean sound has nothing to compare withe the fender. FWIW I once plugged into a stock HRD amp when sitting in with a band in a live music night club and the engineer was pissing his pants at the guitar sound - and this guy knows what hes talking about...hes tour manager for peter green as well as Lulo Reinhardt and has been liver mixing bands since the early 80s. Now the guitar tone nerd inside me prefers some more expensive and sexy amps, but its a good example of what works for a live setting. So yeah there are a lot of ppl out there who have strong opinions on these amps, but thats cos these things have becomne pretty well the industry standard these days.
          For 1000 aussie its really a pretty simple choice.
          Dude, I like your posts, but this takes way too much effort to read. I have no idea what I've quoted here. It looks like the Declaration of Independence.

Comment

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe or Evil Twin
            www.enigmaduo.com

Comment

The Super Sonic's will be about 1399 here then up'. Might go to a Laney VC 30 2x12 if i can get one used. I know those amp's like the back of my hand....I was hoping for a fender, but it look's like everyone down here worth their salt won't touch a 'new' one and will only go for the much older or MIA releases.

I have never really been a fan of Marshall Amps.
              Lister: I am your god!
              Cat: ( points at food ) If you're god, turn this into a woman!

Originally posted by Empty Pockets
              i don't want to shoot at a guy holding my Les Paul, but I'd gladly shoot through a Fernandes that I paid $250 for.

Comment

Originally posted by viewaskew2k5 View Post
                I was hoping for a fender, but it look's like everyone down here worth their salt won't touch a 'new' one and will only go for the much older or MIA releases.
                For the record most people that talk down on the hot rods haven't ever owned one, it's just internet bs. Yes I did some mods to my Deville, but even before I did them I could get pretty close to the sound I was after, and the mods by no means changed the natural character of the amp

The first tube amp I got and eventually sold forever ago was a hot rod deluxe, neither of them have had reliability issues. Also I'm pretty sure the new RI models have tube sockets mounted to the board as well. Yes they come with a plastic input jack, but so do a lot of new amps and that's a $15 fix assuming it ever breaks so there you go, plugging into the low gain input for one band practice isn't gonna kill you

All that being said I'd still change the tubes and speaker when you get the chance.
                Originally posted by gibson175
                metal zones are for pussies.

Comment

Originally posted by viewaskew2k5 View Post
                  The Super Sonic's will be about 1399 here then up'. Might go to a Laney VC 30 2x12 if i can get one used. I know those amp's like the back of my hand....I was hoping for a fender, but it look's like everyone down here worth their salt won't touch a 'new' one and will only go for the much older or MIA releases.

I have never really been a fan of Marshall Amps.
                  get a used super sonic then
                  2015 Knaggs Steve Stevens SSC T2
                  Majik Box Doug Aldrich "Rocket Fuel"
                  Majik Box Filthy Lucre

Comment

^ he's talking about the used supersonics...

Comment

Do yourself a favor and contact Nik at Ceriatone.

*** Due to surge of orders, wait time is between forty eight (48) weeks to fifty two (52) weeks, depending on models.
                      Support Code 211 - Stop the bad boys, you know COPS!
                      When we do right nobody remembers when we do wrong nobody forgets!
                      Red Devils - 1% all the way!
                      Screw anyone who post negative crap on my post!
                      Finding out that there really is a lot of traffic on the Highway to Hell, but no waiting line on the Stairway to Heaven.

Comment

Originally posted by gibson175 View Post
                        ive had screen grid resistors burn out on hand wired point to point fenders (princeton reverb II and a bassman 135). Both nice amps and gigging workhorses. I also used to have a hot rod which was fine - although i did do a couple things to make it more reliable for the same reasons but in terms of reliability theres no issues that any other amp do not suffer from. Amps of all builds and types have things break down fromn time to time. The reasons you hear about ppl complaining that their HRDs have broken down is because there a just so many of these amps around. Its simple a numbers game. Also searching on the fender forum is not gonna get a lot of ppl complaining that their marshall has broken down or that their rivera has gone awol so its really a waste of time. Sure the HR amps use pcb construction....but so do mesa/boogie! Yes they have cheap jack sockets....but they are cheap great sounding amps that are easy to fix/mod/replace parts etc.
                        We're not talking about Mesas or Marshals, I'm talking about the HR series amps. I'm not advocating FOR anything, I'm just saying avoid the HRD. I also wasn't bashing PCB amps, I was bashing the design flaw of having the tube sockets soldered directly to the PCB. The more logical method is to run leads from the PCB to the sockets. I have no problem with PCB amps. What I have a problem with are poorly designed amps.

My onlt two honest criticisms of the HR series of fenders (and i have owned and gigged an HRD as well as a BJR) is that the stock speakers are pretty lame and cant handle nice clear treble tones and definitely flab out in the bass end....but any cheap speaker will do that. With a speaker upgrade any of this series of amps is a serious gigging professional musicians rig.
                        I've owned an HR Deville and I agree. Speakers ain't great.

My other criticism is the cabinets which are prone to rattle as opposed to the lovely sexy heavy finger jointed pine cabinets of the really expensive amps from fender or even the chunky ply cabinets from some other manufacturers.
                        This rattle has nothing to do with the cabinet construction and everything to do with tube rattle. These amps are designed with the tubes ridiculously close to the speakers which makes them very prone to developing tube rattle. Eurotubes even sells a specific grade of JJ for HRD amps because of this.

The guy has 1000 aussie to spend....hes not looking for the best sexiest amp in the world...hes after a workhorse for gigging. For 800 aussie he can get aused HRDLX and spend maybe 150 aussie on a Lorantz speaker (wicked sounding top quality australian built speakers) and have some spare change for brand new tubes and have a great sounding pro level amp.
                        Sure there are any number of amps out there...but for something that sounds good and fits the budget there is nothing better. 2 channels plus boost and spring reverb as well as any number of websited offering information on tweaking the amp to taste. These amps cant be beat. The only amps in the price range that can compare are the peavey classic 30 or the Laney VC30...both really nice also but they dont really fit his description quite as well. The other one too look at would be a DSL40 combo but the clean sound has nothing to compare withe the fender. FWIW I once plugged into a stock HRD amp when sitting in with a band in a live music night club and the engineer was pissing his pants at the guitar sound - and this guy knows what hes talking about...hes tour manager for peter green as well as Lulo Reinhardt and has been liver mixing bands since the early 80s. Now the guitar tone nerd inside me prefers some more expensive and sexy amps, but its a good example of what works for a live setting. So yeah there are a lot of ppl out there who have strong opinions on these amps, but thats cos these things have becomne pretty well the industry standard these days.
                        For 1000 aussie its really a pretty simple choice.
                        Funny, cause the Peavey Classic 30 and 50 are in this price range and have exactly the same features of the HR Deluxe and Deville (dual channel, reverb, etc...) except none of the quality and design issues. I didn't say anywhere in my original post that he should go out and buy a hand wired boutique amp. I just said the HRD are prone to issues.

Go find a Peavey Classic series amp - they're great workhorse amps and probably within your budget.

Oh, and to add another possibility, Traynor makes some very good stuff in your price range too. The YCV40 would completely meet your needs.
                        Last edited by Powdered Toast Man; 11-18-2010, 09:16 AM.
                        -
                        My Rolling Stones tribute band: The Main Street Exiles

At the battle of the bands, the loser is always the audience. -Demitri Martin

Comment

Working...
                        X