banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

All you guys with bright LED's in your pedals...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All you guys with bright LED's in your pedals...

Do you have armored eyes or something?
    Seems like every 'boutique' company or modder uses bright blue LED's in their pedals. But they also change the resistor to make it even brighter!
    I tried it in my pedals but eventually raised the resistor values so my brain don't hurt so much when I tweak the knobs... Those suckers are BRIGHT! I think I went nearly blind!
    Yes they are pretty lights but I am missing the point, it's not practical at all and it's even worse on a dark stage yet so many people seem to like it?

Re: All you guys with bright LED's in your pedals...

Ever played outside on a bright summer day?

For what it's worth, I don't really have a problem with LED brightness on any level, whether too bright or too dull. None of mine are even that bright, I don't think.
    I remember calloused hands and paint-stained jeans, and I remember safe-as-houses self-belief.

Comment

I have one that is really bright but I have others that don't have an LED. I'm not bothered...
      Originally posted by Good Will Hunting
      Real loss is only possible when you love something more than you love yourself.

Comment

No eye problems here. My lovepedal kalamazoo has a blue led light. I love it! It looks damn sexy with the chrome chassis.

Comment

I build stompboxes (not professional, in my free time), and have used different colors of bright LED's in them.
          I must agree I can understand Nightburst's concern about them though, when using "standard" resistors with them results in a VERY bright and strong lightoutput.
          When playing in dark surroundings, they can for sure be hindering, if you look towards your pedal when engaging it, it can seriously hinder your sight for a while.
          The only advantage of a LED that bright would be as Kam described, outside on a very bright summer day...

I still use the brighter LED's, but put bigger resistors in front of them so they don't put out as much light as they normaly would, tempering them a bit so they don't get annoying, but still are way more noticeable the regular LED's, so you still get the advantage of a bright LED, but without the annoying features.
          "You can buy muscles (steroïds), but you can't buy "cojones". (quoted: Bas Rutten)

Comment

Hate the ultra-bright LEDs. Particularly the blue ones.
            || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

Blue ultra-brights are indeed one of the most annoying ones (clear/white as well), they are emitting the most lumen I guess, have the strongest light beam sort of speak.
              These were not initialy designed as indicator lights either (the ultra bright LED's) but to be used as lighting devices.
              "You can buy muscles (steroïds), but you can't buy "cojones". (quoted: Bas Rutten)

Comment

Out of my deep love and admiration for John Spina's cool mod to my Boss DS-1's tone, I won't mention how much the bright blue LED annoys me, in this forum.

Ooops . . . . damn . . . .

Comment

The brighter the better......
                  My Sound Clips

Comment

Haha, funny ArtieToo

I think the use of bright LED's in stompboxes was introduced by modder's/boutique builders. Most likely because they can look cool, to kind of seperate them once more from the "regular" pedals. Under the motto:"the more, the better"(in this case the brighter the better) they did not weaken the output of the bright LED's even a bit, making them pretty annoying to me. Try on in a dark smokey pub with just a small limelight one, but don't be surprised if Batman or whoever comes bashing in, cause in an environment like that, it will seem you are shooting some laserbeam to the sky when you engage your pedal.

PS: thanks ArtieToo for helping me out in the far past ongoing some electronical issues!! I'm still grateful for your help! Good to see you are still around!

Comment

I like the bright LED's and also hate them at the same time....On my Swollen Pickle, the Bright Blue LED is nice to look at from far away, and I like the fact that it sorta throws up a weird light on my face while I'm singing, and also blinds me a little bit so I don't have to see the Audience as much....But whenever I have to adjust anything, its annoyingly blinding. I just put my thumb over the light whenever I need to twiddle knobs...

Honestly though, I couldn't care less about having a LED on a pedal at all...its always pretty easy to tell when an effect is on (changes the sound after all)...so I've never really understood the point of having LED's at all.
                      www.experimentsinlowfidelity.com

Originally posted by Aceman
                      I like the cream in there. Don't know why.

Comment

Thank God for bright LEDs. I do, in fact, have armored eyes. It's helped defend from lucky shots more than once.

Comment

I found that putting piece of tap (like black electrical) over the led mellows out the brightness. I don't usually mind it that much. Only when the pedal is so bright that it's nearly impossible to see the knobs while the pedal is engaged. All but one of my five pedals have blue LED's, I think it's a new trend.
                          Gear:
                          Fender '03 CIJ Antigua Strat
                          Epi Dot Natural
                          Partscaster blackie
                          Breedlove Passport Mahogany
                          VOX V845 -> MXR Blue Box -> Boss CS-3 -> MXR Phase 90 -> Paul C. Tim OD -> Fulltone Plimsoul -> Boss CE-3 -> EHX Memory Toy -> SD Deja Vu Delay >
                          Marshall Artist 30 4202 or Bugera V5

I WORK FOR GC, IF YOU NEED A DEAL PM ME!!!

Comment

Have 2 pedals with the bright white/clear LEDs...only play nite gigs and they blind me bad! I tried markers but what worked best was some kandy blue lacquer...it's transparent yet opaque so a few drops/coats and it's nice and dull blue...ahhhhhhhh.

Gibson KS 336, LP Standard, Special and Customs
                            Bogner, Orange, Tech 21 and Fender amps
                            Celestion speakers
                            Duncan, Bare Knuckle, WCR and Gibson pups
                            Too many pedals....

Comment

heck if ya build em just put a "tweaking pot" on the bottom
                              dial in more or less resistance
                              EHD
                              Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                              RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                              SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                              Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                              Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                              Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                              Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                              GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Working...
                              X