This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: LIVE NOW!!! - Q&A with Peter Stroud with Dan Boul

Hi GWIF - if I didn't have the 65's, I'd probably go back to my old Marshall's and Fenders. I've been digging my old Park 75 lately. But I don't think it would be welcomed on my gigs!!

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire View Post
      Hey guys, thanks for doing this!

I was wondering if you guys could tell us what might be coming up for 65 Amps in terms of new models maybe next year with the regular line and the new "Pro" line?

Also, since you are both here a tricky question...besides 65 Amps what kind of amps do you guys prefer...if there were no 65 Amps what would you guys use??? New boutique or vintage oldies either way...
      First, thanks for inventing fire! Love that!

We're releasing the "Empire" at NAMM which is our take on pure and proper old British tone from that famous amp company that I can't say here online. It has 3 exquisitely crafted British voices ranging from mid 60's to early 70's to 80's hot rod in one amp all controllable by a footswitch. I've done a few videos about it on Ustream . . .have a look.

Peter and I have dozen's of ideas for the future amps, just don't have the time to get to them!

Comment

Oh yeah, jeez I dig dozens of amps old and new! Hard to say, all the classics of course, but if I had to choose a "desert island" amp it would be a toss up between my old 64 AC 30 or the 71 50watt Marshall at the shop. . . tough one!

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Stroud View Post
          Hi GWIF - if I didn't have the 65's, I'd probably go back to my old Marshall's and Fenders. I've been digging my old Park 75 lately. But I don't think it would be welcomed on my gigs!!
          Nice! That brings me to another question. I know a lot of playersm Dave Grissom for example have said more than once that having to back off on the volume in recent years is a bad thing in his opinion...since you cover a lot of ground with a lot of differnet gigs and so on, whats your stance on stage volume???
          If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Originally posted by DanBoul View Post
            First, thanks for inventing fire! Love that!

We're releasing the "Empire" at NAMM which is our take on pure and proper old British tone from that famous amp company that I can't say here online. It has 3 exquisitely crafted British voices ranging from mid 60's to early 70's to 80's hot rod in one amp all controllable by a footswitch. I've done a few videos about it on Ustream . . .have a look.

Peter and I have dozen's of ideas for the future amps, just don't have the time to get to them!
            Glad you enjoy the fire!

The Empire sounds like a cool piece, I'll take a look and see what I can find.
            If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Blue Dave - more about lower wattage and getting a good tone. Stage volumes industry wide seem to be a lot lower these days, large part due to use of in-ear monitors and because FOH sound engineers enforce autonomy over stage volume!

GWIF - We have the new Empire due out very soon which we've all been working on together. Our answer to the 'plexi" kinda thing at a volume you can stand in front of. IT totally rocks

Comment

Oh yeah, jeez I dig dozens of amps old and new! Hard to say, all the classics of course, but if I had to choose a "desert island" amp it would be a toss up between my old 64 AC 30 or the 71 50watt Marshall at the shop. . . tough one!
                Thats a nice pair for sure!

Comment

Glad you enjoy the fire!

The Empire sounds like a cool piece, I'll take a look and see what I can find.
                  Look on my Facebook page or 65's Facebook page and also if you search on Ustream it will show up. Don't have a link handy sorry! But let me know if you need help!

Seriously, the fire thing is off the hook! Great job!

Comment

Here is the link to the Empire demo on ustream

End to end video platform for media & enterprises. Live streaming, video hosting, transcoding, monetization, distribution & delivery services for businesses.

Comment

Nice! That brings me to another question. I know a lot of players, Dave Grissom for example have said more than once that having to back off on the volume in recent years is a bad thing in his opinion...since you cover a lot of ground with a lot of different gigs and so on, whats your stance on stage volume???
                      in certain gigs where it applies, I'd love nothing more than to blast away at the stage volumes I prefer. But on the pop gigs I've done in recent years it's just not realistic.

However on my own gig I would take more liberties and put the term "sound reinforcement" back into the equation. ;-) I like feeling the power behind me and the interaction btn guitar and amp that you get standing in front of moving air.

Comment

Look on my Facebook page or 65's Facebook page and also if you search on Ustream it will show up. Don't have a link handy sorry! But let me know if you need help!

Seriously, the fire thing is off the hook! Great job!
                        Well do!

Thanks!

Comment

Hi, guys. Thanks for joining us today. I was very active a few years back on 18Watt.com, at a time when Dan was there a lot, too. Somehow, the result of my involvment was a single 18 Watter clone, while Dan's was 65 Amps. And so it goes.

I've always admired 65's cosmetics; the 2-tone vinyl and especially the vents on top. As a manufacturing engineer, I assume it was fairly expensive to design those vents, and have them fabricated. I've always thought it was a gutsy move on your part to put in that much work (and presumably money) up front.

How did you come up with your enclosure design, and how did you justify the expensive packaging over the typical tolex- or levant-covered box?
                          Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
                          Rich Stevens

"I am using you; am I amusing you?" - Martha Johnson, What People Do For Fun

Comment

in certain gigs where it applies, I'd love nothing more than to blast away at the stage volumes I prefer. But on the pop gigs I've done in recent years it's just not realistic.

However on my own gig I would take more liberties and put the term "sound reinforcement" back into the equation. ;-) I like feeling the power behind me and the interaction btn guitar and amp that you get standing in front of moving air.
                            to elaborate further... The ability of a good sound engineer with today's systems is such that I will always comply with his wishes for stage volume. Digidesign's new mixer essentially is the same as using ProTools with Plugin's on your guitar channels. I've come in on soundchecks and have heard the mix from the previous night blasting over the sound system and my guitar tone has been dialed to the 9's. Knowing that is the case, I will always give our sound engineer what he wants, which is why Dan and I have gone to great lengths to design our amps to have great tone at any volume.

Whenever I feel insecure about how the sound engineer will be handling our stage volumes and tone like in some club scenarios, that's when I'll crank up and rely more on controlling volume levels form the stage and using the PA to reinforce vocals and drums.

Comment

Peter. Do you find a gig supporting a piano to be more challenging than the more comfortable position of playing electric over acoustic guitar? How do you prepare for a more challenging gig like that, where the songwriting is based on piano?
                              Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                              I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

I hear ya...

Speaking of your "own gigs"...any chance of a Peter Stroud solo album anytime???

Comment

Working...
                                X