The Well CXI: with GuitarStv . . . Well here I am

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Well CXI: with GuitarStv . . . Well here I am

My life is an open book . . . whatcha want to hear about?
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Re: The Well CXI: with GuitarStv . . . Well here I am

What do you do for a living?

If you had to make out with one man, who would it be?

Favorite color?

Favorite toppings on a pizza?

Who do you think will win the BCS Championship? Oregon or Auburn?

Who are your favorite 5 forum bros?

If you had to drink one thing for the rest of your life (water excluded), what would you drink?

Your top 5 "I would really like to smash that poon" list of women.
    I LOVE GUNS, ANIMALS, AND PEOPLE GETTING BUTT-HURT.

Comment

what is your highest level of education

where were you born? what is your age?

what is your occupation

what is the single most important accomplishment you'd like to achieve before you draw your final breath

what accomplishment have you achieved that is your proudest

what accomplishment have you achieved that is your most profound regret

what do we not know about you that you'd like us to?

what do we think we know about you that is false

what are some of the philosophical truths that guide you in your day-to-day?

what did your parents/family of origin do well that you hope to emulate?

what did your parents/family of origin do not well that you hope to improve upon ?

favorite childhood memory?

tell us one thing that was true about you 5 years ago that is no longer true and you are happy that it is not true

tell us one thing that was true about you 5 years ago that is no longer true and you are sad that it is not true

tell us one thing that is not true today but you hope will be true about you in 5 years that you welcome

tell us one thing that is not true today but that is likely to be true about you in 5 years but that you hope to avoid

tell us of your most influential romantic relationship - how did it start - how did it end (if it has ended) - how did it influence who you are today

what one thing (that is not about your physical appearance) would you change about yourself today if you had a magic wand that would serve this purpose

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

Originally posted by Bones View Post
        What do you do for a living?
        I'm an engineer. Mostly work designing computer systems. My old job was in aerospace and my new job is working in train control (working on the London Underground upgrade at the moment).

If you had to make out with one man, who would it be?
        Uh . . . tough question. Two part answer (apparently I can't pick just one man to make out with . . . read into that what you will).

If I'm still hetero in this hypothetical situation I'd have to go with one of those Thai lady boys . . . I've seen real women who were less feminine looking than some of them.

If I'm actually INTO dudes . . . uh . . . I dunno, Brad Pit always seemed like a good lookin' fella.

Favorite color?
        Blue

Favorite toppings on a pizza?
        Mushrooms, Extra Cheese, Pepperoni, and Green Peppers, and maybe onions works for me about 90% of the time . . .

Who do you think will win the BCS Championship? Oregon or Auburn?
        Well, if this tells you anything about my love of watching sports . . . I had to google BCS. I'll go out and play anything, but have never really been into televised sports (with the exception of the occasional fight . . . Boxing, MMA, Wrestling, K-1, Judo, Tae Kwon Do, Muay Thai . . . that tends to keep my attention.)

Who are your favorite 5 forum bros?
        I used to like Mattt's posts quite a bit, Sosomething and Ratherdashing usually have something worth reading when they post, Back when I first started out on this message board I hated Jolly with a passion but have since kinda started liking what he writes. I like reading about the other Canadians who are near Toronto as well TimmyPage and JohnJohn. Uh, I think I'm over the 5 bros limit so I guess I'll stop. . .

If you had to drink one thing for the rest of your life (water excluded), what would you drink?
        Chocolate milk. I lived on that stuff during university, and it is ALWAYS awesome.

Your top 5 "I would really like to smash that poon" list of women.
        Hmm . . . off the top of my head . . .

Angelina Jolie . . . her looks just work for me.
        Zhang Ziyi
        Milla Jovovich (specifically from the 5th element when she had that red hair)
        Lucy Liu
        I also remember watching a bunch of episodes of 'My So Called Life' back in my early teens because I was smitten with Claire Danes. . . although I'm not sure if she's still as hot as I remember.

This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Would Canada survive the zombie invasion?
          Go buy my book. https://www.amazon.com/dp/198405564X

Comment

What are 5 computer apps that you couldn't live without?

Is there anything other than guitars that you totally geek out with?

Was there a specific guitar player that made you want to pick up the instrument?
            Beer me!
            Originally posted by Kam
            ...This machine runs on pr0n.

Comment

Originally posted by tone4days View Post
              what is your highest level of education
              I've got my BSc in Engineering.

where were you born? what is your age?
              Born in Picton, Ontario . . . although I never lived there. My parents were just passing through on their way to live in a small fly-in native community in northern Alberta.

I'm going to turn 30 in June.

what is your occupation
              Engineer . . . I guess that systems design and computing are my specialties. I've been working developing different types of simulators since getting out of university.

what is the single most important accomplishment you'd like to achieve before you draw your final breath
              I want to stay fit, active, and mobile into my old age. I know some judo guys who are in their 60s who are clear of mind and very strong . . . it's such a waste when you see people throw away their health, and then live in pain due to poor eating habits and lack of exercise.

what accomplishment have you achieved that is your proudest
              We moved around between a lot of small towns when I was growing up and never had a music program. In addition to that, my mom is completely tone deaf . . . she can't hear the difference between a major and minor chord, and couldn't tell you the difference between do and re. In spite of that I've managed to teach myself to play guitar pretty well just through sheer stubbornness and persistence.

what accomplishment have you achieved that is your most profound regret
              EDIT - I'm not sure that I regret anything that I've accomplished. I've done plenty of stupid stuff, but anything that I've worked hard at has yielded good results. Not necessarily EXACTLY the results that I wanted, but always something good.

what do we not know about you that you'd like us to?
              I'm not an atheist . . .

what do we think we know about you that is false
              I'm not really as argumentative as it appears on this board . . . it's hard to get all the nuances of face to face communication through a keyboard.

what are some of the philosophical truths that guide you in your day-to-day?
              There's a great quote from the Tao Ti Ching that I try to keep in mind:
              We put thirty spokes together and call it a wheel;
              But it is on the space where there is nothing that the usefulness of the wheel depends.
              We turn clay to make a vessel;
              But it is on the space where there is nothing that the usefulness of the vessel depends.
              We pierce doors and windows to make a house;
              And it is on these spaces where there is nothing that the usefulness of the house depends.
              Therefore just as we take advantage of what is, we should recognize the usefulness of what is not.
              Last edited by GuitarStv; 01-05-2011, 03:00 PM. Reason: Whoops . . . I missed one!

Comment

what did your parents/family of origin do well that you hope to emulate?
                Both my parents are very honest, hard working people who try to help out in their communities.

what did your parents/family of origin do not well that you hope to improve upon ?
                My parents got divorced when I was about 13. I think that it was the right choice for them at the time. I think that it came from years of little things that ground away at the love that they both had for each other. I try to take notice of small actions of mine that bother my wife and limit them.

favorite childhood memory?
                When I was about twelve we used to go cross-country skiing as a family for a couple hours on weekends in the winter. Then we would come back home, start a big wood fire going and sit around the fireplace to read and play with the dog.

tell us one thing that was true about you 5 years ago that is no longer true and you are happy that it is not true
                I was not married 5 years ago, but am pretty happy about my situation now that I am.

tell us one thing that was true about you 5 years ago that is no longer true and you are sad that it is not true
                I've moved away with and lost touch with many of the friends that I had from my university days.

tell us one thing that is not true today but you hope will be true about you in 5 years that you welcome
                I suspect that fatherhood may be in my cards in the near future. It's a combination of welcoming / terror, but the concept is getting less frightening.

tell us one thing that is not true today but that is likely to be true about you in 5 years but that you hope to avoid
                I'll likely be working for a different company due to the nature of my profession . . . really don't want to do that because I hate moving, hate applying for jobs, and like stability.

tell us of your most influential romantic relationship - how did it start - how did it end (if it has ended) - how did it influence who you are today
                I met my wife during my second year of university and we're now married. We met in a computer lab when I was registering for courses. I couldn't remember what courses I needed to take and remembered that the cute girl a couple computers down from me was also in my program. After the initial ice breaker awkwardness I knew when all of her classes were, so I was able to keep on 'accidentally' finding myself sitting next to her.

She has acted as a tremendous stabilizing influence on me . . . I am a much calmer person, and pick my words more carefully (to avoid social problems) when talking with people since living with her.

what one thing (that is not about your physical appearance) would you change about yourself today if you had a magic wand that would serve this purpose
                I have very poor eyesight (nearsighted). Since about 4 years old, every morning that I get out of bed I have to reach for my glasses. It would be great to be able to see without them.

Comment

Originally posted by 80's_Metal View Post
                  Would Canada survive the zombie invasion?
                  The cities would be screwed, but where I used to live in northern Ontario would be just fine.

I used to live here:
                  http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=hornepa...1,3.348083&z=9

Reasoning:
                  - It's more than a two hour car drive to the nearest 'town', and the nearby places don't have more than a couple thousand people anyway.
                  - The power used to go out on a regular basis in town, so everyone has basic survival gear (canned food, candles, gas lamps, most homes have wood stoves).
                  - One of the big industries in the area is fly in fishing/hunting, so most homes have a rifle and some ammunition. Most people have experience catching/cleaning fish, and hunting/cleaning moose so they wouldn't starve.
                  - There's only one road into town, so it would be easy to blockade and keep infected people out.
                  - It regularly hits -40 in the winter . . . which means that any zombies walking up there will simply freeze solid before they make it. When they start to thaw in the spring the black flies will strip them to the bone before they can shuffle into town.

Comment

Originally posted by woemoejack View Post
                    What are 5 computer apps that you couldn't live without?
                    - Band In A Box (Seriously, if you want to practice soloing and don't have this . . . get it.)
                    - Cool Edit Pro (or Adobe Audition, whatever you want to call it . . . it's what I do all my recording in)
                    - XBMC (the only thing that I run on my media center computer, it is AWESOME software for organizing and using your media)
                    - Winamp (Yeah, I know it's not the greatest, but I've been using it to listen to music for so long that I'd feel lost without it.)
                    - Firefox (best plug-ins of any browser)

Is there anything other than guitars that you totally geek out with?
                    I've built a lot of computers, and used to be heavy into gaming, modding, and overclocking stuff. Lately though I just design stuff to run as cool, silent and reliably as possible which isn't as much fun . . .

I do have a collection of insect eating plants . . . several types of sundews that I grew from seed and a couple tropical pitcher plants. I set them outside in the summer and watch them catch all kinds of critters. Weird plants are something that I kinda like to grow.

Was there a specific guitar player that made you want to pick up the instrument?
                    I've always loved Jimmy Page . . . his stuff with Zeppelin was a huge draw to the guitar. Honestly though, I remember seeing the music video to 'What it's like' by Everlast and thinking . . . hell, even I could play that. Coincidentally, that was the first song that I learned on guitar.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnJohn
                      First off my condolences on the whole Scarberia thing,but at least that city gave us folks from Brampton a place to make fun of.
                      I was a little leery of moving to the area to be honest . . . you know what though? Scarborough is not the ghetto slum that everyone seems to say that it is . . . there are some crappy areas, and about 90% of the people on the street are minorities (Brown, Asian, Black - in that order), but everyone's friendly and my neighborhood is nice. Plus there's a ton of places to get good Indian food and Jerk chicken.

Originally posted by JohnJohn
                      You're also in an interracial marriage when it started getting serious and you began meeting the family and seeing their whole side of life was there any culture shock for you and if so do you still find it happening ?
                      The culture shock thing is kinda wearing off since I've been around her family for so long. I'm just getting used to it, and some of the stuff is pretty cool . . . like apparently Phillipino people roast a pig for pretty much every occasion the same way us white people do a turkey. Sense of humour being different is what always kills me in family situations . . . because I get nervous and make jokes . . . and then if nobody laughs I get more nervous and make more jokes . . . and it becomes a terrible nobody-laughing spiral of social doom.

Desiree's dad did threaten to have me killed by a triad if I got her pregnant before she finished university when I started dating her . . . so I kinda laughed that off. But then he started to make me think that he was serious . . . sooo that made me uncomfortable for a while. We get along pretty well now though.

Comment

Everyone has things that pyhsically sicken them to think about, be it food, a noise, a person you want to punch in the throat, etc. For instance, mine are boiled eggs, nails on a chalkboard, and people who sing with a wide vibrato.

What are yours?
                        Beer me!
                        Originally posted by Kam
                        ...This machine runs on pr0n.

Comment

Everyone has things that pyhsically sicken them to think about, be it food, a noise, a person you want to punch in the throat, etc. For instance, mine are boiled eggs, nails on a chalkboard, and people who sing with a wide vibrato.

What are yours?
                          Both Fundamentalism and Chinese century eggs bring about a deep queasy uneasiness in the pit of my stomach.

Comment

Favorite cartoon/comic/movie character of all time?

If you could have one super power what would it be?

Most valuable piece of knowledge you got from this forum?

Comment

Originally posted by JustWendell View Post
                              Favorite cartoon/comic/movie character of all time?
                              I can't pick one fav for all three forms of media . . .

Cartoon would have to go to Kenshin from the first set of Samurai X OVAs that were released (not the mediocre TV show).

Comic is a close toss up between Batman and Wolverine . . . probably going to Wolverine.

Movie character . . . Tyler Durden/Whoever Edward Norton was playing in Fight Club.

If you could have one super power what would it be?
                              Super-strength would mean that there are no physical challenges . . . martial arts tournaments would be boring, and it would be really hard to work out. Also, if you have super strong impenetrable skin would you still be able to feel things properly? Is sex going to suck? That's definitely out . . .

Flying quickly wouldn't work with my crappy eyesight and who just wants to hover around slowly? That's out . . .

Invisibility? Meh . . . I'm already pretty low profile. Other than some women's locker room fantasies I don't get the appeal of this one.

The Marvel character Longshot had the ability to create good luck for himself . . . that sounds pretty cool to me. Sorta keeping the same life and everything that I currently have but with a huge does of good things happening now and again.

Most valuable piece of knowledge you got from this forum?
                              I've found good info on setups, wiring diagrams, reviews . . . it's hard to pick a single thing. I think it might have been Jolly's review of his Charvel that interested me enough to go and try one that popped up on craigslist. That ended up with me getting my favorite guitar.

Comment

Working...
                              X