New Bugera Infinium Valve Life Multiplier System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Bugera Infinium Valve Life Multiplier System

I know that Bugera amps are a budget amp and some people here frown on them but this new feature really interests me. It seems like this new system automatically biases the tubes according to how old they are so they are so that they have a longer life or something along those lines, There is also an led for each tube on the rear panel of the amp that shows you which tube went bad if this happens.

Here is a link with a description
    http://www.bugera-amps.com/EN/infinium.aspx

The reason this feature interests me soo much is because it would seem to save alot of money, assuming it actually works, and trips to an amp tech as I am not very electronically inclined. As it happens I am strapped for cash and would prefer to spend my money on other things than tubes and mantainence if possible. I have been suffering the sound of solid state amps ever since I started playing guitar because of the lack of money and since solid states are so reliable compared to most tube amps. Ive played plenty of tube amps and love the way they sound but the things that can go wrong with them and the costs prohibit me from even thinking about saving up for one for the time being.

Im posting this here because I am researching different features and amps so that when I can make an informed decision on what amp to to start saving up for. I am looking mostly at versatility and reliability.

Do any of you know if this is a feature exclusive to Bugera? Or maybe if there are other amp companies that do something similar?

Thanks for any advice.
    Last edited by timothycoyle; 01-18-2011, 02:16 AM.

Re: New Bugera Infinium Valve Life Multiplier System

Traynor amps had this feature at one point...maybe they still do, I don't get a lot of Traynors in the shop and don't do warranty work. Of the Traynors I have had in, nearly all of them had serious issues with the auto-bias feature which took out the output tubes and output transformer. My fix was to remove the auto-bias feature and put in a standard adjustable bias circuit.

With the availability of affordable bias probes these days, it has made an auto-bias feature (and a trip to the tech) a thing of the past.

Their claim of an annual retube is grossly exaggerated. While it's true that some amps do eat tubes, their owners see that as the price to be paid for the tone they are after. Most amps, conservatively set, can get 10+ years out of a set of modern tubes.
    Now operating part time: Glassman Tube Amps...repairs, rebuilds, restorations & modifications of tube equipment.

Still building: GlassMan Amplifiers (25 watt, all tube, single channel w/reverb, single 12" combo) and some more designs in the works.

Located in Fort Wayne, IN

Note: I've "parked" my website in case anyone has been looking for it. I moved locations and haven't updated the site to reflect this.

Comment

Originally posted by timothycoyle View Post
      I'm posting this here because I am researching different features and amps so that when I can make an informed decision on what amp to to start saving up for. I am looking mostly at versatility and reliability.

Do any of you know if this is a feature exclusive to Bugera? Or maybe if there are other amp companies that do something similar?

Thanks for any advice.
      The Randall MTS series has some of those elements. It does have an LED for each power tube and indicates which one failed, it also kicks that tube out of the circuit and keeps going....and it works. It did its job as advertised twice in the two years I owned mine. I was running JJ E34Ls in it.

I still kind of miss that amp. It sounded quite good. A number of the preamps are really nice.
      Originally posted by LesStrat
      Of course, I lack the requisite intellectual capacity to engage in a theoretical discourse regarding the sociological and ethical implications of the absurd and incongruous concept of personal ownership of firearms and the ridiculous supposition that humans are capable of responsibly using said weapons.

Comment

" Infinium Valve Life Multiplier System"

Sounds like something they'd use in a hospital during heart surgery.

Comment

My engl has it also
          tone slut
          Marshall DSL 40C
          Fender EVH Striped Series
          Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro
          Fender Squier Tele Affinity
          Mogami cables

Comment

Originally posted by glassman View Post
            Most amps, conservatively set, can get 10+ years out of a set of modern tubes.
            dang, I didn't know they lasted that long!

Comment

when preamp tubes get weak they loose there gain, had many old tubes and when there not strong I cant really use them
              tone slut
              Marshall DSL 40C
              Fender EVH Striped Series
              Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro
              Fender Squier Tele Affinity
              Mogami cables

Comment

Mesa Recto power sections seem to be hard on tubes...I get about of a year out them when I run them regularily.
                Of course, I lack the requisite intellectual capacity to engage in a theoretical discourse regarding the sociological and ethical implications of the absurd and incongruous concept of personal ownership of firearms and the ridiculous supposition that humans are capable of responsibly using said weapons.

Comment

Originally posted by ken361 View Post
                  when preamp tubes get weak they loose there gain, had many old tubes and when there not strong I cant really use them
                  But...those tubes may be just fine in a different amp. An old Silvertone or Estey usually sound better with old worn out tubes as do many vintage amps.

Originally posted by Binnerscot View Post
                  Mesa Recto power sections seem to be hard on tubes...I get about of a year out them when I run them regularily.
                  They really aren't hard on tubes at all. Rectos are biased cold...way cold. It brings out the percussive quality those amps are designed to do. They idle around 16 or 17mA with a fresh set of middle of the road Mesa tubes in them. As the tubes break in, the idle current decreases...until they get down around 8 or 9 mA and start to sound dead and you replace them.

Now, if you would take that same set of tube that sound dead in your Mesa and stick them in a BF Twin, bias them up to around 30mA or so, you would get a lot of years out of them.

or

Have your tech add a bias control to your Mesa and when the tubes start to sound dead, bump the idle current back up to 16 or 17mA and enjoy several more years out of those same tubes.
                  Now operating part time: Glassman Tube Amps...repairs, rebuilds, restorations & modifications of tube equipment.

Still building: GlassMan Amplifiers (25 watt, all tube, single channel w/reverb, single 12" combo) and some more designs in the works.

Located in Fort Wayne, IN

Note: I've "parked" my website in case anyone has been looking for it. I moved locations and haven't updated the site to reflect this.

Comment

Originally posted by glassman View Post
                    But...those tubes may be just fine in a different amp. An old Silvertone or Estey usually sound better with old worn out tubes as do many vintage amps.

They really aren't hard on tubes at all. Rectos are biased cold...way cold. It brings out the percussive quality those amps are designed to do. They idle around 16 or 17mA with a fresh set of middle of the road Mesa tubes in them. As the tubes break in, the idle current decreases...until they get down around 8 or 9 mA and start to sound dead and you replace them.

Now, if you would take that same set of tube that sound dead in your Mesa and stick them in a BF Twin, bias them up to around 30mA or so, you would get a lot of years out of them.

or

Have your tech add a bias control to your Mesa and when the tubes start to sound dead, bump the idle current back up to 16 or 17mA and enjoy several more years out of those same tubes.
                    Interesting to know.

Comment

Working...
                    X