Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 31 of 31

Thread: Writing Metal

  1. #21
    Seymour Duncan Customer Support sosomething's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Voidship Earthling
    Age
    38
    Posts
    16,429

    Default Re: Writing Metal

    Quote Originally Posted by Kam View Post
    Reminds me of the dude I was in a band with for a while years ago. He came to my house to jam for a bit and he said he had three new killer songs written (when he said songs he almost always meant a single riff).

    The first was Smells Like Teen Spirit but with the order of the chords reversed.

    The second was the first four notes of the E minor pentatonic played in straight eighth notes ascending up the neck with no deviation in rhythm.

    The third was the second song with the order of the chords reversed.
    Were you a good friend? Did you say "You are uncreative and should quit music."?

    Because more people should say that (when called for).

    Some people waste years of their lives sucking at music because no one was honest enough to tell them to stop.
    -Adam

    Hear or Follow my music:

  2. #22
    Mojo's Minions JohnnyGuitar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Israel
    Age
    40
    Posts
    4,560

    Default Re: Writing Metal

    Quote Originally Posted by sosomething View Post
    Were you a good friend? Did you say "You are uncreative and should quit music."?

    Because more people should say that (when called for).

    Some people waste years of their lives sucking at music because no one was honest enough to tell them to stop.
    Hey! I get it all the time and I still love to play.

  3. #23
    Shaftologist Kam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ireland
    Age
    32
    Posts
    10,245

    Default Re: Writing Metal

    Quote Originally Posted by sosomething View Post
    Were you a good friend? Did you say "You are uncreative and should quit music."?

    Because more people should say that (when called for).

    Some people waste years of their lives sucking at music because no one was honest enough to tell them to stop.
    Well, I quit the band so no more (decent) songs were getting written. The singer had one of his episodes and disappeared (seriously, he just showed up recently...after two years) and the drummer decided he'd rather come jam with me. The uncreative dude jammed with anyone who would have him for a while but nothing lasted long.

    He was blazing fast, but he only ever learned one 'box' of the minor pentatonic and just moved it around. He didn't care for changes in rhythm. He was unconcerned about picking dynamics. He felt that such things as feeling and emotion were obnoxious.

    Playing with him was...tiresome. Last I heard, he'd taken up cage-fighting and moved to Australia with his girlfriend. They haven't deported him yet, so I'm assuming he left his guitar here.

    He told me he learned how to sweep pick once. He proceeded to run through the EXACT SAME pentatonic licks he always played...except he down-picked everything.

    I got a tonne of stories about this guy. But I should stop. I've just had coffee and if I continue then my face will probably melt off and my children will weep over my exploded body.
    I remember calloused hands and paint-stained jeans, and I remember safe-as-houses self-belief.

  4. #24
    Seymour Duncan Customer Support sosomething's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Voidship Earthling
    Age
    38
    Posts
    16,429

    Default Re: Writing Metal

    ^ Your guitar player buddy had a pretty big blind spot there... It's a shame because people like that can otherwise be nice folks, but lots of times it's just not worth dragging someone along just because they're a buddy. There. I said it. "Sorry," Middle America.
    -Adam

    Hear or Follow my music:

  5. #25
    Mojo's Minions ksmith63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Believing without blinking
    Age
    34
    Posts
    3,169

    Default Re: Writing Metal

    stop learning how to play covers and your muscle memory will stop making you rewrite them.
    - KEVIN

    MY BAND: http://thefathom.bandcamp.com

    Budda Superdrive 80 II Half Stack; Mesa D-180 + Custom Emperor 2x12 Bass Cabinet
    Music Man John Petrucci (Scream'n Demon/Jazz); Ibanez S2120 (Full Shred set); Steinberger GR4
    Ibanez SR3006; Ibanez BTB1005

    Quote Originally Posted by DankStar View Post
    I'm the Betty Crocker Easy Bake Oven® of riffs. Ding! Another batch is done.

  6. #26
    Mojo's Minions Lazarus1140's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Posts
    15,935

    Default Re: Writing Metal

    Quote Originally Posted by crguti View Post
    always has a recorder ready for those moments of inspiration.
    Always have a recorder running while your noodling and jamming. Sometimes the inspiration hits during playback.
    I am so close to retirement that I could play in a band full time. All I have to do is figure out what to use instead of money, improve my playing, learn some songs, and find some other musicians more talented than me who will do exactly as they're told. .

  7. #27
    Ultimate Tone Member StillLearnin''s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Maryland
    Age
    58
    Posts
    383

    Default Re: Writing Metal

    Walk away from your guitar for a week and listen to stuff out of genre or nothing at all.
    GEAR:
    Guitars, amps, recording gear

    Bandmix page

  8. #28
    Junior Member GrantWilson's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    4

    Default Re: Writing Metal

    __________________
    Writing lyrics to my music, I can't say I've become a good musician, rather a songwriter based on the Practical Magic: Tips on Heavy Metal Songwriting at http://buyessays.cheap/songwriting-metal under a guidance of Shawn McGovern. - RIMusicWorkshop

    I often have writer's block, when I listen to metal too much or read texts and song lyrics; and then whenever I get to my own song, I can't concentrate, because it seems to me that everything that comes to my mind has already been written by someone else. Bruce Dickinson's style is always making me experience a kind of a déjà vu - I copy it all the time in my texts and then have to rewrite them from scratch.
    Last edited by GrantWilson; 01-13-2020 at 03:25 AM.

  9. #29
    Sock Supplier to RHCP Beer$'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    South Australia
    Posts
    5,330

    Default Re: Writing Metal

    I have breaks from metal and rock altogether and explore all different kinds of music. Not necessarily outside my comfort zone, but sometimes it's stuff I've never really sat down and had a proper listen to and then when I come back to writing metal, I'm out of the box that causes writers block. Movie soundtrack music and video game music are great for it.
    The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

    Lead guitarist and vocalist of...



    Keep up to date on our ReverbNation

  10. #30
    OH THE GLAZE! Clint 55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    New Mex
    Posts
    7,266

    Default Re: Writing Metal

    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarStv View Post
    I'm not a big metal head, but this approach often works for me when I'm stuck writing a song.

    1. Take three songs that you know and like . . . they need to all have a similar vibe, and should be from the same genre.
    2. Break down all of the guitar parts in those three songs that you like and figure out what the guitarist is doing. (What scales/modes are being used, what kind of rhythmic patterns are being used, what tuning is being used, are the open strings being hit, how do the drums and bass fit together with the riffs to drive the song forward, etc.)
    3. Come up with a simple rhythmic chord progression (or drum/bass line) that you like. Now approach the riff writing using the techniques that you've discovered in #2.

    Bam. You get a new riff for a song in a style that you like, written by you.
    This is the best advice I've ever heard about composition. Stv, you're a smart guy.
    In the days of my youth
    I was told what it was to be a man
    Now I've reached the age
    I've tried to do all those things the best I can

  11. #31
    Underglazed Hair Metalologist 80's_Metal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    AZ
    Age
    18
    Posts
    9,615

    Default Re: Writing Metal

    Ha ha I didn't notice the Necro bump

    I love Danks idea of just starting with a great drum track, let it take the lead.

    Also when I am drawing a blank, I often grab a guitar in different tune. Drop B is where I've been lately, but the other day I was struggling with anything new... Picked up a guitar in standard and boom, wrote another couple riffs!

    If you stress about it, that hampers the creativity.

    Another way I do it sometimes is picking a topic to get all fired up about, then words and melodies come to me because I got something to say! In a pissed off way kind of thing.

    Good luck! You'll find those riffs hiding out.
    Last edited by 80's_Metal; 01-21-2020 at 06:59 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •