Writing Metal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Writing Metal

always has a recorder ready for those moments of inspiration.

Comment

Just play really, I come up with my best riffs when I'm ****ing around on some exercises......

Listen to some Bolt Thrower too,

Comment

Thanks for all the advice! I think my problem is that I'm never satisfied with a riff. I never write and realize that with a good lyric or lead melody over the riff it could be awesome. I mute chords and I get confused on how to add. I think what I'm going to do for my next song is rather than make a riff and start muting and taking away fills, I'll work in reverse.

I've come up with some stuff based on the random noodling idea.

Thanks, guys!
        Originally posted by jmh151
        I'd hit that so hard that whoever could pull me out would be the King of England
        Originally posted by jeremy
        like if we were walking down the sidewalk and you said "hey check her out" chances are i already saw her and mentally sodomized her
        Originally posted by grumptruck
        Media only reports on what the sheeple wanna see/hear/read.
        Sometimes not read.
        dats hard

Comment

I thought of something else.

don't listen to any metallica post-black album.

Comment

Originally posted by ConvoysToNothingness View Post
            I thought of something else.

don't listen to any metallica post-black album.
            Too bad a lot of it is actually good music...
            Originally posted by jmh151
            I'd hit that so hard that whoever could pull me out would be the King of England
            Originally posted by jeremy
            like if we were walking down the sidewalk and you said "hey check her out" chances are i already saw her and mentally sodomized her
            Originally posted by grumptruck
            Media only reports on what the sheeple wanna see/hear/read.
            Sometimes not read.
            dats hard

Comment

Originally posted by Kam View Post
              Reminds me of the dude I was in a band with for a while years ago. He came to my house to jam for a bit and he said he had three new killer songs written (when he said songs he almost always meant a single riff).

The first was Smells Like Teen Spirit but with the order of the chords reversed.

The second was the first four notes of the E minor pentatonic played in straight eighth notes ascending up the neck with no deviation in rhythm.

The third was the second song with the order of the chords reversed.
              Were you a good friend? Did you say "You are uncreative and should quit music."?

Because more people should say that (when called for).

Some people waste years of their lives sucking at music because no one was honest enough to tell them to stop.
              -Adam

Hear or Follow my music:

Comment

Originally posted by sosomething View Post
                Were you a good friend? Did you say "You are uncreative and should quit music."?

Some people waste years of their lives sucking at music because no one was honest enough to tell them to stop.
                Hey! I get it all the time and I still love to play.

Comment

Originally posted by sosomething View Post

Well, I quit the band so no more (decent) songs were getting written. The singer had one of his episodes and disappeared (seriously, he just showed up recently...after two years) and the drummer decided he'd rather come jam with me. The uncreative dude jammed with anyone who would have him for a while but nothing lasted long.

He was blazing fast, but he only ever learned one 'box' of the minor pentatonic and just moved it around. He didn't care for changes in rhythm. He was unconcerned about picking dynamics. He felt that such things as feeling and emotion were obnoxious.

Playing with him was...tiresome. Last I heard, he'd taken up cage-fighting and moved to Australia with his girlfriend. They haven't deported him yet, so I'm assuming he left his guitar here.

He told me he learned how to sweep pick once. He proceeded to run through the EXACT SAME pentatonic licks he always played...except he down-picked everything.

I got a tonne of stories about this guy. But I should stop. I've just had coffee and if I continue then my face will probably melt off and my children will weep over my exploded body.
                  I remember calloused hands and paint-stained jeans, and I remember safe-as-houses self-belief.

Comment

^ Your guitar player buddy had a pretty big blind spot there... It's a shame because people like that can otherwise be nice folks, but lots of times it's just not worth dragging someone along just because they're a buddy. There. I said it. "Sorry," Middle America.
                    -Adam

Hear or Follow my music:

Comment

stop learning how to play covers and your muscle memory will stop making you rewrite them.
                      - KEVIN

MY BAND: http://thefathom.bandcamp.com

Budda Superdrive 80 II Half Stack; Mesa D-180 + Custom Emperor 2x12 Bass Cabinet
                      Music Man John Petrucci (Scream'n Demon/Jazz); Ibanez S2120 (Full Shred set); Steinberger GR4
                      Ibanez SR3006; Ibanez BTB1005

Originally posted by DankStar
                      I'm the Betty Crocker Easy Bake Oven® of riffs. Ding! Another batch is done.

Comment

Originally posted by crguti View Post
                        always has a recorder ready for those moments of inspiration.
                        Always have a recorder running while your noodling and jamming. Sometimes the inspiration hits during playback.
                        I am so close to retirement that I could play in a band full time. All I have to do is figure out what to use instead of money, improve my playing, learn some songs, and find some other musicians more talented than me who will do exactly as they're told. .

Comment

Walk away from your guitar for a week and listen to stuff out of genre or nothing at all.
                          GEAR:
                          Guitars, amps, recording gear

Bandmix page

Comment

Writing lyrics to my music, I can't say I've become a good musician, rather a songwriter based on the Practical Magic: Tips on Heavy Metal Songwriting at http://buyessays.cheap/songwriting-metal under a guidance of Shawn McGovern. - RIMusicWorkshop

I often have writer's block, when I listen to metal too much or read texts and song lyrics; and then whenever I get to my own song, I can't concentrate, because it seems to me that everything that comes to my mind has already been written by someone else. Bruce Dickinson's style is always making me experience a kind of a déjà vu - I copy it all the time in my texts and then have to rewrite them from scratch.
                            Last edited by GrantWilson; 01-13-2020, 04:25 AM.

Comment

I have breaks from metal and rock altogether and explore all different kinds of music. Not necessarily outside my comfort zone, but sometimes it's stuff I've never really sat down and had a proper listen to and then when I come back to writing metal, I'm out of the box that causes writers block. Movie soundtrack music and video game music are great for it.
                              The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
                                I'm not a big metal head, but this approach often works for me when I'm stuck writing a song.

1. Take three songs that you know and like . . . they need to all have a similar vibe, and should be from the same genre.
                                2. Break down all of the guitar parts in those three songs that you like and figure out what the guitarist is doing. (What scales/modes are being used, what kind of rhythmic patterns are being used, what tuning is being used, are the open strings being hit, how do the drums and bass fit together with the riffs to drive the song forward, etc.)
                                3. Come up with a simple rhythmic chord progression (or drum/bass line) that you like. Now approach the riff writing using the techniques that you've discovered in #2.

Bam. You get a new riff for a song in a style that you like, written by you.
                                This is the best advice I've ever heard about composition. Stv, you're a smart guy.
                                The things that you wanted
                                I bought them for you

Comment

Working...
                                X