• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Well CXIII: The Dali is en la casa

Originally posted by Kam View Post
    Lesson learned.
    Glad to see you back on track sir.
    I LOVE GUNS, ANIMALS, AND PEOPLE GETTING BUTT-HURT.

Comment

If you could fight any historical figure, who would it be?

Easy. Hitler as a youth. Maybe I could have stopped the insanity before it began.

What dining set defines you as a person?

I wish I had something funny to respond to related to this question, but I don't think I even understand what you are looking for! I'll say Fork, Fork, Spoon, Knife.

What's New England like to live in? The only two things I know about it are rain and Robert Frost.

This year New England has been covered in snow!!!! New England is pretty strange as we have 90+ degrees in the summer and 0 - 10 degrees in the winter. Overall, it is very beautiful and really a pretty nice place to live. I have a brother in law who lives in Tampa (Florida) and while I SHOULD like it down there (plenty of golf, lots of water, great weather, pro baseball and hockey team) I just can't get over how boring it is... flat and miles upon miles of crappy stores. Funny story... about 30 years ago my Dad was hosting a professor from Ireland for a few days. It was the first time this gentleman had ever been to America. The first thing he remarked to my father on the ride from the airport was how many trees there were. He thought America was mile upon mile of concrete. He imagined America just being one city after another. Had had no idea how much OPEN SPACE there is here in the States.

This is what it looks like in the fall:

This house is 3 miles from mine:

What's your favourite movie?

I can't nail down ONE favorite movie, so I'll give yo my top 10:
      • Caddyshack - Chevy Chase in his brilliant pre-prescription drug days. Also, before he became totally unfunny.
      • This is Spinal Tap - A classic that I think every guitar player would love.
      • Star Wars Trilogy - no, I don't include the last three movies (which my kids think are the real first three)
      • Naked Gun - RIP Leslie Nielson
      • Shawshank Redemption - My wife made me watch it, as I somehow missed seeing it although it is on TBS and USA every 5 minutes. Great movie all around. Get busy living, get busy dying
      • The Hangover - a recent edition. I don't know how well it will hold up, but pretty freakin' funny right now
      • Lord of the Rings trilogy - Great story, great acting, great special effects. Yes, I even got my kids hooked
      • Goodfellas - what can you say about this one?
      • Braveheart - I can watch this movie over and over. I always find it funny that Mel Gibson is cast into roles of iconic countrymen, when he's Austrailian (see, The Patriot)
      • Indiana Jones - all of them are good, but the first two are really the best. I remember the huge stir the second one caused due to how gory it was at the time (especially as it was targeting 10 - 17 year olds). I actually think that movie helped to created the PG-13 rating.
      • Honorable Mention: Behind the Lighted Stage: The Rush Movie
      Last edited by The Dali; 03-07-2011, 09:30 PM.
      -=The Dali
      --== Unabashed Alex Lifeson Fan

Visit My Guitar Building Blog at www.hammersandchords.com

Comment

How many is too many?

Unless you are talking about hemroids, taxes, or crazy ex-girlfriends there is no such thing as too many.
        -=The Dali

Comment

Originally posted by The Dali View Post

I wish I had something funny to respond to related to this question, but I don't think I even understand what you are looking for! I'll say Fork, Fork, Spoon, Knife.
          lol. Just another obscure Fight Club reference, don't worry about it. No one ever knows what to say to that one.

[*]Braveheart - I can watch this movie over and over. I always find it funny that Mel Gibson is cast into roles of iconic countrymen, when he's Austrailian (see, The Patriot)
          Yeah, man, I get a kick out of that too. Because of that movie I actually grew up thinking he was Scottish.

Totally reminded me of this, though:

I remember calloused hands and paint-stained jeans, and I remember safe-as-houses self-belief.

Comment

tell us a bit about your musical background.

I've never been "musical" by any stretch of the word. I've always loved music. Usually mainstream stuff, and I knew a ton about the artists and would always be listening to something while doing homework, reading, etc...

I took saxophone lessons for 3 weeks in 3rd grade. The sax was bigger than me and I could never get the hang of that damn reed. What's the deal with that anyway!? You have this awesome instrument made of brass and you need a piece of balsa wood to get it to work?! Plus, I didn't practice.

In college I decided to play the drums. A guy in my dorm was a drummer and he offered to teach me the drums. He gave me a wooden box with a rubber pad on the top and two sticks. I then had to practice left-right-left-right-left-left-right-right-left-right... are you kidding? Beer took over and I abandoned that after about 3 days.

As mentioned earlier, I did have one musical talent: air guitar! Man, I could jam. I was always enamored with the guitar, but, like many, I idealized the instrument. I always figured that you had to have innate talent to play it. I'm sure my earlier experiences with instruments didn't help (I just figured you'd GET IT once you started playing). Eventually my darling wife gave me an acoustic guitar for my 30th birthday, replete with lessons. I took to it - although it is a struggle. I generally don't have the patience (or time!) to practice so it has been a battle to get to where I am today. Plus, typing on this damn forum doesn't help with my practicing!! I'm a passable player today, which is great considering where I started!! I do love holding and thinking and talking about guitars, which led to my obsession with building, modifying, fixing and refurbishing electrics.

how interested are you in art?

I like art. I like to build things (my dad is a carpenter, so I have that genetically wired into me) which is a form of art. I appreciate art, for sure. It isn't a passion of mine, however.

I do really enjoy one art form (other than music): reading and writing. I read constantly, and had penned a number of stories. I'm working on two books right now. I've noticed that we have a few very adept writers on this forum as well. I enjoy reading the posts by a few of you who write well, and I can tell that we have a few people here who also write stories, novels, poetry, etc...

you've been a pretty solid contributor since first joining the forums, what brought you here?

Thanks man!

The truth? I was working on a guitar that has single-coil top-routes that only accept specific pickups. It will only take single-coil pickups that don't have the tab on the front where the wires poke through... you know, like this:

and not this:

So I was searching and I found the Duncan "little humbuckers" - they would fit into the space and also give me humbucking sound? Brilliant! I then poked around Duncan's website (this was at the beginning of my guitar odyssey) and learned a ton and eventually stumbled onto the forum. I registered and asked a few questions and kinda poked around. Eventually I found myself coming back since I was starting to modify and fix a bunch of guitars and needed information about wiring and what-not. Soon it became my daily practice to log on and see what was being discussed.
            -=The Dali

Comment

Yeah, man, I get a kick out of that too. Because of that movie I actually grew up thinking he was Scottish.
              Very funny. have you ever seen the Saturday Night Live skit with take off of Sean Connery?

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/STAk6sPjEbw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
              Last edited by The Dali; 03-07-2011, 10:12 PM.
              -=The Dali

Comment

Were you one of those kids that ate their boogers?

No, I usually stuck them under the desk or table.
                -=The Dali

Comment

Originally posted by sosomething View Post
                  Would you rather be penetrated by a christmas tree (decorated) or full-out punch your mom in the face?
                  You son-of-a-*****. My mother died last year after a long bout with cancer. How dare you! **** off!

Ok, just kidding. Given that the Christmas tree can only go so far, I am tempted to choose that option, but I'm fairly certain that my mom could take a punch without any lingering effects... hmmm... I guess I'll go with the Christmas tree as long as you give me a reach around.
                  -=The Dali

Comment

You get to go on a murdering rampage with a city block full of people-

Would you rather do it with a full automatic assault rifle or with a car?

Given that I'm clearly pissed I would probably get more of a "high" off using the rifle. There is too much that can go wrong with the car... plus, if the people start diving for cover I might not be able to get at them with the car. I think any self-respecting rampage artist would choose the rifle. The car is such a wussy way to take care of business.
                    -=The Dali

Comment

You're right.

I should have asked him about men's facial hair and 'accidentally' touching the other dude's cock when you're Eiffel Towering some chick.

Note to self; ask gayer questions to win Bones' approval.

Lesson learned.

Can we be a little sensitive guys? I think we'd all prefer the term "homo-erotic".
                      -=The Dali

Comment

You get to go on a murdering rampage with a city block full of people-
                        The car is such a wussy way to take care of business.[/COLOR]
                        But with a car it would be so much more fun.

What do you do for a living? How do you make your money?
                        Originally posted by Vincent Vespa
                        Dirtbag is only half full of dirt. There rest of him is full of awesome.
                        I'm as happy as a Tornado in a trailer park!! \m/

Guitar: Fender American Special Mahogany HSS Strat
                        Charvel 275DX (Single coil Custom JB, Lil'59 in neck)
                        Fender Std Fat Strat MIM (Crazy8 in the bridge, Lil'59 in neck)
                        Amp: Line6 Spider2-30 watt
                        Lil 5 Watter from Hell AX84 Hi-Octane
                        Effects: Boss SD-1 DIY TS9 on Steroids MOD

Comment

Would you rather

get bitten by a weasel so badly that the resultant infection required surgury to remove

or

immediately and involuntarily empty your bowels every time you went more than hip-deep in water

?
                          -Adam

Hear or Follow my music:

Comment

What do you do for a living? How do you make your money?

I have an MBA in marketing, with a minor in Communication. I work in the marketing department of a large financial services firm. We offer retirement plans and investments for people (401k, 403b, 457 plans, etc).

As such, I've been involved in helping people save and plan for their retirement. I've been with the firm over 15 years, but didn't get into the marketing aspect until about 10 years ago.
                            -=The Dali

Comment

Would you rather get bitten by a weasel so badly that the resultant infection required surgury to remove

or

immediately and involuntarily empty your bowels every time you went more than hip-deep in water?

I think this one is pretty easy! I'd rather have a one-time surgery than live a life of public defication at the beach! Unless, which I suspect is the case, your question was cut off and you meant to write more in the first section (ie, required surgery to remove... your leg... your arm... your genitals...).
                              -=The Dali

Comment

What's up with the name that you picked? Any significance?
                                Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                                This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Working...
                                X