PJ Marx 412 Pickup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: PJ Marx 412 Pickup

Ok, I'm looking at the pickup now. It's encased in a bright orange resin, painted flat black on the top and sides. The pickup underside was left orange. There is a cream white sticker with tape over it on the bottom. Text is 'Brad Gillis' surrounded by a black box.

There are places where the pickup has the black paint worn off exposing the orange.

There are no markings on the top.

The pickup looked unremarable to me.

The DC is 12.82K red to black with white and green connected.
    5.09K Red to white/green.
    7.73 Black to white/green.

Hope this helps those Brad Gillis fans out there.

Comment

How do you like the sound of the Brad Gillis model, Don? I had one a long time ago and really liked it.

The Jeff Watson pickup is also a real badass, BTW.

Do not be wise in words - be wise in deeds.

Comment

As I said in a previous post, I've never really heard it. It came in an HM Strat that was wired up really bad. The person who wired it connected all of the mid points together (two humbucking singles and the PJ Marx) so that he could coil tap all three with one switch. Well, as you know inter-connecting all the pickups together at their midpoints is bound to create some odd tones.

I pulled the PJ Marx out, and installed a BKP Warpig I got for free with an ESP I bought at GC (it was included in the case). The warpig sounded great and has stayed in there.

The PJ Marx has sat in the parts box.

One other thing to mention - the mounting tab on my PJ Marx is NOT like the OP's pickup. It's not metal, it's the same resin the pickup is encased in, and only has one hole on either side. It was direct-mounted in the HM Strat so I don't think it had mounting threads.

The encasing of this pickup looks..."amaturish" so I'm guessing it was one of the early pickups. It looks like it was made in someone's basement.

Comment

The pickup sounds high output to me, but I am used to PAF style pups, with a flat EQ. Very tight bass.
          Gibson ES-335 (stock '57 Classics)*Warmoth Tele (PGn/Brobuckerbridge) *Fender American Strat w/DiMarzio Fast Track Is*Fender Princeton Reverb*Martin D-28*Favorite effects-Maxon AD80*80s Ibanez TS-9*80s Boss OD-1*Fulldrive 2*Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive and MicroVibe-Maxon AF-9*Vox Wah

Comment

Bump-open to offers
            Gibson ES-335 (stock '57 Classics)*Warmoth Tele (PGn/Brobuckerbridge) *Fender American Strat w/DiMarzio Fast Track Is*Fender Princeton Reverb*Martin D-28*Favorite effects-Maxon AD80*80s Ibanez TS-9*80s Boss OD-1*Fulldrive 2*Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive and MicroVibe-Maxon AF-9*Vox Wah

Comment

bump again-or this may become a refrigerator magnet

Comment

Originally posted by hacker View Post
                bump again-or this may become a refrigerator magnet
                is that pickup still available?

Comment

No, sorry-sold about a month or two ago

Comment

I know this post is years old, but I have a jeff watson for sale.

Comment

PM sent on the Watson!

Comment

I was one of the first PJ Marx dealers back in the 80s.... Sold a buttload of them. The 210 and 412 models worked well in combination, and the Brad Gillis models outsold Jeff Watsons by 10 to 1. Loved that thick chewy tone of the Gillis! The single coils models were OK, too. PJ has moved on to selling high priced pistols and such these days.
                        Last edited by ICTGoober; 04-21-2017, 10:41 PM.
                        aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Gillis was always a bigger name than Watson, I suppose, but that only because Jeff was underrated.

I don't have too much money to blow at these things I'm afraid, but I keep an eye out for PJ Marx pickups owing to the Night Ranger connexion. I think Derek Frigo in Enuff Z'Nuff used a 412 for a while too. Beyond that I don't really know much about them!

Comment

Gillis was always a bigger name than Watson, I suppose, but that only because Jeff was underrated.
                            Brad had the whammy bar then.... and that over-ruled Jeff's flying arpeggios.
                            aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Yeah. Brad was always the most flamboyant one… which is quite a feat, Jeff's speed picking and tapping taken into consideration! But both are excellent, of course; what a duo! But yes, Jeff definitely deserved more attention. And I'm very interested in getting one of those pups.

Comment

This is heading for Aotearoa! Now I just need a Gillis!

Comment

Working...
                                X