When do you record the bass?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When do you record the bass?

I always used to record the bass and drums together first, but a bass player friend of mine said the bass should be recorded last. What do you do and why?
    My songs....enjoy! (hopefully )

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=652921
    or for older stuff too, but slower downloads
    http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp...=301569&T=7414

Originally posted by DankStar
    700 watts is ok for small clubs, but when you play with a loud drummer or at a medium-large sized venue, you really need 1,500-watts at least. no one should be left alive.

Re: When do you record the bass?

I always record it last. Couldn't really tell you why; it just works for me. I know I'd go nuts if I recorded it first trying to get everything perfect. When the guitar's already down the little "flubs" from the bass track add to the soul of the tune. The other way around would probably end up feeling too robotic.

Comment

When?...when you can get the bass player to put his beer down. There isn't any real order, although you you usually do the drums first...kind of common sense. Record the bass whenever it works best for you or the band.
      Originally posted by LesStrat
      Of course, I lack the requisite intellectual capacity to engage in a theoretical discourse regarding the sociological and ethical implications of the absurd and incongruous concept of personal ownership of firearms and the ridiculous supposition that humans are capable of responsibly using said weapons.

Comment

it depends. If I'm recording me playing bass just for a demo idea for the band I do it last cause I approach the bass from the guitar perspective as I'm not a bass player . in a band sitch I much rather not doing my final guitar take till the bass is there. The bass and drums need to talk to each other then the guitar should phrase around that in my opinion

but whatever works
        stuff
        and
        more stuff

Comment

for my underwear bedroom recordings, I typically do it last because I make up tunes on guitar, and use the guitar/drum tracks to figure out the bass lines. I think I did bass once right after the drums because I had really concentrated on the bass to write the tune that time.

Comment

huh...I usually work from the bottom up but I guess it depends on the tune.
            Originally posted by kilphody
            There is no such thing as useless knowledge.

Comment

I should have made it clear that I'm recording by myself, so I do all the parts usually. I don't really see a difference as to when it is recorded, but he's taking classes and stuff so an edumacated dude usually makes me think, ha ha.
              My songs....enjoy! (hopefully )

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=652921
              or for older stuff too, but slower downloads
              http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp...=301569&T=7414

Originally posted by DankStar
              700 watts is ok for small clubs, but when you play with a loud drummer or at a medium-large sized venue, you really need 1,500-watts at least. no one should be left alive.

Comment

Originally posted by 75lespaul View Post
                I should have made it clear that I'm recording by myself, so I do all the parts usually. I don't really see a difference as to when it is recorded, but he's taking classes and stuff so an edumacated dude usually makes me think, ha ha.
                Like many things in recording and music there is no right answer. I'm a song writer so I need to have the progression mapped out first which is usually done by the root notes of my bass line, sometimes I'll go back and change the bass line later to add interest. I need that root progression though to add harmony and melody. When I write though a song may be inspired by a loop or a guitar riff etc. Some bass lines have more melodic content like McCartney some don't like Adam Clayton.
                Last edited by innerdreamrecords.co; 03-08-2011, 06:46 PM.
                Pulse 2AM - YouTube
                Pulse 2AM - iTunes

Comment

I do bass after guitars, that way I can tailor the bass tone to the guitar sound.
                  Originally posted by Aceman
                  It was the age of suave. Men were men, and women were smacked and thrown on the bed and loved it.

Comment

Wouldn't the wimpy instruments have a better time when bass and drums are both present when they do their parts? At least a rough track?

Comment

I always record bass last. To me the bass is the most important sound of the song really. I can run through a couple of lines in the song and get the exact sound I want for bass. I rarely if ever use the same bass sound for any of my recordings. I get everything the way I want it and then do the bass last and give it the sound it needs for that particular song.

Comment

Drums and/then bass. Old school way.
                        sigpic

- http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=804435 -
                        - https://soundcloud.com/mr-ds-bigband/tracks -

Warning: May contain traces of NUTS

Comment

Last. But that's mainly because I do everything myself. I lay down guitar to a click, build the drums to the guitar, then build the bass to the drums & guitar and then tweak for hours on that. If I had a real drummer in my home studio, it would be the opposite.
                          GEAR:
                          Guitars, amps, recording gear

Bandmix page

Comment

Working...
                          X