Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Absolute best Les Paul pickup and why?

Default Re: Absolute best Les Paul pickup and why?

Quote Originally Posted by CountFunkula View Post
    I never disagreed with you. You are clearly drunk

*hiccup*
    Loooong..I am Dearly Crunk(off my azz)
    a 12 pack of Coors AND a bottleof Merlot has a way of doing that to me.
    "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Mojo's Minions

I think some of you took the thread title too litterally. I was just soliciting your opinions on what YOU think is the best Les Paul pickup.

Ultimate Tone Slacker IanBallard's Avatar

Mojo's Minions

in a maple top, mahogany back les paul, I found that the seth lover, jb, jb/fullshred hybrid, custom/59 hybrid, air norton and pearly gates are really awesome. they all have their merits, some work better for some applications, and others work better with some guitars. if you have a les paul which is already very bright, like my latest, and you want a dirty, throaty, raunchy tone, a seth lover is utterly useless. it will have such a bright, shreeky tone, your ears will start to bleed. a custom/59 hybrid or an air norton is in a guitar like that a much wiser choice.

I can tell you which pickups I didn't like, though, but that list is very long

Super Toneologist blindedbysilence's Avatar

I like a Brobucker bridge. Want to try some different neck pickups, currently using an overwound Alnico II.
    Hard Rock - gain on 5 - singing about good times.

Heavy Metal - gain on 10 - screaming about something.

---Gearjoneser
    he was trying to convince her to swing.

That's like taking a Ferrari to a mud bog.--Ginormous

INTENSELY corrosive sweat

GFS anything. If anybody spends more than 35 for a pickup, he's a retard. The tone comes from the fingers, not the guitar or the amp. End of story.

Ultimate Tone Slacker IanBallard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by formula73 View Post
    GFS anything. If anybody spends more than 35 for a pickup, he's a retard. The tone comes from the fingers, not the guitar or the amp. End of story.
    I can personally attest to the VEH pickups being awesome in a Les Paul. Not super hot, but not wimpy either. Hot harmonics and good cleans too.

INTENSELY corrosive sweat

I don't even know why I'm on this forum. The sweatshop labor putting our stuff together in China and Korea is every bit as tight in their qc and design criteria as us fat, overpaid Americans. Just swap some magnets. It'll be a ****ing epiphany.

Or epiphone.

Or something.

Quote Originally Posted by dr. ad View Post
    screamin demon.
    This will be my next bet on my 2nd Les Paul.

My first LP has a 59N A4 in the neck and a Ant Bridge with a RCUO A5 in the bridge. The neck has 1 meg Pot and both tone vol are hooked of ( i dont need them the tone is dialed in perfectly.)
    I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Varg

Quote Originally Posted by MetalManiac View Post
    did you just call me a troll, Mother****** ?
    maybe you should know that evreything else in your equation( of course, in YOUR little mind YOU arent the Troll) just compensates, and that the true ideal uses THE Seth, and thats it, and if thats too much for you to accept, than try at least to STFU and not resort to petty name calling.
    Theres nothing wrong with the pickuops you mentioned, but calling me a troll for saying the Seth, and in particualr the Duncan Seth, is the best, is total B.S.
    I don't mind you dissagreeing, but watch it with the Troll ****, casue your pissing me off.

I don't see how the Seth, or 59, or whatever it is you say is the "plateau" can be "THE BEST" when someone might be using their Les Paul to play death or black metal.

My favourite pickup in a Les Paul is either the A2Pro or Dimarzio PAF in the bridge, and either a 59 or Dimarzio PAF in the neck. They work well for what I use the guitar for, but I haven't tried every possible pickup in my Les Pauls so I wouldn't claim to have found the Holy Grail.

Quote Originally Posted by orpheo View Post
    a custom/59 hybrid or an air norton is in a guitar like that a much wiser choice.
    What magnet does the Custom/59 have??
    I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Discussion over. A 58 Les Paul a Great player & a great song/singer.

Marks LP is all original except for a refret. I don't think I have heard better tone from a Les Paul. Of course this is simply my opinion.
    "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

malymal86

Quote Originally Posted by IanBallard View Post
    People tend to like "classic tones" because that's what was slapped in there in the old days before there was much of a choice. Back then, the guitar gods of the day used what was available and made the best of it. That doesn't mean what was used 50 years ago is "best" but it most familiar in terms of historical context. At this stage, a Super Distortion is a "classic pickup" since it's almost 40 years old and has been used on a great number of classic recordings. I suppose the combination of a Super D and a PAF replica in the neck, would be a great "classic" combination.

On the other hand, there are more modern designs that might sound great in a Les Paul but people pass them over because they aren't "classic". Tone Zone/Air Nortion? P-Rails? Lawerence 500XL bridge/ L-90 neck? I'm sure you could coax all kinds of interesting and usable tones from a Lester with something BESIDES PAF replicas.

This!

malymal86

Quote Originally Posted by formula73 View Post

I like the Jazz/59 hybrid in the neck and Custom/59 hybrid in the bridge (both A5, though A4 might be even better). Detail, articulation and the three-dimensionality that just doesn't seem present with regular production models. I've even thought a Jazz/59 hybrid in the bridge would be awesome too.
    Last edited by crusty philtrum; 04-02-2011 at 03:51 AM.
    Lumbering dinosaur (what's a master volume control?)

STALKER NO STALKING !

He Did the Monster Mash DrNewcenstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by orpheo View Post
    if you have a les paul which is already very bright, like my latest, and you want a dirty, throaty, raunchy tone, a seth lover is utterly useless. it will have such a bright, shreeky tone, your ears will start to bleed.
    And here we have the textbook example of what I was speaking of - personal preference. I, for one, am probably the ONLY person alive who would put that to good use (well, maybe Adrian Belew, but I'm nowhere near as good).

Case in point: I put a 500T in my '93 Standard. Probably baked the pot a tad as it never was really "off" at 0. However, it could only be heard under two distinct conditions: if I bashed the hell out of the strings, or if I clicked a certain patch in my MP1/TSR12 rack combo which had both Gains on 10 and a Phaser. At stage volume, it would feedback even with the knob on 0, but it was greatly influenced by your position in relation to the 2x12 cabinet I was playing through.

This yielded a creepy "haunted playground swing" sound which Alice Cooper would have done in a studio with a string section and just played a soundtrack live (or maybe an old rusty gate, knowing him). Talk about setting a mood!

The rest of the time, on every other "regular" patch in my rack, there was no extraneous feedback (plenty of useable feedback though, but it didn't squeal like a stuck pig, unlike the Explorer with its Dirty Fingers).

So, while one person - or a million - thinks "the best" is a Seth Lover-made Gibson humbucker in a 1959 Les Paul (going by that logic, we should all eat turds, because a bajillion flies cannot possibly be wrong), there's always the "one in a million" who knows better.

Am I smarter than everyone who bought into the hype and jacked up blue book values? Yes, yes, I am, because I did not jump into their pit of vanity and "me too-ism" with wallet wide open and mind slammed shut.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brown Note View Post
    I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
    My Blog

These are my faves:

Pearly Gates neck & bridge - edgy PAF style, very versatile

Custom bridge / Jazz neck - great for hard rock thru metal, will cover classic rock too, cleans not as sweet as PAF clones

I wish Seymour Duncan did an A4 PAF, but he doesn't so in the meantime I have to settle for these .....

Bare Knuckle Mules - very well balanced and clear PAF type that, like the PGs, will cover pretty much any style

Tonerider AC4s - an excellent cheap PAF style bucker that stands up against both the SDs and the BKPs.

He Did the Monster Mash DrNewcenstein's Avatar

Get yourself an A4. Magnet swaps are so easy I'm ashamed I waited so long to try one. Now I've done so many I can't remember what pickup now has what magnet
    Quote Originally Posted by Brown Note View Post
    I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
    My Blog

My Epi LP sports a '59 SH-1 @ neck / angled single-coil Twang Banger @ bridge. I doubt anyone else has done this. I like that.

Anyone tried the GFS Classic II (A2)?