• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Best SG Replacement pickups??

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
    Wow, Kam.

Thanks for those videos.

It knda confims what I always thought...that it really doesn't make much difference what type of cap you use, only the value. I personally use orange drops, for no particular reason except that they are large enough to make it easy to work with. I use .010uf, .020uf, mostly and occassionaly (rarely) .047uf.

If you were comparing caps for use in a very high end stereo for headphone listening or recording, there might be some merit in using more expensive caps, but for guitars being played in noisy venues (which is any place as noisy or noisier than a bedroom), that kind of fidelity doesn't matter.
    Yup. That's pretty much exactly how I feel about it.

The odd thing is that when he was comparing the different cap materials, my favourite was actually the basic Epiphone one.

Cheap tastes, I guess.
    I remember calloused hands and paint-stained jeans, and I remember safe-as-houses self-belief.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
      Is a "splat" just a split with more attack?
      This is from his website...

**The Splat is a means of getting a beefier option to the typical wimpy/slicey split humbucker tone. One coil is tapped part way so when you throw the switch you get all of one coil plus part of the other coil for a bigger "single coil" tone. For example, if you had an 8k pickup, instead of the 4k split that sounds like a mosquito on a good day, you could have 5.5k, 6.0k, 6.5k or anywhere in between. Though I will likely make some recommendations for what's best for what you want, the exact spec is up to you...
      I remember calloused hands and paint-stained jeans, and I remember safe-as-houses self-belief.

Comment

Word. And no one else does it as far as I know.

Zhang is a cool mofo for even trying it.

Comment

Originally posted by Kam View Post
          Yup. That's pretty much exactly how I feel about it.

The odd thing is that when he was comparing the different cap materials, my favourite was actually the basic Epiphone one.

Cheap tastes, I guess.
          The Epi was the only one that had a pronounced difference from the others, more plucky.

I use .022 orange drops, but I have a vintage .03 mallory that I'm gonna use on my tele.

Comment

Very interesting, Kam. Thanks for that explanation. The "splat" makes perfect sense. Not just limited to one coil in a split, but can add as much of the other coil to the split as you want. VERY cool.
            Originally Posted by IanBallard
            Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

I just gotta say...Zhang is so clever.
              Originally Posted by IanBallard
              Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Awesome guys! Thank for all the input.

Comment

Just bought a SH4 and SH2 set zebra and wiring kit with PP pots, for my sons G400, hope thats not a mistake

Comment

Originally posted by timj46 View Post
                    Just bought a SH4 and SH2 set zebra and wiring kit with PP pots, for my sons G400, hope thats not a mistake
                    If the JB isn't to your liking (not a rare problem in warm woods like mahogany), exchange it for a SH-14.
                    "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
                    "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
                    "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Working...
                    X