Clear All

Re: Best SG Replacement pickups??

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
    The most popular pair here...
    Weasel words: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weasel_word
    This machine kills fascists

Comment

Now what exactly is the Custom 8? Why cant I find that model anywhere??

Comment

The custom 8 is any 'custom' named pickup with an A8 magnet - you need to source that yourself and fit it. All 'custom' pickups are the same wind with different magnets.

Custom SH5 = ceramic magnet
        Custom Custom SH11 = A2 magnet
        Custom 5 SH14 = A5 magnet

Its a straighforward mod that is pretty well explained elsewhere in this forum. You can buy magnets from AddictionFX on the 'bay.

The reason its so popular is that the custom, 59 and JB winds lend themselves tonally to a change in magnet i.e. you can tune your sound without buying a new pickup. SD dont glue the magnets in so its an easy mod to try.

The custom designation in this case has nothing to do with the custom shop : confusing I know...grab a beer, search on magnet swap in the forum and spend a few hours..its worth the reading effort

HTH
        "that’s what is so good about the guitar — everyone can really enjoy themselves on it and have a good time, which is what it’s all about. Right?”

Jimmy Page

Comment

A pair of '59's will give you the closest to Page tone (especially with an SG, some of the Telecaster tone isn't that far removed). I would suggest Parallel wiring as opposed to split. Its a bit more solid than split but still retains a single-coil vibe.

The custom is much more punchy and modern than a '59. If you want to do Zep and heavier then this would stretch between the two. Just back the volume off a notch or two for vintage tone. I would be torn between the custom custom and the C5. The latter will be a bit thin in an SG, but the first might be too thick toned

Comment

Okay so, 59 for the neck and ?? for the bridge. Should both pickups get A8 magnets for the Page tone??

Comment

Custom8 in the bridge of an SG is almost a no-brainer. Great rock tone and splits well.

AniML suggested a Sreamin Demon for the neck. I hardily concur. The Demon is a very underrated pup and dosen't get the attention that it deserves. It works great in the neck of an SG...very full rich sound and very clear and articulate. High enough output to split and goes well with the C8.

As has also been mentioned, a P-90 set is made for an SG. They aren't splitable 'cause they're singles, but MAN what a great sound. Forget about Page and do the P-90s if you want to be happy.
              Originally Posted by IanBallard
              Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

If you want a Pagey tone, leave the 59s stock.

Comment

So for the bridge pickup, what pickup will work best with the neck 59?? Custom 8 or not to Custom 8, that's the ultimate question.

Comment

Originally posted by manoverboard_21 View Post
                    So for the bridge pickup, what pickup will work best with the neck 59?? Custom 8 or not to Custom 8, that's the ultimate question.
                    See, I absolutely LOVE the Custom 8 in the bridge of an SG. It's thick, full and raunchy. I think it sounds incredible for all the genres I play (of which classic rock is a small part).

However, I think if your ultimate goal is Zep tone with the ability to do more, then the '59 will get you closer.

It just depends on whether you want a really great bridge tone that can get close to Zep or whether you want to get really close to Zep and do some other stuff on the side.

Another thing to consider is that if you're dead set on splitting the pickups then you might find the '59 a little weak and thin in single coil mode. Generally higher output pups will sound better split than the more PAF type pups because there's still a decent amount of power there when you split it.

It's a tough call. It really depends how vintage you want to go. A Custom 8 can go vintage but it's not it's strong suit. The '59 was designed to be vintage (though it can sound great for more modern styles as well, depending on your rig) but it will sound weak when split.

A good halfway house could be the Custom 5. It's like the '59 but has a bit more beef in the bass and low mids, plus it really suits the SG body. Plus, if you don't like it then it's a ten minute mag-swap from being a Custom 8.
                    I remember calloused hands and paint-stained jeans, and I remember safe-as-houses self-belief.

Comment

Originally posted by manoverboard_21 View Post
                      How would an Inavder fit into the equation compared to the Custom 8?
                      I personally LOVE an Invader in an SG, but I think it depends in part on the rest of the rig. I don't believe they sound quite as good going into a high gain amp, but with the one that I've got in my white SG just roars. I paired it with a Dirty Fingers in front and it seems to be a nice contrast. I know that the conventional belief is that Dirty Fingers pups are also kinda savage, but the one that I'm using is incredibly anemic. If I were to replace that pickup with anything, it'd be with a '59.
                      www.enigmaduo.com

Comment

Ineresting, Im curious how an Invader would sound split. So will the 59 or JB with an A8 get me closer to the Page tone??

Comment

Dude if the only thing you want is Page Tone, well first of all Led Zep evolved with every record and the changes where notorious, so i don't think there's only one page Tone.... on the other hand DMZ Super Distortion it's pretty much 70's in a box... so probably it wil be your best choice.

Comment

Okay, let me take this one step further... I'd like to get Pageish tones and how about George Harrison's SG tones on Revolver

Comment

59b & PGn, done!
                              "Believe the word, I will unlock my door and pass the cemetery gates"

Comment

Magnet change or stock??

Comment

Working...
                                X