X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Best SG Replacement pickups??

Originally posted by manoverboard_21 View Post
    Magnet change or stock??
    Try'em stock, dial your amp in and if you're lacking anything go from there. Every piece of wood is different, very few guitars are going to sound exactly alike.
    "Believe the word, I will unlock my door and pass the cemetery gates"

Comment

I will try that. Are they any better caps and such than others to get the vintage tone??

Comment

Caps are somewhat of a controversy. I don't really think it matters but some do. Use a 50's wiring schematic. These are good for the price:

Comment

Any one else concur?? Best pickups for Page and Revolver George Harrison tones for my SG??

Comment

There are several PAF style pickups that can get you there with the right amp settings. IMO once you've got a decent PAF style pickup amp settings are the key.

P.S. Do not, I repeat do not take my word as gospel. I'm not a gigging musician and my experience is limited.

Comment

59B in an sg would get you where you want to be. id also recommend the 59n to go with it. in les pauls some people find them boomy, but in an sg, far from it. mine sings! as for caps orange drops will suffice.
              our first drummer died in a bizzare gardening accident!

I won't dance in a club like this,
              'Cause all the girls are sluts,
              And the beer tastes just like piss.

Comment

Seriously, any of the PAF type pickups will get you close to where you want to be. The rest is up to you and your amp. Personally, I'd go for a set of '59s. I've had that set in an SG before and thoroughly enjoyed them. Pearly Gates will most likely get you there as well.

As for caps...they make very little difference. If you want to make up your own mind and you have a spare half an hour to kill, these videos are pretty cool. Put on a blindfold and hit play:

I remember calloused hands and paint-stained jeans, and I remember safe-as-houses self-belief.

Comment

Wow, Kam.

Thanks for those videos.

It knda confims what I always thought...that it really doesn't make much difference what type of cap you use, only the value. I personally use orange drops, for no particular reason except that they are large enough to make it easy to work with. I use .010uf, .020uf, mostly and occassionaly (rarely) .047uf.

If you were comparing caps for use in a very high end stereo for headphone listening or recording, there might be some merit in using more expensive caps, but for guitars being played in noisy venues (which is any place as noisy or noisier than a bedroom), that kind of fidelity doesn't matter.
                  Originally Posted by IanBallard
                  Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

59 set
                    Pg set

Comment

BE CAREFUL

A lot of pickups do not fit in a SG, because the thickness of the body.

For example, if your pickup cavity is less than 1.25 inches (32 mm) deep in the neck position or .75 inches (19 mm) in the bridge position, guitar modification may be necessary.
                      Support Code 211 - Stop the bad boys, you know COPS!
                      When we do right nobody remembers when we do wrong nobody forgets!
                      Red Devils - 1% all the way!
                      Screw anyone who post negative crap on my post!
                      Finding out that there really is a lot of traffic on the Highway to Hell, but no waiting line on the Stairway to Heaven.

Comment

Originally posted by Stef View Post
                        59 set
                        Pg set
                        +1. Two of the best.
                        "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
                        "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
                        "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

If you're only after a Page tone in your SG, then I concur with Stef and Blueman. The '59 or PG set would be great. But you talk about being able to split them. Of course either of those pups can be split (if you get the 4 conductor model), but both sound a bit weak split. The Custom 5 still gives a Pagiesk sound but splits much better than the '59 or PG.

In the bridge, I much prefer the C8 over the C5, but that's just me. When the C8 is split it gives a pretty decent Page tone. In the neck of an SG I prefer a little beefier pup than the '59...the Screamin Demon really sound great in an SG. Still kinda PAFy but with more body which I feel is needed in the thinner mahogany of the SG. The Demon also splits very well and when you're using both pups split, it gets a pretty decent Strat tone.

So...my recommendation for your SG, and for the tone you want (Page) plus for the ability to get some useful split tones as well:

C8/Demon

Comment

Have Zhang wire you up some PAF types with a splat.

Comment

A "splat"?

Comment

Is a "splat" just a split with more attack?

Comment

Working...
                                X