Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: "Aftermarket/Boutique" Amp Companies

Originally posted by mwalluk View Post
    Genz Benz was another. ANyone ever play the EL Diablo? I occasionally see them around
    One member owns one ..... I just don't remember who it is. You can probably do a search and find him.

I know the Black Pearls are very highly regarded. I tested one in a music store and know I'd be pleased to own one, but I have no experience and have read almost nothing about their high gain stuff. The BP is more in the AC-30 zone.
    Last edited by Lazarus1140; 04-26-2011, 10:24 AM.
    I am so close to retirement that I could play in a band full time. All I have to do is figure out what to use instead of money, improve my playing, learn some songs, and find some other musicians more talented than me who will do exactly as they're told. .

Comment

Originally posted by mwalluk View Post
      Genz Benz was another. ANyone ever play the EL Diablo? I occasionally see them around
      Pretty sure the Genz-Benz stuff is all manufactured in China. I could be wrong. Smaller company, yes, but hardly what anyone would consider "boutique," imho.
      -Adam

Hear or Follow my music:

Comment

You can call me Batman for briging back the tread but after reading all of it I noticed ome of my favorite brand of boutique amplifiers was not there, Brunetti http://www.brunetti.it/index_en.php Made in Italy and extremely rare to find in the US (Like it usually happens with European amp brands like Framus and such. I also saw an advertisement for Framus http://www.framus.com/modules/start/start.php in Guitar Player magazine, so they must still be in production, I can't wait to test one of those. Another thing, I always believed Genz Benz was fully made in US, but I agree that he might not quite fit the description of the high end Boutique amp industry, he does definitely fits the independent quality amplifier maker. I need to find out if they are american made or not because I'm curious to know.
        Washburn Atlantis EC26 (YJM Fury/Screamin' Demon w/Triple Shot) and Washburn Parallaxe PXS100ARFRWHM (PATB-1n/PATB-3)
        Rivera M100 and Rivera Bonehead.

Good deals with: Savage Distortion, IndySG, Masta' C, RayBarbeeMusic, Monsta-Tone, Chickencoop, Traumatized.

Comment

Wizard
          Baron

I play in a hipster band, with an amp that isn't even made yet
          good deals with:

Buyers - Allstarme, Savage_Distorton, Lerxst6, KingIZZO))), Powerglide350, Donnievaz, SrDeMaFp, Guston7, Ayrton, IndySG, eclecticsynergy, eaeolian, Jolly

Sellers - 51501984

Comment

East Amps
            Originally posted by Vincent Vespa
            Dirtbag is only half full of dirt. There rest of him is full of awesome.
            I'm as happy as a Tornado in a trailer park!! \m/

Guitar: Fender American Special Mahogany HSS Strat
            Charvel 275DX (Single coil Custom JB, Lil'59 in neck)
            Fender Std Fat Strat MIM (Crazy8 in the bridge, Lil'59 in neck)
            Amp: Line6 Spider2-30 watt
            Lil 5 Watter from Hell AX84 Hi-Octane
            Effects: Boss SD-1 DIY TS9 on Steroids MOD

Comment

Thank you for beating me to mentioning "Matchless". Whenever I think of boutique stuff, they're the first company to come to mind. They were one of the first true boutique amplifiers on the market and I was shocked at how many posts it took to get someone to type it.

I've been guilty of giving into the boutique trend. I've owned a Bad Cat Hot Cat 30, Bogners (2 Shivas), Hughes & Kettners (Duotone and Triamp Mk I) and a Fargen Epic 30 DC before. Still have my old EL-34 non reverb Bogner Shiva. I've played a fair share of the above listed boutique stuff as well. I've been underwhelmed by a lot of stuff, but there is some stuff that just blew me away. One tone I'll never forget was actually from a Savage Blitz 50, it was a "jumped Marshall" setting and to this day that crunch/overdrive tone still haunts me.

Legendary Boutique Guitar Amps and Repair & Restoration. Since 1990, Savage Audio has been the premier amplifier repair service center for the Twin Cities. From R.E.M. to Pearl Jam, Savage amps have graced the stages of the world’s most demanding performers. Try one and find out why!
              Last edited by That90'sGuy; 11-28-2011, 10:05 PM.
              Originally posted by kevlar3000
              I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
              Originally posted by Zerberus
              Better is often the enemy of good
              Originally posted by ginormous
              Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

I think you can add Matchless to the list. even though they are still being made they are not the same as the "Sampson" era amps. Still very very good, but the originals were/are much more vocal IMHO.

I have a very close friend who owns two A Lightning & Spitfire. Both are 15W amps but are built like a 50W. The speakers and transformers can easily handle twice the output they are rated for.
                "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
                "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Dr. Z amps are great and sold only in a handfull of stores. Great amps. Also, Avatar Speakers are now selling rockin' little 18 watt handwired amps that sound pretty good. Only sold through Avatar themselves.

Comment

Achillies Amps
                    Amwatts
                    BarWatt Amplification
                    BJ Amplifiers
                    George Evans Custom Amplifiers
                    Ivan Richards Audio
                    Lab Systems
                    Ledford Amplification
                    MI AUDIO Amplification
                    Neale Amplifiers
                    Reynolds Valveart
                    Sherlock Amplifiers
                    SWD Amplifiers
                    Tym
                    Ulbrick
                    Valvetone
                    VASE Amplifiers
                    Woogie Amplifiers

All Australian made.
                    Last edited by Animal; 11-29-2011, 01:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X