Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: "Aftermarket/Boutique" Amp Companies

Originally posted by mwalluk View Post
    I don't know if the term "Aftermarket/Boutique" is suitable, I just don't know what word I could use to describe them. Call it a lack of a better word syndrome. My other thread got me thinking. What are some companies that we're big but faded away in recent years or still going strong. I would like to keep this to companies off the norm. Mainstream amp companies like Fender, Marshall, Mesa, Peavey need not apply.

Here's what I got so far;

VHT/Fryette - Both are still making amps, VHT went down hill when Fryette established his own company.

Madison - Out of Production

Framus - Out of Production

Diezel - Only in Germany

Bogner - Still going strong

Splawn - Still going strong

Soldano - Still going strong
    This list reminds me of metalcore. It seemed that for awhile metalcore guitarists were going nuts over any new high gian amp in an effort to not sound exactly like every other metalcore band out there. It seemed like every month or two they were jumping ship from the 5150 to the Knucklehead to the Ubershall to the Cobra to the Powerball to Krank to whatever came next.... pretty much anything to avoid using a Rectifier.

It seems like a lot of the "other" brands you're talking about died down when metalcore died down.
    || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

Originally posted by some_dude View Post
      This list reminds me of metalcore. It seemed that for awhile metalcore guitarists were going nuts over any new high gian amp in an effort to not sound exactly like every other metalcore band out there. It seemed like every month or two they were jumping ship from the 5150 to the Knucklehead to the Ubershall to the Cobra to the Powerball to Krank to whatever came next.... pretty much anything to avoid using a Rectifier.

It seems like a lot of the "other" brands you're talking about died down when metalcore died down.
      Good point though many of them were around before metalcore started.
      Ibanez S520-> NS2->TS9 (Monte Allums Modded)->JCA100H->Emi Texas Heat 4x12

Comment

Originally posted by some_dude View Post

I guess you can say so. I was more so curious about other brands. I was thinking about some of these amps a few days ago and was wondering what happened to them? Kind of like VH1 where are they now.

I still hear of Splawn, Engl, Soldano, Fryette, etc but some of em have died down quite a bit ala Diezel, Framus, etc.

I don't play metal, but do write some songs in the heavier side of things. I like the tightness of a lot.

You nailed it with "It seemed that for awhile metalcore guitarists were going nuts over any new high gian amp in an effort to not sound exactly like every other metalcore band out there." Just replace metalcore w/ modern rock. If I ever decide to replace my VHT, I'm def. going off this list. I like more unique voicing and not sounding tonewise like everyone else out there.
        Originally posted by grumptruck
        No I think James and Dave have that covered. You are obviously rocking way to hard.
        Originally posted by Gear Used
        PRS CE 22 (Custom 5 / 59)
        Gibson Les Paul (Screaming Demon / Pearly Gates)
        Mesa Stiletto Ace
        Gurus 5015
        Mesa Widebody 1X12
        Pedalboard

Comment

The one brand I've noticed that seems to do a lot more than just "Metal" amps from that list of Metal amps is ENGL.

They've got a big list of models, and it seems they cover a broad range of sounds, from extreme brutality and tightness to something Marshall would be proud of.
          Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
          Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
          Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
          Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

If you're asking why a number of brands that aren't available at GC have gone under, maybe because it's because they're not sold at GC. Much as some of us bag on GC, the fact is that their volume and reach in the marketplace makes them very influential. If they're pimpin' your stuff, you're gonna get sales. If not, good luck with that.

When you get down to it, the real surprise is the number of indy brands that stay in business without being available at GC.
            Originally posted by LesStrat
            make sure that you own the gear, not vice versa.
            My Music

Comment

Originally posted by mwalluk View Post
              If you're going blast me at least be knowledgable and READ my post. I was simply asking, for other amps. NOT one's you could easily buy at a GUITAR CENTER like MESA, ORANGE, etc. I'm not disputing MESA makes high quality amps.
              I did read your post, where you clearly wrote that Fryette was not high end....What does the term "high end" even mean, if an entry amp @ $1500 isn't? Actually that's the only "qualification" that you mention in the post while you also declare that "mesa has reached marshall status"....status of what? Read it again and see what it implies.

This entire thread you keep going back and forth between "high end" and "sold at guitar center"...without actually specifying (until now) which one you want. Go back and read your own posts, or even the title...."aftermarket/boutique..."

I would recommend that you change the title/first post to "Hard to find amps not sold at guitar center"...which is a ridiculous concept anyway because Guitar Center is a dealer for most everything listed here. The stuff at the store is there because it sells but they will order just about anything for you.
              - KEVIN

MY BAND: http://thefathom.bandcamp.com

Budda Superdrive 80 II Half Stack; Mesa D-180 + Custom Emperor 2x12 Bass Cabinet
              Music Man John Petrucci (Scream'n Demon/Jazz); Ibanez S2120 (Full Shred set); Steinberger GR4
              Ibanez SR3006; Ibanez BTB1005

Originally posted by DankStar
              I'm the Betty Crocker Easy Bake OvenŽ of riffs. Ding! Another batch is done.

Comment

Metropoulos amps - plexi replicas you can take on the road.
                Tomaszewicz Amps
                Ugly Amps

All theses guys are very cool.
                I met all of them aty the last LA Amp Show.
                Last edited by Dirtbagg; 04-25-2011, 02:34 PM.
                Originally posted by Vincent Vespa
                Dirtbag is only half full of dirt. There rest of him is full of awesome.
                I'm as happy as a Tornado in a trailer park!! \m/

Guitar: Fender American Special Mahogany HSS Strat
                Charvel 275DX (Single coil Custom JB, Lil'59 in neck)
                Fender Std Fat Strat MIM (Crazy8 in the bridge, Lil'59 in neck)
                Amp: Line6 Spider2-30 watt
                Lil 5 Watter from Hell AX84 Hi-Octane
                Effects: Boss SD-1 DIY TS9 on Steroids MOD

Comment

Originally posted by ksmith63 View Post
                  I did read your post, where you clearly wrote that Fryette was not high end....What does the term "high end" even mean, if an entry amp @ $1500 isn't? Actually that's the only "qualification" that you mention in the post while you also declare that "mesa has reached marshall status"....status of what? Read it again and see what it implies.

This entire thread you keep going back and forth between "high end" and "sold at guitar center"...without actually specifying (until now) which one you want. Go back and read your own posts, or even the title...."aftermarket/boutique..."

I would recommend that you change the title/first post to "Hard to find amps not sold at guitar center"...which is a ridiculous concept anyway because Guitar Center is a dealer for most everything listed here. The stuff at the store is there because it sells but they will order just about anything for you.
                  Do you mind if we move on? Or do we need to keep beating this dead horse?
                  || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

Komet
                    Genz-Benz
                    Two Rock
                    Category 5
                    Last edited by Lazarus1140; 04-25-2011, 03:56 PM.
                    I am so close to retirement that I could play in a band full time. All I have to do is figure out what to use instead of money, improve my playing, learn some songs, and find some other musicians more talented than me who will do exactly as they're told. .

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by ksmith63 View Post
                        You've got some loose screws dude.

Your Wheaties... it would appear that someone might have urinated in them this morning.
                        "Always remember... all you do in life, comes back to you" - Roy Kahn, formerly of Kamelot, during the intro to "Karma" on their One Cold Winter's Night DVD

http://www.soundcloud.com/jwflamenco

Comment

Originally posted by Red_Label View Post
                          Your Wheaties... it would appear that someone might have urinated in them this morning.
                          Yes, they did. Regardless, I shouldn't have let it leak into this thread and have since apologized to mwalluk for being an ass. Now, back to my cereal.
                          - KEVIN

MY BAND: http://thefathom.bandcamp.com

Budda Superdrive 80 II Half Stack; Mesa D-180 + Custom Emperor 2x12 Bass Cabinet
                          Music Man John Petrucci (Scream'n Demon/Jazz); Ibanez S2120 (Full Shred set); Steinberger GR4
                          Ibanez SR3006; Ibanez BTB1005

Originally posted by DankStar
                          I'm the Betty Crocker Easy Bake OvenŽ of riffs. Ding! Another batch is done.

Comment

CELTIC Amplifiers
                            Support Code 211 - Stop the bad boys, you know COPS!
                            When we do right nobody remembers when we do wrong nobody forgets!
                            Red Devils - 1% all the way!
                            Screw anyone who post negative crap on my post!
                            Finding out that there really is a lot of traffic on the Highway to Hell, but no waiting line on the Stairway to Heaven.

Comment

Originally posted by Stratman View Post
                              CELTIC Amplifiers
                              If you start listing custom, semi-production amp makers the list gets really long. I'm not knocking Scott's product at all - there are plenty of happy Celtic owners here - but Celtic is not in the same league as Divided by 13, 65 Amps, et al. For example, I didn't list Randall Aiken but he's been around for a long time.

Chip
                              Last edited by Fresh_Start; 04-25-2011, 10:01 PM.
                              Heritage 535 Special, Warmoth frankenstrat, MIM Strat, & Taylor 314C(no E)
                              Amp Builds: Tweed Princeton (5F2-A) variation, 2 BF Princeton Reverb clones, & Super Reverb clone
                              Sometimes use a Blues Jr., Tech 21 Trademark 10 & Power Engine 60
                              SPG modded DS-1, TS-7 & CryBaby; Visual Sounds Rte. 66 & H2O; Guyatone Tremolo
                              SD pickups: SSL-2, APS-2, tapped Quarter Pound, Custom 5 & Antiquity humbuckers

"Conan! What are the best things in life?"
                              "Girls, guitars, guns and cars!"

Comment

Genz Benz was another. ANyone ever play the EL Diablo? I occasionally see them around
                                Originally posted by grumptruck
                                No I think James and Dave have that covered. You are obviously rocking way to hard.
                                Originally posted by Gear Used
                                PRS CE 22 (Custom 5 / 59)
                                Gibson Les Paul (Screaming Demon / Pearly Gates)
                                Mesa Stiletto Ace
                                Gurus 5015
                                Mesa Widebody 1X12
                                Pedalboard

Comment

Working...
                                X